Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrelandOffline to attend the 8th Implementation Report Hearing on the status of the t

Options
  • 08-10-2002 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Has there been any update on this please?
    I thought i had posted this already?

OHP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Two members of the IOFFL committee attended the hearing, myself (David Long) and Michael Megan. It was an important opportunity to state our case on the record before the EU Information Society and the EU Competition authority and highlight the inadequacies in the provision of Internet access to Irish citizens. The findings of the EU’s member State investigations will be made public in the last week of November in the 8th Implementation report on the status of telecommunications.

We stated the case for FRIACO and emphasised the high cost and poor availability of broadband offerings. We also commented on the ODTR’s inability to take any action in introducing a wholesale FRIACO offering and on the fact that they can only take action of the difference between wholesale and retail broadband offerings and not the actual retail cost.

IBEC and the telecommunications user group of Ireland (TUG) were also in attendance and made comments which were primarily aimed at representing the business user.

There was an unusual response from Eircom (on record) after I spoke of the need for a flat rate product during the hearing. In their response they agreed with the need for a FRIACO [type] and cited its importance as a stepping stone for broadband take up.. They also confirmed that the current DSL offering is not aimed solely as a business product (one would have to disagree, just take a look at the cost!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

ohhhhh ... I cant wait to see that report ... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Thank you Dangger / Sceptre. I must be getting Old. Sorry for the 2nd posting my eyesight aint what it used to be :)

OHP

Advertisement