Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing a unique new instrument

Options
  • 22-10-2002 12:27pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, I'm currently doing a Masters in Music Technology. Got an assignment to design a new instrument...something unique....have to actually make it and then give the physics and maths behind why it works...e.g. the formulas as to why it makes the sounds, etc.

I was thinking about some type of new age trombone or saxophone made from cardboard toilet roll holders. Does anyone happen to know any sites where I could research these ideas further?...or if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DMX

cool,what a cool assignment,i don'tknow of anysite or anything but i wish u luck in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

no, no you should definitely use strings because, f=1/2l[^u/t]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Did you ever see that pedal powered one on the discovery channel.

Its pedal powered and has bowls and play it with the tips of your wet fingers its about 200ish years olde.

Make a 3d instrument thats a room (a round room)you walk into and the walls are plain but pitch chages from top to bottom and it will be crazy

but why not get a :

CRYBABY GCB-95 GUITAR EFFECTS PEDAL ~NICE~.

Original vintage effect
    Ultra heavy-duty durability
    Smooth operation and easy control
    Made in the USA.

IT IS IN VERY GOOD LOOKING AND WORKING CONDITION. THERE IS NO INSTRUCTION MANUAL, AC ADAPTOR OR ACCESSORIES INCLUDED (IT AINT ROCKET SCIENCE!!). WHAT YOU SEE IN THE IMAGE IS WHAT YO WILL RECEIVE. (MAIL ME FOR PIC)

€140 Will Post anywhere for €5

P.s.

I cant post on sales board for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Hey how about stop posting about that wah pedal, which is 140euro new!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

hmmm....ok...but I still need a few more solid ideas.

I was thinking about getting 8 flagon bottles and filling them all with a certain amount of water...then blowing across the top of them to produce 8 different notes...as in the standard notes....

...any idea how I could construct something to move the air tube which I blow in around so that it covers the different bottle tops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Here is an orchestra who play vegetable instruments....

http://www.gemueseorchester.org/anfang_e.htm

Nice idea :)

MP3s available for download too....

- Dave.

Advertisement