Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scary Games

Options
  • 23-10-2002 7:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

I find myself trying to play games like silent Hill and resident Evil and the likes. The new Doom looks even more scary then the others. One problem though, don't ever creep upon me while i am playing those games because i will jump up in Fear and die because my heart just exploded..often i would need to take a break from it all just because of this constant paranoid feeling of monsters lurking everywhere. Any of you have a problem playing these things ? Or what's your best example of a game that scared the living sh*t out of you and why-how ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great question....

The original System Shock did it for me. You wake up on a space station after 6 months sleep and everyone appears to be dead. The little snippets of logs that you find everywhere build up a sense of dread at what's to come. Excellent use of sound, fantastic story and some scary-as-hell confrontations.... brilliant.

For me, System Shock 2 couldn't top it.....

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Didn't ever get to play the first System Shock but the second one frightened the poo out of me.

K

Keep an eye on the System Shock Hack Project. I hope the guy is still working on it (it hasn't been updated since August).

http://madeira.physiol.ucl.ac.uk/tsshp/sshock.html

I think there is another hack project in progress too, but I can't find the link....

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Yeah SS was a classic game.
    Never got into SS2 tho, didnt seem as good.

AvP/2 are both bloody scary games as the marine, the pred and the alien arent too bad but the marine is just dead meat tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

damn system shock...been ages...i am getting old :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

I got the game "The Thing" there not too long ago,
    Was playing it in a cold and dark appartment on Echelon Street one night, had to stop playing the game cause i was ****ting myself,

Pokémon is pretty scarey too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

avp - pant wetting stuff.
    resident evil 2 - there's this bit where a licker crawls across the outside of a window, makes me jump every time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Alien vs Predator: as a marine its incredibly dark and scary. Level 1 with its initial lack of any aliens and you wandering about in the near dark... until the trademark beep comes up on your radar - really reminded me of 'Aliens'. Absolutely excellent. Also at any point where you get facehugged, definitely a brown trouser moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Both the Doom games, number 2 especially, the way the light flickered and all of a sudden a few doors would go up and you'd suddenly be surrounded by growling monsters, nearly sh*te myself on more than one occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

What about that part in the mines in the orginal Unreal, where you were at the end of a long lit up corridor, picked up the powerup and looked out as all the lights went out in the corridor one by one and when completely dark a beastie came running for you. That was pretty good. Aside from that I reckon Silent Hill has it all sewn up.

Did like the part in the original RE where near the start the dogs came bursting through the window. Didn't half **** myself.

The truly scariest gaming moment I ever had though was when I bought Carmageddon for the PSX and 'played' it (if moving - or trying to move - a block of cheese on wobbly wheels through the ugliest levels in the world can be considered playing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Quigs Snr
    Did like the part in the original RE where near the start the dogs came bursting through the window. Didn't half **** myself.

hehe, you just reminded me of that. I'd never seen a PS before, let alone RE, and when that happened I nearly jumped. Also in Aliens, was the first time I'd ever played a PS, and crappish as it was, I was failry scared (I was also fairly drunk too, which prolly explains a lot)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Silent Hill is probably one of the most atmospheric game I've ever played - it really instills a true sense of uneasyness and fear in you rather than games like Resident Evil which rely on "tum tee tum.. AAAAAAAAARGH IT'S A MONSTER!!" style shock tactics. In Silent Hill you're never quite sure where you stand when it comes to plot, but you always know enough to be completely captivated and intruiged by it... trying to find out what a certain thing was or why something happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Never been scared of a game, completed SS1 and SS2, fun but not scary, and completed some RE games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Project Zero and the original Silent Hill are the only games which really badly creeped me out. Superbly made, both of them - well worth a play if you enjoy icy fingers gripping your heart... Be sure to play at around 2am with ALL the lights off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Yup, cant beat the Silent Hills for chocolate soup trouser moments.

The jail in SH2, your standing in a corridor and you can hear this thing that sounds like a really big monster, you cant see the git but its setting off your radio. Scary stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

aye im dyin to play this project zero game
    finally ordered it off play
    bargain at 17.99 sterling aswell
    outta stock atm though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

Can really vouch for scary ps games as I've only played Res evil
    1 (which was as scary as lego racer tbh) but heres some scary
    games Ive played on the faithful pc:

Clive Barkers Undying, AvP 1 (2.... wasnt), System Shock 2 (Never
    played 1 :/), Doom 1&2, The Thing...

Scariest being clive barkers....

The start of halflife has got to get a mention :) Got it free with my
    3d card (voodoo2 12mb fwooor) way back when it was first
    released and I hadnt heard anything about it. And needless to
    say when things went hairwire- I was on the edge of my seat the
    whole way :)

Oh berserkers in quake II... that machine-ish howl they had, had
    its moments :D

The truly scariest gaming moment I ever had though was when I bought Carmageddon for the PSX and 'played' it (if moving - or trying to move - a block of cheese on wobbly wheels through the ugliest levels in the world can be considered playing).
    2 seriously scary gaming moments there!
    carmageddon must be the worst pc to psx conversion i've ever seen, a classic example of the reverse midas touch.
    that bit in re always makes me jump out of my skin, no matter how much i prepare for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Undying is pretty scary. Some weird Hellraiser-esque moments in that. Very very Clive Barker. Some weird parts with children giggling and blood smeared on beds. Creepy.

The main character is Irish too ;)

Just remembered another scary game. Realms of the Haunting by Gremlin. Came out about 4 or 5 years ago on the PC. It had a pretty advanced 3D engine (for its time), and had some serious brown trouser moments.

I can't remember the characters names, but one of the main bad guys was a seriously evil bast*rd who had some great lines. One I remember went something like "Do humans still.... bleed?".

Great story (apocalyptic end of the world type dealie) and some great cinematics (it came on 4 CDs so there were alot of very entertaining live action cutscenes).

Man, I'd forgotten all about it......

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

quote:

I'm still in therapy after that one....also the maze levels in max payne with the baby and wife sobbing in the background are freaky as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Yup there were some fairly scary parts in Re, and a couple of places where u would get a shock in Dino Crisis. Also s8n said, in Max Payne, that was a really trippy part of the came. I remember playing it late at night and u could really get wrapped up in the camp, it was mad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Resident evil, when you try to open the main mansion dors and a mutated mutt starts butung your nose hair..... jumped a few feet the 1st time for sure :)

AvP as marine is surely time for new underwear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

The movie scenes in RE are pretty scary
    When you first see the hunters too

all this re talk is making me want to buy a gamecube:(
    resi 0 is looking v tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Clive Barkers undying was creepy...Especially with 5.1 sound at 12 midnight with lights off

Mario is pretty scary aswell, some little freak jumping about eating "magic mushrooms" and squashing poor defenceless animals. Such horror

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

AvP was freaky, running around the place with the radar going bleep, bleep and as it gets faster you know the aliens are getting closer... bleep, bleep, bleep, bleep

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

There was a mode in AvP where it was just marines fighting, and
    you could turn off all the lights. You had to use nightvision which
    meant you couldnt use the motion tracker. Now that was scary
    stuff :) Squinting at the blurry distorted screen at anything that
    looked threatening (read everything ;)) and jumping a mile when
    it shot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

damn gotto get myself a copy of AVP...is it playable with marines ?

• Advertisement

avp is well worth a buy, the gold edition should only be about 10 yoyo.
    i've only really played it as the marine & predator so far, the alien mode seems utterly crap.

Advertisement