Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sbp/esat ad

Options
  • 06-10-2002 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

ok i dont work 4 them but todays business post has quite a bit in it .
    Full page ad from Esat saying how there pushing eircom to get UNLIMITED flatrate access. Adam wont like this me thinks :rolleyes: but you must give them some credit. they do have the cheapest dialup(non sub) access and they are trying to get flatrate out at a cheap rate (25-35euros)
    theres also a bit on satallite and on leap. in the @lastpost section the writer tells of a thai who lives 14 hours bus ride outside bangkok having adsl and why we're wondering why the brightest peps in the country are leaving!!
    also a crappy supplement on tech and internet and so on .............
    j;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

well, if FRIACO is introduced,I wont be jumping ship to esat. Im going to stay with UTV, and wait for them to introduce a flat-rate package. With UTV, I know im safe from the 'witch trials'..

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Ditto to what Tizlox says. I won't be going to Esat unless they come up with something (and maintain it) that makes staying with UTV fiscally irresponsible on my part! And I wouldn't make any change any time in the near future REGARDLESS. I don't trust Esat, regardless of what they come up with! It will be only a matter of time till they change the rules, pull the plug, or otherwise reverse their position, or send me more bills for services I don't have!

The ad in the paper is about what Esat WANTS to do and what "potential" capability they will have. I like what that sort of thing has come to be called here: "vapourware."

UTV didn't say they "hoped" to, "plan" to, etc. They Just Did It! ... and they are here willing to take time on a one-to-one basis addressing particulars.

I, for one, will choose to support and reward their unique efforts. Customer service and willingness to put THEMselves on the line go a long way with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by Banished-She
    ...UTV didn't say they "hoped" to, "plan" to, etc. They Just Did It! ... and they are here willing to take time on a one-to-one basis addressing particulars.

If memory serves me correct, ESAT did exactly the same thing when they introduced SNL! They left Eircom (or was it Telecom back then?) sitting there and went for a semi-flatrate option.

We look at UTVip , at the moment, as being the knight in shining aromour, come to rescue the day. I'm not trying to be negative towards UTVip (I've signed up with them), but we looked at ESAT the same way a few years back too.

We all jumped on board at the time (some 20,000 of us), me included. It was wonderful, bills came down, we could surf the net without watching the clock.

Then the chickens came home to roost and 2000 of us got dumped, me included.

Ok, in terms of PR, the way it was done was a textbook example of how NOT to do it. But leaving all that aside, I really don't blame ESAT - their hands were tied (and still are) because of Telecom/Eircom. They offered SNL based on the assumption that LLU would happen during the lifetime of SNL. It didn't, and pretty much still hasn't to any noticeable degree.

Up to the time when UTV announced their new package, I was about to sign up with ESAT again. And I bet any money, that if ESAT did manage to get a totally flatrate package going, many more people would go back to them.

At the end of the day, it's down to money. I'll go with whatever company can give me the best "hours on-line to cost" ratio. At the moment it happens to be UTV, but if anyone else came back with something better in the morning, I'd have to seriously consider it.

Mike

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Adam wont like this me thinks

Adam is entirely impassive. First impressions are always important, but I don't make judgements based solely on one event or occurence. When I'm being strict, three strikes is all you get, but I wear down, I've always been willing to return to something after a suitable amount of time. But there has to be give and take, and on the whole, Esat have taken more than they've given; it will take equal or better in the opposite direction to convince me that they've corrected their inadequecies. I'll be here waiting patiently if they have any questions. In the meantime, I'll be dialling in to UTV.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I think Delphi91 said it very well i would just like to ad that i think esat made the same mistake i made when i got ISDN over 3 years ago (i have it no longer) at the time the world was moving on and i thought that a flaterate service would be available within a short period of time i was hopelessly wrong my guess is that esat probably thought that perhaps the wholesale price would drop to and they to were wrong.Still the way they handled it was very bad that said if they came up with a much better service than UTV id certainly give them the benefit of the dout.In my book UTV still remain the yard stick by which all others will be measured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by Stonemason
    ...my guess is that esat probably thought that perhaps the wholesale price would drop
    But they did SFA about it. They deliberately misled us (IOFFL) last year saying that they were in negotiations with Eircom and hoping that things would come to a head so the ODTR would intervene. It now turns out that they only applied for FRIACO aq few months ago and it seems obvious that they only did so then when other telcos started pursuing it.

Today's ad is a belated (and IMHO very weak) reaction to the way that UTVInternet have captured the hearts and minds of educated Internet users in this country.

Martin Harran

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by DonegalMan
    But they did SFA about it.
    Correction, they didn't do SFA, they kicked off 2000 heaviest users and held on to 18,000 that they were making money on.

Fortunately for Internet users in Ireland, it's turned out that they picked on the wrong people :)

I have come to the conclusion that, albeit for slightly different reasons, Esat are as big a bunch of w***kers as Eircom.

(Waiting for "Hear, hear" from Adam :))

Martin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I would have though that was implicitly suggested Martin. :)

Another reason why I wouldn't be very good in politics, I find the whole "hear hear" and "boo hiss" stuff very childish altogether, particularly when they spend so little bloody time in the Dáil as it is. I'm much more in favour of sitting at the back with a devilish grin on my face. It seems to worry people, which is wonderful.

adam

Advertisement