Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share DSL with your mates!

Options
  • 09-10-2002 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

I don't know why more people do it...sign up for Eircons rip off price DSL..talk to your neighbours and friends...through in some CAT5 s and or wireless network cards and share!! I know its not strictly abiding by the rules but hell we're in Ireland the land of crap dial up.

No2Nice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

share .. eh ? bah ?

Yes2nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by dathi1
    I know its not strictly abiding by the rules but hell we're in Ireland the land of crap dial up.

Well, you think you'd know better than ask supporters of IOFFL to openly break the T & C.

Sheesh! some people - a mod too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

I think this is the single biggest reason for the download CAP that Eircom included with the deal.

Very other ADSL providors (at least from the world I know) require this cap because at €30/month, who would take the trouble to lay lines, collect money, troubleshoot the Jones's connection etc.

But at €107, why not split it four ways? Because little Semus next door is downloading all the Slipnot pirates and has used 3 GB by the third of the month.....

I hate Semus.

=================
    Yes, I had to ask how
    Semus was spelled....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

DSL works on contention - making high contention worse is no fun. It would work for simple low end type browsing but that's about it.

Leased line in a large estate / Multi Tenant units might be a better idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by Canadian
    I think this is the single biggest reason for the download CAP that Eircom included with the deal.
    Well I went thrugh that 3GB cap in a day on the trial, just left it d/ling stuff, software updates, OS updates, mods for games, plug-ins etc. Which is what broadband is aimed at doing, getting stuff done faster, of course eircom doesn't want that seemingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

I think sharing is the only way to go. As I posted previously, I can't get DSL as my line doesn't qualify. If I could share with someone who has it or would get it and split the cost, I would do it in a heartbeat. I already own the wireless gear!
    If download limits are hit, up the service to the unlimited and share with more people to offset the cost.

Advertisement