Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircoms answer to flat rate off peak

Options
  • 06-10-2002 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Im posting this after a tip off from a source that i trust fairly well. It seems that over the next while, Eircom are manufacturing the CDs with their new internet access packages.

Thier prices have come down, but i dont have confirmation of the actual prices just yet. Ill post em as soon as i get em.

Im posting this because its news, however in my personal opinion unless the price is now 1p for a months flatrate access i dont give a flying toss what they offer. The ship containing dialup users with a clue has well and truly sailed for them at this stage. It would be nice if they learned from this and reduced dsl pricing while they still have a willing consumer base.

[off topic]

Ive been away for the last few days and i dont think this has been posted, if it has, a thousand apologies :)

[/off topic]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

.....from inside Dell somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

curious, very curious

to be honest, i dont think eircom have the balls to bring in a 'flat-rate' jobbie

i hope im wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

The ship containing dialup users with a clue has well and truly sailed for them at this stage

I think you said it all right there, "dialup users with a clue" will not go near it ... but what about the tens of thousands who dont have a clue .. Eircons marketing dept. will go to town and Joe Bloggs will sign up in a shot.......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

From me on 5-9-02

I've just signed up (thank God for credit cards!).

What can I say that has'nt been....except maybe that now this product is here, when Errorcom respond (and they will) not one of us should move our acount even if and this is a big if, Eircoms service is slightly cheaper.

He who comes late to the market gets stuffed!

I think that'll hold true myself.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

to be honest, i dont think eircom have the balls to bring in a 'flat-rate' jobbie

It's not about balls, it's about necessity. Compare their position to my explanation of "domain slamming" in another thread: As more customers leave eircom, the OLO's competitive position improves, which forces wholesale prices come down. Eircom will make less and less with each lost customer, and eventually this will reach a level where Eircom shareholders are unable to recoup their investment.

And bear in mind that this isn't just about people switching ISP's, it's about people switching providers, which leaves even smaller margins for Eircom. UTV's move could very well be the first step in a sea change in the Irish comms marketplace. But there has to be a follow-up -- we've seen before what happens when there isn't.

Eircons marketing dept. will go to town and Joe Bloggs will sign up in a shot

Then it's up to us to make sure that every TD&H out there understands that Eircom has been lying and cheating all these years, that there's a better deal available, a better company to deal with. There has to be at least 2000 of us around at this stage, and we all have mammys and daddys and sisters and aunts and uncles and friends. Be like me and rant. They get pissed off after a while, but boy do they hate Eircom by the end of it...

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Sounds like my overhearing in a pub that EIRCON will have ADSL available in the midlands by December. Still if it does happen im sticking with UTVip. Eircon can go to hell and back before they make me pay for anything more than line rental. Anyone get a pic of the Eircon RAT deserting the Eircon sinking ship yet? ;)

OHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Dustaz,

This news is welcome, while not in the least unexpected. I did state in another thread that a "Flat- Rate" offering from Eircom was inevitable? Thanks in the main to the efforts of the voluntary IOFFL Committee and all the members.

As far as I am concerned - Eircom and their mouse/rat can burn in the fires of hell, and I will be there shovelling more coke on the fire . With glee?

Yours,

paddy20.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by dahamsta
    every TD&H out there

OMG, TLA's are getting way too OTT, IMO :)

No more news on this.....BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Dustaz
    OMG, TLA's are getting way too OTT, IMO :) No more news on this.....BTW.

totally off topic, but where can you learn what all these short worded letters mean? eg, rofl imo??? half the time i dont have a clue what ppl are saying :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by ando
    totally off topic, but where can you learn what all these short worded letters mean? eg, rofl imo??? half the time i dont have a clue what ppl are saying :p
    http://www.acronymfinder.com
    OMG, TLA's are getting way too OTT, IMO
    Wouldn't TD&H be an ETLA?

• Advertisement

Reply to, BigEejit:-

Good posting and interesting point:but ?

Do you not think that "UTVip". Have not already pre-planned a counterstrike against anthing the" Eircom.net halfwits" may now try in a vain effort to win back the thousands of customers, who have and are continuing to jump ship.

At least UTVip are a division of a PLC with worldwide interests and most importantly "Influence"? and I will be sticking with them.

Good luck to you.

Yours,

paddy20;)

Paddy, BigEejits point is a valid one and is why i had originially mentioned internet users 'with a clue'. The vast majority of internet users in this country dont know or care about flat rate access, altho that is changing thanks to increased awareness and of course Ireland Offline.

Nevertheless, these users are still out there in large numbers and will continue to use eircoms offerings. They would probably view any offer by eircom as a great bargain alltogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I hereby submit that The Register's "world+dog" be substituted for instances of "TD&H" as it's clearly friendlier, and features dogs.

AFAIK use of TLA's in the BBS's is running contrary to the policy of introducing the concept of FRIACO to the TDH's IMHO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's my acronym and I'll use it if I want to.

<adam stamps his little foot>

Dustaz,

I agree that there are large numbers of people who will continue to use eircoms offerings.

However, in the area where I live which is known locally as - the finn valley. The general opinion of Eircom from just about every quarter is I legally "Unprintable" in a public forum.

Even, the local engineers are driving around looking extremely depressed. Therefore, your opinion that people would probably view any offer from eircom as a great bargain all together, is way off the mark. You can discount Donegal for a start?

Lastly, when you state "and of course Ireland Offline" it would be nice if you added the members as well?

See ya.

paddy20

ok paddy, what i meant to say and what i would have thought was generally implicit was :

altho that is changing thanks to increased awareness and of course Ireland Offline, its commitee, its membership and all the people whos lives have been touched by its generaly being.

Of course thats harder to type, maybe i need a new acronym. IOFFLIC,IM,AATPWLHBTBIGB. Catchy no?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Dunno about everyone else but I usually use "IrelandOffline" to mean "IrelandOffline" (as in membership as a whole) rather than meaning "the committee of IrelandOffline"

Dustaz,

Catchy? Ummmmmmmm?

paddy20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

i have just one question...

didnt eircon tell us that only 1000 people in the country would be interested in broadband , flatrate etc...

jeeze...i guess the 999 other people and me out there are really filling up UTV offering...

and for the hard of reading this is S A R C A S M

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Look Eircoms complete strategy for FRIACO & Broadband can be summed up with one movie quote

"THERE IS NO SPOON" :D

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement