Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name change?

Options
  • 26-10-2002 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Simple question.

Do you think that this forums name should be changed to "Irish".

Reason: A lot of people who haven't encountered Gaeilge/Irish (the language) before [and are curious about it] won't necessarily know the word "Gaeilge" and might think the language is called Gaelic or Irish. More people may know what the forum is about if the forum is called "Irish".

Just a thought...

Should the forum's name be changed? 26 votes

Yes, call it "Irish"
    0% 0 votes
    No, leave it as "Gaeilge"
    11% 3 votes
    Use both, call it "Irish/Gaeilge" or "Gaeilge/Irish"
    88% 23 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Whenever I visit the Gaieilgie board you are all speaking in Gaelic-speak so anyone visiting wouldn't understand the content either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I did originally ask people to translate their posts to English where its possible they wouldn't be understood but I guess I've been a bit lax in enforcing that.

I've added it to the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

If there is a change, then for equality's sake, the others should be changed too :D

I don't mind myself (where's the Atari Jaguar option??). Perhaps a locked sticky thread at the top with the subject "This forum is about the Irish Language, Dumbo"*

*Dumbo is optional :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Have them both there.
    I didn't vote 'cause that option wasn't there.

Originally posted by Gael
    Have them both there.
    I didn't vote 'cause that option wasn't there.

Feedback appreciated. I've added a third option and moved my own vote to it.

• Advertisement

Definitely a good idea

/me goes with Gaeilge/Irish option

Aontaím le Dún do Bhéal. Have both, but with gaeilge first then irish. I suppose we need a fourth choice then.

Or just change the one that's there? I don't think anyone really minds if it's Gaeilge/Irish v. Irish/Gaeilge, although the other way about I can see why it might niggle some.

[EDIT] See now it's already done.

Boy we're a bunch of fussy bástàrds :D [/EDIT]

But that's the best thing about us! Perfectionists to the end!
    As the saying goes:
    "Marbh ag tae agus marbh gan é"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Call it London/Derry... oops, misread it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

B'fhiú níos mó Gaeilge a scríobh ar an mbord seo, nárbh fhiú?

B'fhiú. Aon scéal agat a Yoda?

Níl, ach ceist. Cad as an focal "infear" .i. 'housewarming'? Níor éirigh liom an focal sin a aimsiú ach amháin i de Bhaldraithe agus in Ó Dónaill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

ceapaim go bhfuil gaeilge/irish an ceann is fearr, ach cen fath go bhfuil tu ar cur ceist ar an mbord, ni thagann aon duine anseo!

ba mhaith liom seans chun labhair le doaine eile le suim sa gaeilge. ta fhios agam nach bhfuil mo cuid gaeilge an-mhaith, ag ta me ag iarradh foghlaim.

Níl "Español/Spanish" ná "Français/French" curtha ar na mboird eile. Mar sin, níl aon sochar le baint as "Gaeilge/Irish" a úsáid.

(I'm posting this in English for two reasons - firstly because this particular subject is about people who mightn't understand what "Gaeilge" means, much less understand it, and secondly because I'm just after getting up and I can't talk in another language til I get a cuppa)

I get where you're coming from Yoda. As you can see above, I noted that in the interests of fairness, the other boards should be labelled equivalently also with an English label.

I can see why that might not be necessary for French, Spanish and Italian - their own words for their own language are all pretty similiar to their English counterparts. Japanese is simply labelled in English, although I think that putting "Nippon" would be acceptable, but only knowing a little bit about the language, I cannot judge in fairness.

German is labelled Deutsch, and has a certain similiarity with what is going on here in the Irish forum. Ask the common man on the street what they think Deutsch is in English, and I'd say that as many would think that it meant Dutch as those that know it means German. I can definitely see a case there for a name change, although I really don't care about what goes on there. If Deutsch is working fine for them, then grand.

