Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed Camera Vandals

Options
  • 15-10-2002 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

This from the front page of the local rag, The Meath Chronicle....

http://www.unison.ie/meath_chronicle/stories.php3?ca=34&si=845597&issue_id=8181

Vandals Manage To Put Garda Speed Cameras Out Of Action

"TWO speed detection cameras on either side of Dunshaughlin have been put out of action after being attacked by vandals.

The lens of one camera was sprayed with aerosol paint and the other lens was damaged, rendering them inoperable. The vandals’ action has been roundly condemned in the village but particularly by public representatives and the Gardai.

Councillor Oliver Brooks said that he was extremely disappointed that the cameras had been attacked. “Anybody who knows the village will realise the volumes of traffic going through all day every day. I work on both sides of the street and it can often take 10 to 15 minutes to get across to the other side,” he said.

“These cameras are essential to the people who live here because at the very least they act as a deterrent to people who are speeding. This is a very dangerous place and I can only hope that they will be restored as soon as possible,” he added.

Colr. Brooks said that he would be raising the matter with the authorities to see about having the cameras repaired and restored. “In the meantime, I condemn this act of vandalism - it could put people’s lives in danger.”

Garda Superintendent Pat Lambe, Ashbourne, said that the attack on the cameras “shows a complete disrespect for the law.”

He said: “They were put there for the very good reason that the people of that area can expect to go about their business without having to run the gauntlet from speeding drivers. It certainly shows a certain amount of contempt for what the Gardai are trying to do. Do these people not realise that their own families could become victims of road accidents through speeding? There has been a number of accidents in this area and everyone here knows the dangers involved,” said Supt. Lambe."

So the haven't heard of meths then? Daft......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

well the fact that the town is a major bottleneck means cars have to slow down and crawl into the town from about 2 miles outside the town, so cars are only gonna be doin about 15 - 20miles?? coming into the town, thats one reason the speed cameras are pointless and have no effect on traffic speed in the town.

another point is that the cameras are miles outside the town, so people who are speeding slow down for the cameras, then build up there speed again coming into the town!!

for speed cameras to actually keep everyone at the 60mph speed limit ya would want one every mile atleast, thats not possible and the goverment wouldnt make money out of it then would they??

speed cameras are just an extra bit of income for the goverment, why are they on long straight stretches of the road where cars can safely go a few miles over the limit to overtake or whatever and not just before dangerous parts of roads, where they'd make a car slow down for a high risk road crossing or something like that?

hopefully the penalty points system wont turn into the same kinda money making scheme to line the pockets of goverment ministers.

It'd be nice to see some of that money from them cameras and taxed insurance goin back into the roads for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I doubt we'll see that tbh. This is Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

No, draffodx, the cameras themselves are pointed away from the village. The one between the County Club and Fairyhouse/Trim road junction is facing in that direction, going towards Dublin, and the one the north of Dunshaughlin is to catch traffic who've just gone through it, picking up speed after the crawl through the village on the way to Navan, northbound.

They are positioned correctly, to maximum effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

my mistake, but then why are they complaining about the effect it'll have on the town when they clearly have none?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by DMC
    No, draffodx, the cameras themselves are pointed away from the village. The one between the County Club and Fairyhouse/Trim road junction is facing in that direction, going towards Dublin, and the one the north of Dunshaughlin is to catch traffic who've just gone through it, picking up speed after the crawl through the village on the way to Navan, northbound.

They are positioned correctly, to maximum effect.

If they are pointing away from the town they have no affect on safety for the townspeople, just like every other speed camera I have seen in ireland they are positioned to maximise the chances of catching speeders by placing them on open straight stretches of road. The first thing that always comes out of the mouths of politicians and gardai is this safety crap. If they were serious about improving road safety they would do something about the real cause of most accidents; the lousy standard of driving in Ireland.
    Instead of erecting speed cameras and sending gardai out to sit on their arses pointing speed guns down motorways, they should have them cruising around in unmarked cars citing people for the plethora of stupid and dangerous driving that is normal on Irish roads.
    The driving test is pathetic, a majority of people never go over 30 mph, it's no wonder they haven't a clue how to drive on Motorways, main roads and country roads. As for those who were handed licences without ever having taken a test, they should all be tested now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

hehe, I know what your saying and I agree, its just local councillor waffle, but you can never go quickly through Dunshaughlin!! Its a speed trap in itself! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

speed cameras ahhh, but what if i want to get from grafton street to the vortex in only 20 mins Hah!.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

The particular cameras in question have been spray painted for at least a year.
    The reason no-one seemed to cop on to this was due to these cameras being dummies, therefore they are never visited for a film change.

Advertisement