Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Not a Troll] Sandman: what twaddle

Options
  • 30-10-2002 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

I was just browsing through my comic boxes the other day - you know how it is, revisiting my lost childhood, since I stopped buying sometime in 1995 it appears - when I chanced upon some Sandman.

I dunno if anybody remembers Sandman, but it was like crack for a whole generation of comics buyers. I remember people dressing up as Death - Dream's cute sister. I remember us sucking down each issue, eagerly dissecting each nuance, marvelling at how, well, challenging the high concepts contained in each issue were. And how it dealt with adult themes, like death and, erm, sex, and stuff. I remember early issues trading hands for a couple of hundred quid: and the trade paperbacks, well, you had to have those as well.

And so, last night, I took a couple - from A Dream of You - to read.

Man, it sucks. Big time. It's the worst form of self-indulgent ****. It's got no pace. It's got a lot of style -- so much, in fact, that it's garish and confused. It's heavy-handed in the way in which it deals with themes.

Is it me? Or was it always toss? And, on another theme, what comics did _you_ used to love, that now that you re-read them, you realise that it was tainted love, all along?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

None.....cause i've got good taste in comics hehehe

Nah - you looking to get rid of them then? I'm sure there would be a few people on here looking to take them off yer hands.

TBH I prefer older comics to what they're churning out now. Most superhero books have run out of stories and attempt to bring almost soap opera style shocks which don't really work.

I prefer older artists.....the old style from mid 80's to mid 90's. Back when stories were fresh. I mean I know what you mean about looking back and thinking this is crap but I find it's more that the new stuff is crap.

Every time I open a comic that I have in my collection I can pretty much remember where and when I bought it. The smell from the ink brings back childhood memories. Takes me back years and makes me feel good.

I know though that mine are mostly hero v villain style books and not really anything that entertained the idea of talking about current issues or relavant issues. Maybe this is why it's timeless - cause as society changes so do the issues, and what may have been important in a time gone by it wouldn't be the case now.

Adult themes? Sex? They've got condom machines in schools now - the topics have stayed the same but changed the goal posts.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

while there were some good stories in Sandman, most of what I've read (about the first half of the run) was pretentious ****. Too full of angst.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd disagree. I read Sandman for the first time with the past year. as an adult reader. Yes, alot of it's early stories are littered with some-what preteneous self-concious literary references. But, as the series progresses, these give way to an engaging plot arc, that entertained as well as taught a mature lesson on power and the responsiblies inherent with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I loves it :P so there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Unjaku

Nah, the Sandman is about as good as it gets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement