Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i-Stream Contract

Options
  • 09-10-2002 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭

I recently got my first bill for i-stream (4 figures:) ). As I pretty much knew already, they charge you for the next two months in advance. But surely this was all covered in the terms and conditions / contract. But I never received a contract from Eircom nor can I find it on their website. I was never told by them that I would have to pay in advance or that I was obliged to a 12 month contract. So does this mean that I am legally obliged to pay for 12 months even though I never signed a contract such as one you would sign for say sky digital etc...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

If they can't produce a slip of paper with your signature below the terms and conditions of the contract, you are not obliged to respect any minimum. They're free to choose whatever charging mechanism they feel works best. You're free to ask them to remove the service, pay them for whatever period you have used and no more. They'll still have made a generous profit on you.

I'm impressed you broke four digits though - I'm on Enhanced and I only managed three quarters of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I broke 4 digits also :)

But on a technical side if you installed the CD i preume that came with TOS that you agreed to when you clicked OK??

As with all software licences its legal and binding.

Now if like me you have an AMD cpu IE6 and Win XP the cd never worked and got no written contract with any mention of a cap we plain sailing.

Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

Originally posted by longword
    I'm impressed you broke four digits though - I'm on Enhanced and I only managed three quarters of that.

I am on enhanced too, but I had to pay for a second line too, which brought the bill up over the 1000 mark
    Originally posted by kdja
    But on a technical side if you installed the CD i preume that came with TOS that you agreed to when you clicked OK??

What CD? Bloke arrived one morning, spent 2 minutes running a cable up the stairs, 2 mins installing a box/splitter, 3-4 mins testing the line using his laptop and that was it - all for €165 installation (Could've done that meself!) Out the door he went, I rang the tech support crowd looking for me user id / password. Ya man asked me had I not received it in the post. Said no, gave me the details, havent heard nothing from them since I got me bill.

Did either of ye get a paper contract or a list of the Terms and Conditions from Eircom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by lynchie
    Did either of ye get a paper contract or a list of the Terms and Conditions from Eircom?
    To confirm or deny the signing of such a contract on a public forum probably isn't a good idea, but there were certainly no Eircom CDs let near my machines - all Linux and not even using their modem. Kinda scuppers any hope of a click-through.

Terms and Conditions are a different story. They were delivered in a booklet, and we are bound by them. If they're broken, Eircom can withdraw your service - but that's about the worst they can do short of civil action for damages. It's not a breach of contract to violate the terms and conditions (unless the contract says you must abide by the terms and conditions of course). The presence or absence of a contract also has no bearing on caps. Eircom will charge you their publicly advertised rates. If you claim innocense and refuse to pay, Eircom will be well within their rights to terminate your service and you'll still be liable for the costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭sax0000

Originally posted by longword
    To confirm or deny the signing of such a contract on a public forum probably isn't a good idea, but there were certainly no Eircom CDs let near my machines - all Linux and not even using their modem. Kinda scuppers any hope of a click-through.

Terms and Conditions are a different story. They were delivered in a booklet, and we are bound by them. If they're broken, Eircom can withdraw your service - but that's about the worst they can do short of civil action for damages. It's not a breach of contract to violate the terms and conditions (unless the contract says you must abide by the terms and conditions of course). The presence or absence of a contract also has no bearing on caps. Eircom will charge you their publicly advertised rates. If you claim innocense and refuse to pay, Eircom will be well within their rights to terminate your service and you'll still be liable for the costs.

And so they should go after you for the costs. Bastards like you and your flat rate nonsence will shut eircom down.

And then we'll be like Switzerland who let Swissair shut down.

The airline who took over from Swissair now serves AC wine from full sized bottles. Even in economy class. None of your Aer Lingus or Ryanair Vin du Pays.

Perhaps we'd get proper internet access from the eircom replacement too? At a reasonable price?

sax0000

• Advertisement
Advertisement