Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK SDSL rollout prices

Options
  • 09-10-2002 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

I was reading this article on the register earlier and it seemed to have an interesting parallel with ADSL rollout here.

What else. Oh yes. Prices for Eclipse's SDSL trial, details of which were announced on Monday
    SDSL Connect 250
    256Kbps service with 10:1 contention
    £475 set up
    £99 per month

SDSL Connect 2000
    2 Mbs service with 10:1 contention
    £475 set up
    £340 per month

They are the cheapest and most expensive deals. There are a few in between.

What struck me is how high the prices are. Now i know that SDSL is symmetrical and the contention is much lower than all the ADSL offers in england but it does seem to give me at least some hope for irish adsl.
    Prices DO start high, but with time and more importantly competion they come down to more acceptable levels. The UK has had adsl for what, 2 or 3 years now? Only now are the prices becoming very reasonable (That seems to have a lot to do with the big push that was made by BT earlier this year tho).
    With esat finally starting to get the finger out WRT dsl (in Cork anyway) this gives me some hope at least that prices may come down in the future.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

Isn't Leap wireless symmetrical? The only difference i can see between leap and this is contention, but leap is available now :eek: ... well, in some areas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

And in the year 2017 or thereabouts:

"Eircom launch another new flavour of DSL"

SDSL!!

SDSL Connect 250
    256Kbps service with 100:1 contention
    €2500 set up
    €299 per month

SDSL Connect 2000
    2 Mbs service with 50:1 contention
    €4500 set up
    €499 per month

* Download/upload cap of 5 GB may apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

True Dustaz, they do - but in the UK they have competition.

We have a Duopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Originally posted by Mountjoy Mugger
    And in the year 2017 or thereabouts:

"Eircom launch another new flavour of DSL"

SDSL!!

SDSL Connect 250
    256Kbps service with 100:1 contention
    €2500 set up
    €299 per month

SDSL Connect 2000
    2 Mbs service with 50:1 contention
    €4500 set up
    €499 per month

* Download/upload cap of 5 GB may apply.

** About 0.02% of citizens will qualify for service. Why not try our new Pigeon-Internet(R) in the meantime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Eircom do actually offer this, they just call it "leased line" and add another zero, i.e. out of £340 per month becomes £3400 per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Hannibal_12

While I agree with your logic Dustaz I have unfortunately come to the conclusion that in Ireland it takes much longer for things to happen than in our closest neighbour (and in most other countries as well). This is especially true of technology. As other posters have also pointed out BT actually face some real competition unlike in the E-Tub where if you want broadband for €40 a month then you may as well take a long walk off a short pier, it would be a whole lot more productive.
    €40 a month is a decent price but is nearly a third of what €ircon currently charge for what is effectively an unavailable service. How long will it take them to slash their price to €40 a month and to push broadband to the masses??, I'm willing to bet a very long time and I'll be damed if I'm going to wait for it.

Advertisement