But, and correct me if I'm wrong, as far as I know the vast majority of members of this board are Irish. In contrast to German, I'd say that there would be few people here who would not know that Gaeilge is the Irish word for Irish. If indeed they didn't then, coupled with the fact that it's placed under the Languages heading, they should work out that it is an Irish word, and probably does mean Irish.

I'm presuming that those who are from here and still manage to live without knowing what Gaeilge means (maybe they don't go outta the house?) and those that do not live in Ireland, will also realise that the Gaeilge board lies under the Languages section. If they are interested by languages, then they simply have to look at either the Gaeilge Charter or the Gaeilge Resources and it is really obvious what this forum is about:
    Rule 1 from the Gaeilge Charter:
    This board is for those who want to discuss the Irish language and/or those who want to converse in it.

I think that makes it clear enough.

Personally I think I would find no offence in having this forum renamed "Gaeilge/Irish", but I can see why people might have reservations. English is the language that pulled the carpet out from under the feet of Irish. I look at the 1901 Census and see that my Great Grandfather is a native Irish speaker, while my grandfather never heard Irish spoken at home. It is rather frustrating thinking that there is only a two generation gap between me and a whole generation of native Irish speakers.
    English is also the language that is threatening the very survival of Irish, as much in respect of non-native speakers and native speakers. English has brought with it a laziness when it comes to learning languages. I think this is one of the major factors that people have against introducing English into the very name of the forum, which is the one and only place on this Irish-based forum [edit](here I mean boards.ie as a whole)[/edit]where we can speak Irish and it will be acceptable.

[off-topic]I know it is also acceptable to speak English here (the majority of posts seem to be in English, and I'm guilty too), but I am a bit fed up by the people coming here and saying "I had to learn Irish in school so I hate it." Well exqueese me but I don't go to the Quake board (as an example) and say I hate Quake because the shaking makes my stomach sick and gives me a headache. I don't go to the music board and start spouting off that Pop sucks. Is there anyway a fairly worded rule could be made in the charter - if you're not making a constructive point, please don't post? I'm not talking about those debating about the obligatory nature of Irish in school, and whether it's fair or whatever, just those that start on that "I hate Irish (because I had to learn it). I think this is the only board that has regular comments about hating the subject of the forum. If you don't like it, don't post ffs.[/off-topic]

Also I feel that many people refrain from posting as Gaeilge because they don't have a great level of vocab and grammar (that is certainly my case), so I feel that posting should be encouraged as Gaeilge by making some kinda statement that it doesn't matter about your level of Irish - better make a mistake than not making the effort in the first place.

So I apologise to the Gaeilgóirí that would have more appreciated this reply as Gaeilge, but in the interests of comprehension by all (and nothing to do with the fact that I'm still tired :)) I think that English had to be the medium in question for my reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by Yoda
    Níl, ach ceist. Cad as an focal "infear" .i. 'housewarming'? Níor éirigh liom an focal sin a aimsiú ach amháin i de Bhaldraithe agus in Ó Dónaill.

Sin an chéad uair a chuala mé an focal sin... b'fhéidir gur "focal bolleacs" é? :P
    B'fhéidir go bhfuil sé go h-an óg...

An chéad uair eile a bhfuil tú in aice le guthán..booth eircom, léigh an "gaeilge" ar na comharthaí :)

"Fan le haghaidh an ton diallaithe."

hehe :P

Originally posted by dun_do_bheal
    I don't go to the music board and start spouting off that Pop sucks. Is there anyway a fairly worded rule could be made in the charter - if you're not making a constructive point, please don't post?

Well, I think we're all within our rights to go to the music board and express our disdain at how pocsaí a current trend of music is.

A non-constructive point can sometimes be a constructive point!
    Besides, pop nowadays (and for a long while) is a load of mo pholl.
    So I apologise to the Gaeilgóirí that would have more appreciated this reply as Gaeilge, but in the interests of comprehension by all (and nothing to do with the fact that I'm still tired :)) I think that English had to be the medium in question for my reply.

