Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK hits 1m broadband milestone

Options
  • 08-10-2002 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

The reg
    The UK has one million broadband connections, according to stats released by Oftel. Over the last six months the total number of broadband connections including xDSL and cable has risen from 500,000 to 1m, with new connections running at over 20,000 per week

Also

AOL UK slashes broadband charges

AOL UK has slashed the cost of it broadband service in a direct challenge to BT's no frills BT Broadband service. However, the timing of the price cut - just as BT is in the middle of spending £33m plugging broadband - shows how companies such as AOL UK are prepared to hijack BT's ad spend and punt their own services. It's also a signal that the race for mass-market broadband adoption is well under way with ISPs doing everything they can to attract large numbers of customers.

We know you read this eircom. Come on. I dare you. Comment.

ps. i cant believe adam hasnt posted this already :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

How the hell do their engineers cope with so many new connections a day, considering engineers at the Irish Incumbents can only manager 4 news connections each a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

Originally posted by MDR
    How the hell do their engineers cope with so many new connections a day

Do they have DIY installations? It would explain the high numbers.

*pepsiman points out the obvious to Ray* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

As Eircom pointed out to me the other day "only one in twenty lines pass the DSL test". If someone has an estimated number of enabled exchanges (and the amount of lines that thus have a chance of ADSL), we should be able to get the maximum possible of dsl customers the country *could* have right now. I bet its under the 20000 a week the UK has been doing :)

Memory is very shakey on this ...

There are about a 1000 exchanges, me thinks about 40 of them are DSL enabled. Those same 40 have up to 4000 lines each one so thats,

40 x 4000 = 160,000

Therefore 160,000 lines have access to DSL.

There are a total of 1.6 lines in the country, so thats 10 percent have access ... very roughly.

There are about 1200 DSL lines in total in the county, so that

160,000 / 1200 = .75%

so Ireland has a DSL penetration of .75%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Originally posted by pepsiman
    Do they have DIY installations? It would explain the high numbers.

yer the standard home dsl package is a external modem, few filters and some software- can be up and runing in 10 mins provided the work at the exchange has been done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

How the hell do their engineers cope with so many new connections a day, considering engineers at the Irish Incumbents can only manager 4 news connections each a day.

Where did this figure come from? .. its not the its unbelieveable, it sounds just like Eirmonopoly....unfortunately:(

Where did this figure come from? .. its not the its unbelieveable, it sounds just like Eirmonopoly....unfortunately

the darker recesses of my brain ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

Originally posted by MDR
    There are about a 1000 exchanges, me thinks about 40 of them are DSL enabled. Those same 40 have up to 4000 lines each one so thats,

40 x 4000 = 160,000

Therefore 160,000 lines have access to DSL.

There are a total of 1.6 lines in the country, so thats 10 percent have access ... very roughly.

There are about 1200 DSL lines in total in the county, so that

160,000 / 1200 = .75%

so Ireland has a DSL penetration of .75%.
    Using your figures:
    160000 phone lines who's exchange is currently DSL enabled.
    1 in 20 passes Eircom's DSL test.
    8000 lines that could possibly pass the test and therefore get DSL right now.

If that 1 in 20 figure is near accurate, that would put our supposed penetration at about 1200/8000 = 15% (so one or both of those figures is wrong :)). But perhaps it shows that after all this time testing DSL and 'rolling it out', Eircom still only have about 8000 *possible* customers in the whole country. Ye gods!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

In the UK many of the ISP's actually operate as kinda Virtual ISPs and buy ports from the likes of Telewest and ntl - most of the installs are done by the home users with a self install CD.

This means that most of the central fuctions are carried out by established ISPs and the amount of work in engineering time is reduced because of the self install options.

We are not in the UK though......

Good piece on ENN today where OFTEL are congratulating themselves on a job well done - Ms Doyle , care to comment?

• Advertisement
Advertisement