Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 1942 - lacks depth and atmosphere

Options
  • 14-10-2002 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I know I posed a thread before asking whether this was a good or bad game and if it was just me. I have come to the conclusion following on-line and AI games that it lacks depth and atmosphere.

I can not fault it technically as the guns, tanks and cars are superbly done.

What would have made this a great game:
    a) like in Flashpoint you should be able to command your troops
    b) rather than ticks/flags (which is ok for a frag fest - but this type of game is just not intended for that), there should be objectives

Thus, if it could merge the up close action and atmosphere of MOHAA (or even the atmosphere of H&D), the tactical elements of Flashpoint and BF1942 as is, then it could become the game of the year – but it doesn’t.

The Duke

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭DrizztIE

............. well just get best of RAM and the best graphics card available and it should work... hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

You can command your troops, all the Radio commands along the top of the screen, use the F keys. If you are referring to playing with bots, then I agree its just as playable and fun with the bots as the single player side of Quake3.

The close range fighting is messed up due to dodgy netcode, should be fixed in the next patch(s).

When playing a multiplayer game, the atmosphere comes from those playing. If they play as a team, with a plan, then its a very atmospheric game. Its a great LAN game for that reason.

I dont mind the Flags\Bases objectives. Im sure future patches or Expansion packs will add different objectives, but for now, its ok.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

It has a single player mode?

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Originally posted by Dr_Teeth
    It has a single player mode?

Teeth.

Who cares?

Multi-Player is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I would imagine that those of us with modems care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

If you want to play single player, then buy OFP, its vastly superior in that regard.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TheDuke

in fact, I've got ISDN but anything above 15 players busts the pipe. Even at 15 it's arround 100+ ping, with all the DSL guys at 30 - easy knowing who gets his ass kicked.

If interrested in the DSL discussion go to the Ireland offline board.

The Duke

Originally posted by Slydice
    Who cares?

Multi-Player is excellent

There's nothing more like fighting against other players (humans) to find out how good you really are at those computer games, not BOTS, I hate BOTS, they're slow and don't know what to do most of the time. NO CHALLENGE.

Anybody outhere agree with me?

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    If you want to play single player, then buy OFP, its vastly superior in that regard.

Matt

Please specify how "it's vastly superior to that regard"[\B] please

Advertisement