Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will ADSL prices fall?

Options
  • 12-10-2002 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I was having an argument with a friend of mine via aim there last week over the costs of internet here in Ireland. He (well, his dad :D) has got I-Stream from Eircon, and he was trying to convince me to get it too.

According to him, the price is going to fall massively, the caps will be done away with, and flat rate dialup will be released too, all by this time next year. Now, I am well aware from what I have read on this forum in the past few months that the odds on this happening any time soon are next to nil, but it will have to happen eventually, right?

So, when do you think that Eircon will drop the price for ADSL? Also, when they do it, why will they do it? Regulator action? Political pressures? Or maybe even, God forbid, competition?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭molinaalexis

They will do it when they stop using their arse instead of their brain, if you can call that a brain:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I am well aware from what I have read on this forum in the past few months that the odds on this happening any time soon are next to nil

Well, I personally don't believe that, and I don't think you should either. It can't be denied that we're often negative and pessimistic in here, but that's more cynicism than anything else. I find that a pinch of salt and a dash of homegrown cynicism works wonders to correct it.

but it will have to happen eventually, right?

Almost certainly. Even with a limited amount of competition, prices for wired comms in Ireland have come down quite a lot, and this should happen in the Internet sector too. However it's not guaranteed, as the mobile sector has demonstrated. We're going to need to keep the pressure on for some time to come -- whether it'll be IrelandOffline that does that remains to be seen, but someone will have to do it.

So, when do you think that Eircon will drop the price for ADSL?

I have no idea. I'd like to say soon, but data is too sparse to make an accurate judgement just yet. A lot depends on Esat BT and Nevadatele and other operators I'm afraid.

Also, when they do it, why will they do it? Regulator action? Political pressures? Or maybe even, God forbid, competition?!

It depends, on quite a lot of factors. It depends on how long the Government takes setting up the new Commission; it depends on who is on that Commission, and who is the chair of that Commission; it depends on whether Esat BT is serious about their push for competition, or just trying to pull the wool over our eyes; it depends on whether or Nevadatele is going to roll out services, and whether other operators are negotiating; it depends on whether our Government can figure out the importance of the Internet or not.

So you can see that, just like many other topics of discussion on this forum, there's no easy answer. We have to attack on all fronts. That's why Dave needed a holiday. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I'm usually rather pessimistic, but I strongly believe that for the first time in years actual progress is being made (just check the press releases on Esat's web site, or recent posts here). We're closer to having true flat-rate than we ever have been. This is thanks to pressure from IOFFL and its members, Esat's new management, UTV's new vigor and partnership with with nevada, and lots besides.

Regarding ADSL pricing and caps, they're bound to come down. The questin is not if, but when.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Regarding ADSL pricing and caps, they're bound to come down. The questin is not if, but when.

(...and by how much...)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

I remember reading an article in the The Irish Times where they asked Eircom when ADSL prices will come down. The article stated that a decrease in prices will happen but that it is unlikely to happen this year. More likely very early next year.

I really don't think it will fall from €107 to €30 - €40 which is needed to attract the mainstream user. It bet it will be the second of what will probably be 3 or 4 cuts before it reaches some degree of affordability.

It is still possible that NTL, IT's TV, irishbroadband.ie or someone else might force Eircom's hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

I'm hoping ntl manages to take advantage of their position, since they seem to have a headstart on a broadband infrastructure thing...

Does anyone know if eircom are actually working on ADSL? More specifically, are they extending their coverage, which seems to be limited to the amount of people you could probably fit into Burger King on a Monday morning?

The fact that they have ~34 exchanges in the whole of Dublin (anyone know about the rest of Ireland? is there a coverage map?) apparently dsl enabled, and have absolutely no guarantee at all that people on those exchanges will actually have line quality sufficient for dsl, nor can they even give an explanation or an affirmation that they can remedy the problem should the user's line fail (as mine did) is somewhat discouraging.
    (not that I would have signed up for dsl at current prices, I was just curious)

zynaps
    (apologies if that was incredibly difficult to read :P)

Advertisement