Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft has to test Xbox on LAN

Options
  • 11-10-2002 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

From todays Times. Sad but true...
    Here's irony for you: Microsoft is testing the online gaming capabilities of its Xbox console on its own internal network in the Republic because of a lack of decent broadband connectivity in Dublin.
    "Obviously the Xbox is about broadband, the Xbox is about online gaming, it's about making people want to have broadband in their home," Microsoft Ireland's entertainment manager Mr John Guest told an audience at technology entrepreneur networking event, First Tuesday, last week. "I feel the same aggravation you do about the lack of development [of broadband] in Ireland."

Meanwhile in Britain, about a million people have now signed up for broadband access....

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2002/1011/1877297547BWNET11.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

nice to see the big companies talking to the big papers about this though! Come on Ireland.com you KNOW you would do better if we had flat rate dialup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Broadband != flat rate dialup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

have a read through all the (many) other topics on the forum. Many people believe (including myself) flat rate 56k access leads to casual internet users using the internet for more than just email - as they are no longer watching the clock online. This eventually means when they are offered broadband (for a slightly higher flat rate) they are MUCH more likely to go for it than if they are clockwatching 56k users. Flat rate dialup paves the way for large scale broadband takeup.

So while broadband might not == flat rate dialup, they are certainly linked and equally important to this country's internet future.

My basic point was: hooray for xbox talking to the irish times about this, but lets also see all those other irish companies (especially entirely web based ones) push for this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by LoBo
    have a read through all the (many) other topics on the forum. Many people believe (including myself) flat rate 56k access leads to casual internet users using the internet for more than just email - as they are no longer watching the clock online.

Perhaps they are not watching the clock on the wall, but they are still watching a little blue bar filling up (pff, the downloading animation) on the 56k trickle and for the most part locked out of online games, VOD, streaming music, file sharing etc etc. All the thing that make the internet "phun". :D

Anyway, hooray for MS, I always knew they would come through for us!

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

yeah, the irish govenment has a nasty habbit of doing what ms want them to do... wana take bets on something big happening over the next 2 weeks ?

someone tell the government that more fibre won't do, its the last mile you idiots :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

The comments from Microsoft were made during the last First Tuesday discussion which can be listened to here. Uner the Digital Hub First Tuesday event in 32k or 64k format.

After Esat's CEO had made a call to industry to speak up on the broadband deficit (36mins 30secs into it), I directed a question to the Microsoft speaker about the X-Box live component development and rollout. His response is in the article. You can just about hear me 59mins and 24sec in to it asking John Guest to tell us about the problems faced by Microsoft as a result of the deficit. Even got a round of applause this time! :D

Its not just a case of not being able to deploy X-Box live here, but the third party software developers who Microsoft outsource development work too, cannot actually do the work (and obviously lose out) as they cannot get the required connectivity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sax0000

Originally posted by Dangger
    The comments from Microsoft were made during the last First Tuesday discussion which can be listened to here. Uner the Digital Hub First Tuesday event in 32k or 64k format.

After Esat's CEO had made a call to industry to speak up on the broadband deficit (36mins 30secs into it), I directed a question to the Microsoft speaker about the X-Box live component development and rollout. His response is in the article. You can just about hear me 59mins and 24sec in to it asking John Guest to tell us about the problems faced by Microsoft as a result of the deficit. Even got a round of applause this time! :D

Its not just a case of not being able to deploy X-Box live here, but the third party software developers who Microsoft outsource development work too, cannot actually do the work (and obviously lose out) as they cannot get the required connectivity!

I listened to the item for about 1min40 seconds. All I heard was what sounded linke background noise in a pub followed by someone reading out information on house rules.

What a waste of people's time to transmit this rubbish on the net at people who are looking for some serious content. My attention span is limited... next URL please

sax0000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by sax0000

What a waste of people's time to transmit this rubbish on the net at people who are looking for some serious content. My attention span is limited... next URL please

sax0000

sax, what you actually heard is the annoying príck filter.
    You see, they basically do this to make sure useless prats who have nothing constructive to add just give up after 10 seconds.
    ;)

The conference it seems was excellent and i wish i could have been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by chernobyl
    You see, they basically do this to make sure useless prats who have nothing constructive to add just give up after 10 seconds.
    ;)

Rofl pld :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Nobody

Bl"u"dy hell, the attention span is now down to 10 seconds. Man, I must be above average with 15 seconds. (ROTFL... great post Chernobyl.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by ando
    yeah, the irish govenment has a nasty habbit of doing what ms want them to do... wana take bets on something big happening over the next 2 weeks ?

hehehe ok
    i bet 2 grand that NOTHING will happen in the next 2 weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

SNH, SNH, SNH.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Dangger

I see you got a mention (albeit passing) in the business supplement to Thursday's Indo: the article focussed on Esat's comments, but mentioned IrelandOffline's contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Lovely, it was nice to hear someone (Bill?) getting a round of applause after pointing out the inadequacies in Ireland's internet connectivity and availability.

