Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox and controls ???

Options
  • 28-10-2002 1:06pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Should i buy an Xbox?

I have been thinking of getting one but all thats holding me back is ,i heard wheels and pedals for it are poor and are likely to stay that way?
    Im into racing sims mostly.
    No comparison between wheel and a pad for sim racing.
    Also mouse is way better than a pad for FPShooters.
    Although ive had a go at halo ,i only spent about 20 mins each time and couldnt get used to pad controls.
    BUT ive heard people say give it time and one will get used to it.
    You see my friend who owns the xbox never played pc fps so he cannot comment,maybe someone used to mouse/keyboard can comment.
    Id love to link up with my m8 on Halo .
    "you havent given Halo enough time" i hear you guys say .True but he lives far away but is moving very close soon.
    I have a 100hz 32 inch widescreen tv so would u guys think XBOX is a sound investment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,471 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I play fps on the pc all the time, and loved the halo control's, use inverted setup tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Xbox is not a sound unvestment for "Sims" and "FPS" games, well not if you take them completely seriously as the PC hold the crown for those games.

A chipped Xbox is a good investment for many different reasons like the ability to use mame or to hold your entire Divx collection and watch them on your TV.

..but seriously its so bloody cheap now (they all are) you are not really making a huge commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

is xbox good investment: answer = yes

You will now get a couple of good games with it, and it has some quality games on the way out aswel..

for (£150 sterling) you cant loose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

The XBox original control is great - as is Controller S for those who, unlike me, have rather small hands.

The pedals are alright - but to be perfectly honest, you get a wider variety on PS2 - and all the best third party PS2 brands do a range of XBox stuff too ^_^.

Is XBox a sound investment now? Yes, and the deal is certain to get sweeter in 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

but they are evil, there are no decent games apart from halo and they are a big as a house. enough of my xbox bashing now. i do like the small controller though. does anyone know if a driver is in development for using it on a pc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Project Gotham Racing is the best multiplayer racing game ever, nothing better than racing down the tight streets in wall street with 4 players in f50's, its the best laugh i ever had with a multiplayer, timesplitters 2 is also an excellent multilplayer game, and it has most of the good ps2 games on it anyway, so you get all the good ps2 titles (apart from vice city) and some excellent x box only ones like halo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Yes, buy the Box,
    The console can only get better now and with teh currents prices your not going to hurt your bank account too much.
    The controller is definitly one of the most comfortable I have ever used, it reminds me of the DC one.
    It does take getting used to though.
    As for Halo on controller Vs Mouse, Well, the game would be a hell of alot better on a mouse, but thats mainly for multiplayer, for the single player the controller is perfect, and you will pick up the controls after an hour or two of play.
    Jet Set Radio Future is a nice game aswell, if u have the patience to figure out where exactly the Developers have place those tiny patches of Graffitti are.
    V-Rally is very good aswelll.
    One really kewl feature on a un-chipped X-Box is that u can store ur music on the box and play them in certain games (like V-Rally)
    Chipping the Box is the way to go, not for the piracy (which it tends to suffer from) but for what was said, teh capability of playing your Div-x's on it.

Also, X-Box live is on teh way soon enough, there are trials going on in Dublin atm.

Ahh, my two cents, now if u dont mind, Im rather tired after 3 days of lannage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Being a little more realistic than the crazed fanboys...

Yes, the Xbox is a decent investment now that it's halved in price - although wait until the beginning of next month to buy one, as you'll get Jet Set Radio Future and Sega GT 2002 for free when you buy an Xbox from then onwards. Neither one of them is a stunning game, but hey, it's two free games and JSRF is relatively good fun for a short while. The Xbox is a far more sensible price now, and it's pretty much justified by stuff like Splinter Cell, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Battle Engine Aquila - although it's still borderline, because there really isn't as much AAA content on the machine as there is on the PS2 and GameCube.

Controller-S isn't just for those with small hands - it's a far better designed and more ergonomic controller overall, and way more comfortable to use for long periods of play. You'll want to invest in a couple if you buy an Xbox.

Draffodx is wrong when he claims that most good PS2 games will be on Xbox as well - in fact, PS2 still has a lot of exclusives in the bag. Vice City is obviously an important one, but remember that Square are still developing exclusively on PS2 as well, along with many other Japanese developers. Many future Sega titles are PS2 exclusive too - not to mention SCEE's home-developed games like The Getaway, or stuff like Pro Evolution Soccer, Gran Turismo etc. Buying an Xbox in preference to a PS2 right now would be madness, frankly, unless there's a couple of really key Xbox games which you desperately want to play (Splinter Cell and Halo, say) - the Xbox, like the Cube, is still very much a "second console", something you buy AS WELL AS your PS2 rather than in preference to a PS2.

