Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ut2003

Options
  • 24-10-2002 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Bought ut 2003 on sunday not exactly a taxing game & a sever lack of maps available with the game, I have to say I'm a bit disapointed

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

& a sever lack of maps

There are 37 maps in the game,id say thats plenty and lots available already to download from 3rd party makers.
    Graphics in UT2003 and No-one lives forever 2 make a laugh of all other games.
    I think some of the DM maps are too small but maps for Bombing run and Capture the flag are superb.
    I prefer playing all game modes and maps with the Zoom-instagib mutator .
    Overall its a great game ,even my 56k can cope with online play.
    When one sees this game running on a Geforce 4 TI or Radeon 9700 jaws will hit the floor.

Just a quick screenie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

the game is great fun, the forest map is cool, its a pity that lag kills me half of the time, yes that Zoom-instagib mutator is really great and the graphics are amazing the best fps i have seen yet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

The game is ****e. Its unreal Tournament with an updated engine. La dee da. Right the graphics look nice, but the weapons are the same, the gameplay is the same, its all exactly the same. If I wanted I could go out and buy Unreal tournament for €5 on replay and save €45 or whatever.

Best game of the year, pfft...the year aint over yet. 'Sides the graphics on morrowind are miles better, the rendering of the water is awesome, what makes UT2003 look so nice is good textures rendered with silly hardware.

That said, bombing run is perhaps its only redeeming feature.

Ivan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Originally posted by Dcully
    I prefer playing all game modes and maps with the Zoom-instagib mutator .

Rail Wh0re!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I have never been a fan of FPS MP with lasers and stuff,but UT2003 is amazing im hooked on it.
    Also until Doom 3 comes out it is thee best Graphics engine around.

Its the 1st game to use to the Q3 engine.
    Look at Fakk2 that was the 1st game to use the Q3 engine and look how far that has come.
    That engine for UT is awesome well it is on my pc :)

Kdja

'Sides the graphics on morrowind are miles better, the rendering of the water is awesome, what makes UT2003 look so nice is good textures rendered with silly hardware.

Yes Morrowind water on a GF4 is amazing ,the best pixel shading ive ever seen,but the rest of the textures ie buildings,land etc are good but not in UT 2003 league.

Did you see water effects in NOLF2? stunning also.

Ive got to say that nothing matches UT2003 for getting your adrenaline flowing.[nonot the adrenaline thingy ingame:) ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

Great game!

Need to know one thing though , how do u use the 'Adrenaline' ?
    Can't figure out what button i need to press.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Just a quick screenie.

If that is considered a good example of the graphics in the game then it leaves alot to be desired. Yes I agree that the map maker put alot of work into the architecture but where are the textures. Q3 texturing is a hell of alot better than that, and how old is that game now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The game is decent enough but far from game of the year.
    If you're looking for the nicest looking water effects just look at mario sunshine. Far better than unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Actually Severance had pretty good water effects also.

UT2003 is great. I'm a huge fan of the original and of course the graphics are outstanding, however, I can't quite put my fingers on it, but something about it leaves me cold, perhaps the weapons just don't feel as meaty even though by and large they are the same. Or perhaps I'm just too used to the old one. Nevertheless I'm going to have fun playing it.

Really shows off the GF4 tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It think it's time tp upgrade the auld computer. Why the kept the woeful blob launcher is beyond me. Mines maybe but not green blobs. Can't wait to see what other companies do with the engine.
    Not looking forward to Unreal 2 though. Legend are pretty shoddy developers and the hot big breasted 'chick' that helps you seems to indicate that the game designer is a fat american geek who never got laid, has never seen the sun, lives on a diet of pizza crust and has a imagination that was rotted away by too much battlestar galactica and star trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

Originally posted by Wook
    Great game!

Need to know one thing though , how do u use the 'Adrenaline' ?
    Can't figure out what button i need to press.
    Tap:
    2 times forward + 2 times back = Booster (adds 5 to hp per sec and then armor)
    4 times forward =speed
    4times back=berserk
    2right + 2 left = invisibility.
    (or something like that. I prob mixed up the power ups - buttons. Aint played the game much)

To say that its exactly the same as UT is a bit weird seeing as the community says it feels more like Quake. The double jump being a major change and adrenaline. Maps are larger tho the guns are the same. Its a sequel. what u expect? :p

Cant really play it yet. waiting on gfx card :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Who cares about the graphics?

a game earns its merit on gameplay not graphics

most of the guns are the same but where is my beloved sniper rifle, i hate the damn lightning gun its not a proper snipers weapon, and i'm also not very skilled in its use which is another factor.

