Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unbelievably Seinfeld

Options
  • 23-10-2002 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Seinfeld's detractors' main complaint is that after Larry left, the show began to use unbelievable, stupid plots & the characters became exaggerated. I of course dissent those accusations, as I'm sure all fans will, but when I thought about it now some episodes could be perceived as a little surreal (The Bizarro Jerry, The Susie & more). What do you think? Have you ever seen something happening on Seinfeld & said to yourself "no chance this could ever happen in reality"? Please tell me what you guys think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

The bit at the end of "The Pothole" when the Keyring is blasted out of the hole, and similarly the buring Inferno Newman is engulfed.

Also...

The Sound effects of Jerry being dragged by the car driven by the Mandelbaums in "The Blood"

and...

George's "Atari like" dodging of traffic in the Frogger

Although things did get a bit SciFi at times post the Larry David writing era, I think most oif the audience appreciated it to a certain degree as nothing was ever overtly unrealistic- it was more artistic licence.

Some of the things that were done were not LD's style but I still liked most of the later seasons :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 AstralCar

Same here. It's funny how you mentioned The Pothole, I was recalling it as another example a few minutes after I posted the topic. I loved the post Larry series too, I didn't even notice he was gone until I was told so. It's quite psychological really because if you don't try to compare the seasons you just enjoy the show no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by AstralCar
    It's quite psychological really because if you don't try to compare the seasons you just enjoy the show no matter what.

Totally agree with you.
    It was different but still brilliant whether you were aware LD had left or not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I think the post David era was good but a had a completley difference tone, the writers veerred away from LD's dark scripts and adopted a lighter fresher tone but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing, of course LD's input was missed but the writers made up for that to make us laugh time and time again, each week Sein stayed unpredictable you didn't know what would happen next. If there was one part of an ep that I would say was unrealistic it would have to be Frank and Estelle trying to find time to be together in The Junk Mail since when have F&E liked each other?

The best ep from the final 2 years would have to Yada Yada and 80p's fave of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 AstralCar

You know I'd go for The Betrayal, but everyone's entitled to her/his opinion :D

In The Betrayal something even more unbelievable happens - Kramer tells us that Newman has been "extremely lucky with birthday wishes", but it takes much more than just luck & a few blown candles to go out with a Penthouse model.

• Advertisement
Advertisement