Also, I think for many people (me, at least), it's harder to write Irish than to speak it (ahh, did I put a séimhiú in that? wait, it's supposed to be a séimhiú... argh, it's past 8 am! bloody gaeilge/eircom! etc).

As far as I'm concerned posts in any language are equally welcome here. (though Gaeilge or English or some other language I can read is of course a plus :P)

Do I care about whether it's "Gaeilge" or "Gaeilge/Irish" or "Irish"? No.

Though I do feel somewhat sad to realise there are Irish people that don't know the irish for "Irish". :)

zynaps

Blimeh... well said, dun_do_bheal :)

I'll look at updating the charter when I get time to give it some thought.

Originally posted by zynaps
    Well, I think we're all within our rights to go to the music board and express our disdain at how pocsaí a current trend of music is.

A non-constructive point can sometimes be a constructive point!
    Besides, pop nowadays (and for a long while) is a load of mo pholl.

Okay, I picked a bad subject there - pop music is only part of the music forum. If I came in there and said that all music is cráp or whatever, would be more along the lines of what I was talking about. Kinda like a (perhaps) non-intentional kinda trolling :rolleyes: So all I was pointing out is that it was rather pointless going on about how you may hate Irish. Go into the French/Spanish forums (I can't speak for the other ones), and you won't hear people going on about how they hate the languages because they had to learn them. I know each on its own is not obligatory, but most people had to learn a foreign language for the Leaving Cert, most likely French, German or Spanish. In fact most people try to speak a bit, and do say they wish they had worked at it more. Much the same as what happens here but without the bìtching.
    Also, I think for many people (me, at least), it's harder to write Irish than to speak it

Same here, more's the pity.
    As far as I'm concerned posts in any language are equally welcome here. (though Gaeilge or English or some other language I can read is of course a plus :P)

Ok, well maybe someone coming here and speaking a language other than Irish or English wouldn't be quite right.
    Minä puhun vähän suomea, mä sinä et puhuu..
    See what I mean :)
    Though I do feel somewhat sad to realise there are Irish people that don't know the irish for "Irish". :)[/B]

Too true :(

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dun_do_bheal
    Japanese is simply labelled in English, although I think that putting "Nippon" would be acceptable, but only knowing a little bit about the language, I cannot judge in fairness.
    It should be relabelled "Nihongo". :)
    Personally I think I would find no offence in having this forum renamed "Gaeilge/Irish", but I can see why people might have reservations.
    Who asked for it anyway? This discussion seems a bit unnecessary.

It should be relabelled "Nihongo". :)
    Ah - that's it! Knew it was something like that. Nippon/Nihon is Japan itself, is it not?

Who asked for it anyway? This discussion seems a bit unnecessary.
    Bard - the forum Moderator - see the very first post in the thread:
    Originally posted by Bard
    Simple question.

Do you think that this forums name should be changed to "Irish".

Reason: A lot of people who haven't encountered Gaeilge/Irish (the language) before [and are curious about it] won't necessarily know the word "Gaeilge" and might think the language is called Gaelic or Irish. More people may know what the forum is about if the forum is called "Irish".

Just a thought...

I'd say it was far from unnecessary. I think it was something that had to come up sometime.

It was just a thought that entered my head. I'm not swayed either way myself and was curious as to what the general opinion would be.

As it turns out, there doesn't seem to be any one definite opinion from the looks of the poll result so far...

Don't change Gaeilge to anything else. Do change Japanese to Nihongo.

Do change Japanese to Nihongo.

That's probably more of a matter for Sico in the Japanese Forum

Tá Seapánais (gahh :P) ag mo deirfiúr beag freisin.. cén fáth/conas ar fhoghlaim tú é?

zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Actually Japanese was the only name appearing in English because thats what the ODP has:

http://directory.google.com/Top/World/

But anyway, I've introduced a dual naming convention - should suit everybody.

Wasn't too painful, was it :D

Advertisement