Shows we're not alone, doesn't it? :)

"No demand for broadband" mo thóin :P

Originally posted by sax0000
    I listened to the item for about 1min40 seconds. All I heard was what sounded linke background noise in a pub followed by someone reading out information on house rules.

That might be because it was just starting.
    *sings the troll song*
    You know you can "fast forward" with winamp? :)

zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

someone tell the government that more fibre won't do, its the last mile you idiots

I'm afraid you are missing the point. We Irish have special psychic powers which enable us to bypass the "last mile" and connect directly to the fibre ring using telekenesis. We are Celts, a spiritual people, close to the soil. What need have we of vulgar Saxon ADSL and cable modems?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by pork99
    I'm afraid you are missing the point. We Irish have special psychic powers which enable us to bypass the "last mile" and connect directly to the fibre ring using telekenesis. We are Celts, a spiritual people, close to the soil. What need have we of vulgar Saxon ADSL and cable modems?

LOL. if only that were true! :rolleyes: Would be my only hope of BB!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Biggest Monopoly in the world complaining about are little Monopoly. As if they wouldnt do the exact same thing in Eircon's position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by bricks
    Biggest Monopoly in the world complaining about are little Monopoly. As if they wouldnt do the exact same thing in Eircon's position.
    If you want to take a moral position on corporations, they are pretty much all the same. If they find themselves in a monopoly position then they will all take advantage of that position. It is up to government to make sure that companies don't dominate to the extent that the economy and quality of life suffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    It is up to government to make sure that companies don't dominate to the extent that the economy and quality of life suffers.

Well said, but how do we make the government do this?
    Why do they delegate and pass on the baton?
    Why do they insist they are powerless or bounce meaningless drivel claiming that we are simply misled off us?

What can we do to make them do what they should be doing?

zynaps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Well said, but how do we make the government do this?
    Why do they delegate and pass on the baton?
    Why do they insist they are powerless or bounce meaningless drivel claiming that we are simply misled off us?

zynaps

Well, unfortunately, our only chance to get the idiots that call themselves a government (hereafter known as "the idiots") to make any changes has passed with the last election.....

I believe that the idiots do not consider broadband as an "important thing", they have been convinced that it is all p0rn and "no good can come of it", IBEC may be able to bring awareness of it, but in my opinion IBEC has had sweet FA success in getting the idiots to do anything of late.... ... BUT, if the farmers said that they needed broadband, we would all have fiber bundles into every room in the house....

It is very rare if not impossible to get the idiots to make a change during the middle of their term (that has nothing to do with europe or farming), but if IOFFL make enough noise they may do something before the next election ... all they have to be convinced of is that there are tens of thousands of hard done by internet users who would gladly vote for the idiots if they could get cheap broadband into their houses

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by zynaps
    Hassle them. Remind your elected representatives that they are there because we, the people, put them there. Talk to your local independent and insist that s/he put the newfound priveleges of the "technical group" to productive use.

Being a thorn in someone's side can often be a constructive approach - the very success of IrelandOffline as a lobby group is the perfect illustration.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by BigEejit
    there are tens of thousands of hard done by internet users who would gladly vote for the idiots if they could get cheap broadband into their houses

I would rather have my armpit hair pulled out one by one then vote for those idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

It is very simple. it is inevitable that the likes of :-

Microsoft
    Tesco
    Ryanair

etc will be the one to force the government's hand on this. IOFFL will also have a major part to play here in terms of a lobby group to bring the issues to the front.

If it's left to the Telco's and the ODTR , nothing will get done - just endless pityfull bickering and finger pointing....which let's be honest about it get's us nowhere.

I'm glad to see this article - it's another classic example of how sad the "no interest in affoardable Broadband" statement really is...

If you think about it what IOFFL want is so so simple - FRIACO at about €20.00 per month and BB and €30.00 per month - nationwide. So simple , technically unchallenging ; it just requires a bit of forward thinking and a bit of investment.

Advertisement