Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus Broadband

Options
  • 07-10-2002 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Fiend of mine got it. I'm from kilkenny by the way. He told me about it on a saturday. Rang them up monday and had it when i was talking to him next saturday. He had old lines in his house but they didn't charge any extra to upgrade them. i know its expensive but its there if you want it.

Chorus Broadband Info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

presuming this is cable?

Looks good if you compare it with whats available elsewhere around the country. 512/128 connection, €50 per month. 10GB download limit (initially not enforced). If it was available where I live i'd sign up.

NTL cable is a better deal, but since that's only available in 5 dubliners homes at the moment it doesn't matter.

It beats Eircom's entry level ADSL 'offer' by so much its not even funny. Be glad it isn't available where you live. (€107 per month for similar speeds but with 3GB download cap. :|)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Cable areas only ( not MMDS me thinks ) around Kilkenny, thurles Clonmel...

Special price connection fee of €75 up to the end of October - €190 after that ,€50 per month with DL limits.

Good offer....but limited again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

10 gig for €50 ain't all that bad ...

a 10GB limit on a €50 per month offering is perfectly acceptable. (when enforced) it will prevent the hogging of system resources (and you all need to share that bandwidth) by folks doing large scale filesharing, leaving things on all day and night.

I'd be happy with this offer :)

In any case, once actual broadband competition exists in Ireland, companies will actually be trying to win customers off each other with better and better offerings (I know, its hard to believe right now). I'd say one of the first things to go will be download caps - there will be unlimited-use, cheap offers. (my bet is that these ones would be full of filesharing bandwidth hogs, so I'd stick with the reasonably priced, reasonably capped service myself).

Can't wait till I can sign up for this type of offer. If your in this area, go for it. Come on NTL, dublin awaits. IrishBroadband, you too. Eircom, go to your room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Chorus were the single worst cable provider (TV) I ever came across, and they have been promising cable internet access for ages (at least 3 years in my case) in Cork and still no show, any time I rang up and asked it was always 3 months away, I was told that it will be available in my area soon at least 10 times ...

The only reason I signed up with them was on the promise of broadband, I might still have been with them today except that the picture quality (or sometimes lack of any picture / sound) drove me mental .. When I disconnected it took them 3 months to actually come around and collect their decoder ...

Of course I should have figured out that if the picture quality is crap the chances of broadband down that cable must be approaching zero....

Knowing my luck they will roll it out in my area now, but only as part of a package...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by LoBo

I'd say one of the first things to go will be download caps

I'm not so sure about that, especially with cable services. Unless contention is decreased I'd be happier with a 10GB download cap than without. Personally, I think I would have difficulty exceeding the 10GB cap anyway, being a fairly light internet user.

Originally posted by Serbian
    I'm not so sure about that, especially with cable services. Unless contention is decreased I'd be happier with a 10GB download cap than without. Personally, I think I would have difficulty exceeding the 10GB cap anyway, being a fairly light internet user.

What I meant was that once proper competition existed, there would probably be new products offered which boasted no download cap in the hopes of attracting customers. However, I'd say they would be rife with download goons and thus i'd stick to the (fairly) capped product. (10GB / month = perfectly fine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bluey

The 10gb per month limit doesn't apply in this case - i have it on v.good authority. they only mention 10gb downlimits so that they can hammer anybody who is abusing the service.

Advertisement