The games fun to play so what if its similiar to UT, if it aint broke dont fix it and UT wasn't broke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

yea well the graphics are nuts to say the least. however, the gameplay is lacking too much. sure its good and all but where is my beloved assault game mode?????? with out that....i dunno....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Double Domination rocks - with people though, its a bit crap with bots.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Can't fault the graphics, it's beautiful.

But the gameplay.. where is it? it's just the same thing we have seen for the last few years. It's getting stale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

But the gameplay.. where is it? it's just the same thing we have seen for the last few years.

Actually, I'd argue the opposite - it's a long time since we saw a decent deathmatch style game. Everyone has been attempting to emulate CS badly for the past couple of years... In fact, the last really good deathmatch game was probably Unreal Tournament, and it suffered from such severe tech problems on most machines as to be unplayable for a lot of people.

UT2k3 is a welcome break from CS clones; it's got gorgeous graphics, fun physics and weapons, well-designed levels and some fantastic game modes - with Bombing Run and Double Domination both being real nail-biters to play online or on a LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

My opinions on UT2003 are clouded by the fact that my geforce2mx can't really handle the graphics. I like that they've changed the rocket launcher so that lmb fires a single rocket like Quake but I don't like the loss of the sniper rifle (yeah I know the lightening gun is exactly the same but it doesn't feel the same blah blah rant rant).

There's something about the physics that feels a bit odd also, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Probably that it's not Quake 3, but I'm always saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

I thought the game felt a bit clunky till I started flying around the place like so

The game is great fun, the graphics are awesome and the potential for mods is infinite. I love the game and am hooked on instagib anything :) especially instagib ctf (with no mutzoom mutator, allows for less campy/snipey play imho)

dm maps are poor apart from leviathan/tokara forest/asbestos and antalus. (antalus being my fave atm)

You do need a nice setup to enjoy the game, wait till nv30 hits along with ati's latest offerings, this game was made to be pld on tomorrow's hardware :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Shinji
    Actually, I'd argue the opposite

Well we have to agree to disagree then. :) I would be more intrested in seeing Unreal 2, as the single player should rock.

But as for multiplayer, if it has less then a 1000 players in the game I'm less inclined to play it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭Sand

The games not fun tbh - or at least not as much fun as UT. The weapons seem kinda pansy, with UT you feel like youre on a misson from god with the firepower at your disposal. There was a lot of moaning about the power of every single weapon in UT (sign of balance imo ) and practically every single one has been nerfed, except for rl which owns all other weapons. This is where a lot of Q3 clone accusations have come from imo- along with the rail-gun-like Lightning gun.

CTF maps are by and large a load of rubbish, only 4 i think are in any way playable for a good game. TL is also limited, meaning youre not going to get the same level of 3d in battles and youre not going to see as much rapid action to a game. DM seems more fun than CTF scarily enough which is a sign of how bad the CTF is:|

Even if you dont agree with my opinion on the gameplay youd still be best not to purchase the game- yet anyway. Its not finished. You get less out of the box than you got with UT, 3 years later. Just downloading a patch that adds the integrated chat that UT had out of the box
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Originally posted by Sand
    There was a lot of moaning about the power of every single weapon in UT (sign of balance imo )

No, there wasn't. There was a lot of moaning about the power of one or two weapons. Which, in fact, is a sign of unbalance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

played this at a lan and quite frankly LOVED IT !

it seems fast - smooth - and very lovely to look at

ohh I hope some clever bods brings a TF Mod for it

No, there wasn't. There was a lot of moaning about the power of one or two weapons. Which, in fact, is a sign of unbalance

[Rocket/Shock/Flak/Sniper - delete as appropriate ] whore :D

[Mini/Pulse] rape :D

Only weapons that were unbalanced - cos they were pants- were the ripper and the bio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

bios is quite powerful tbh ;x
    can kill a sb'd person with one powered up glob :x

Yeah but while youre trying to get close enough to get me with it....:D

Advertisement