Oh, and as to Xbox Live - bear in mind that it's broadband only. 99% of Irish Xbox owners won't be able to play on Live for a very long time, so it's really not worth getting excited about right now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Thanks guys for info so far.
    Hmmm!
    Well ive been messing about with a borrowed PS2 all of today with mixed feelings.
    Toca race driver was a dissapointment,car graphics are nice as are track visuals but i found it impossible to look far down the tracks,ie it was very blurry[is this the low res of my tv compared to my pc monitor? ]
    Its very arcade like in physics department too.
    Colin mc rae rally 3 feels awesome but graphics are poor.
    Medal of honour frontline is ok but please tell me that Halo has better controls?
    Pro evo soccer is still king of footie games though.
    Over all graphics on games ive played on PS2 are poor IMO
    What ive seen on Xbox so far its visuals seem a lot closer to my PC.
    Yes PS2 has huge collection of software but Xbox power is a a big attraction if its collection of software improves.
    Thanks Shinji for tip about bundled pack with 2 free games ,i thought this was only in the states form Nov 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Hmm, I wouldn't say the PS2's graphics were poor - I'd say you've been a bit spoilt by the PC :) Stuff like Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid and ICO shows what the console is capable of when developers put their minds to it... The Xbox is certainly a more powerful system but at the end of the day, if the games aren't as good, who cares if they look better?

And yeah, the Xbox thing takes effect here on November 1st. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=868 (self-p1mp! :P)

• Advertisement

"Many future Sega titles are PS2 exclusive too - not to mention SCEE's home-developed games like The Getaway, or stuff like Pro Evolution Soccer, Gran Turismo etc."

This works both ways Shinji, many future sega titles are PS2 exclusive too - as are some of Microsoft's in-house games...

"Controller-S isn't just for those with small hands - it's a far better designed and more ergonomic controller overall, "

I'll throw up my hands and be honest, I haven't used this controller - nor do I have any intention to as of now. Why not? The XBox controller suits me perfectly, the PS2 controller by comparison has got to be the worst of the next gen efforts. GameCube has got... probably the best controller actually.

Shinji is right in one respect though, neither free game in this package is going to be life-altering, but it does provide you with some free entertainment when you get your XBox. This will be crucial in parents eyes when Christmas rolls around of course.

"Oh, and as to Xbox Live - bear in mind that it's broadband only."

Strategic decision, you cannot blame Microsoft for the fact that we have a sub-standard telecommunications network driven by pack of pencil-pushing pricks.

Anyway, it evens the gaming world out a bit - slow pings and whatnot generally screw up decent PC games, and since XBox Live games plan to be far more intensive online - well - lag would be far more obvious.

Fanboy? Me? :P I thought we ended this one a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Wellz He he I tink NoelStoen and Shinej are boeth STUPIED and WRONG and SMELLEY. And hear is WHYE:;#

TEH GAEMCUB is teh BEST NExt_genaartion consoel. It is quiet claer to me and anyoen whoe doesnet haev a WILLEY FOR A BARAEIN (haloe Shienji haloe NOELSTOEN) dat teh Playstaetion 2 n d X-B0x(MOER LIKE TEH ****-BOX LOL) r teh SUCK BAD in comparson. I wiell noew attmept to bacek up thies BOALD statemant wieht POINTSZ:

[LISt}
    [8] TEH GAEMUECB IS PURPAL!!! PURPAL SYMOBILEISES COOELNESS WHIEL TEH BLACK COLOARS OF TEH XBOXE AND PLAYSTAETION 2 SIGNIFEY DETAH AND DERESTRUCTIAN
    [(*] TEH GAEMCUBE CONTROLAER CAN BE HANDELD WITHUOET SEVAER DAMAEG TO UR HANDIES
    [*] NOELROECKE LIEKZ TEH XBOXE!!11 NOELROECK IS CLAERYLY A SMELLAEY TRAAMP WHO LIEVS IN DERALIECT SUGAR WAERHOUSES
    [9} SHIENJ LIEKZ TEH PS2!!1 NEED I SAEY MOER?// NO I DO'NT TINK SO
    ?LIST]

SO THAER YOU HAEV IT. I HOEP I HAVE ENLIGHTANED YUO IN TEH WAESY OF TEH NEX-GENERATION CONSALES. BYE BYE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

HAha wat a, n00bie!

wer wil we begen oh i no lets start write hear: Its' not, Called the "GAEMCUB" u MORON! I meen omg if u dont' no, how to spell Gaemcube u shudnt' b aloud near a nintendo console ( witch is 4 4 year olds ) nevr mind a PC!!

2ndaly! the gaemcube is alvailble in, black red green a swell u idiot! LittleTinyMan, is oveosely a JACKASS!!.

Lastly but not leestly lets see o yes! the X-Box contoler is quiet good i bet uve nevr used it u moron at leest its not, made for kiddieys hands!!

O and i all most 4got cud u pleez stop inslutin ppl u moron!

If you're gonna deform my name - I prefer LeonStone :)

Anyway! Moving on! In my opinion, the XBox control is pretty good - I've been playing for what, seven months now, with no problems. And if you don't like that - apparently Controller S is fairly good too, but I haven't used it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Well guys i picked up my Xbox today along with Sega gt 2002 and jet set radio for 249 euros.
    Of course i bought Halo aswell for 50 euros.
    Ive just come back from a mates house with my xbox and 32 inch W/S tv where we had 4 of us linked up with 4 mzchines and 4 tv.
    WOW it was great but those guys are too good for me ,there months at it.
    It was mighty fun even if i got my butt kicked :)
    Just wondering what you guys think is best sensitivity setting for controller in Halo?
    BTW i borrowed rallisport challenge ,certainly not a sim but amazing graphics with half decent handling make it fun.

Thanks to all for your input and advice.
    Im very happy with my purchase which started out when the wife said she would like a DVD player :D

Advertisement