Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste Charges (living in an apartment block)

Options
  • 01-10-2002 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

I live in a apartment block consisting of 70 odd apartments that use large "commercial" wheelie bins for waste disposal. There are no green bins provided.

I am a believer in that everybody should pay waste disposal charges to insure proper disposal and recycling.

However, with the new charges in place , DCC stand to collect over €5,000 pa from our block and all the rubbish goes straight to land fill and no recycling takes place.

I have refused to poay the charges because:
    a) no green bins are provided and therefore no recycling. I have to sort out my own materials and go a bring centre myself.
    b) as we operate a communal bin system for 70+ "households" we should be paying a charge lower than a standard household. Lets face it it is easier to collect from us than 70 individual households.

I think the charge I received was for €86 (need to doublecheck). I have written to DCC some months ago but received no reply.

ANy thoughts or comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Have a chat with someone on the Management company for your block of apartments.

I live in a similar size apartment block and also pay part of my annual maintenance charge for my bin collection service. The waste is collected by a private company. I notified DCC of this upon receipt of my first bill, and they promptly removed me from their billing system.

I suggest you do the same. Give them a call at 01-4114300.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,287 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I made a complaint to their press office and they put people in contact with me, but have no green bin yet, but i have 2 piles of newspapers 3 feet high (have been saving all year since they said "we are going to give you a green bin"). Part of the problem is it is Oxigen does the recycling collection and are not set up for the big commercial Euro bins. There are theoretical problems with lots of people using the same green bin also. I will try to find the addresses of people to harass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

The best solution I can think of is to get in contact with some of the other residents within the appartment block, and see if they are on a similar wavelength to urself. If so, it will make talking to the DCC a lot easier. Becasue if you are in the severe minority, there is little hope of doing anything.

Power is with the people, and the more people the easier it is to persuade people to actually to do something.

I applaud your effects. keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,287 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I got this in July:
    Hi, Where do you live? We are currently doing a pilot in Custom Hall Gardiner St. and will be meeting Oxigen next week to decide schedule for extension of the scheme to other blocks. Regards, Margaret Foynes margaret.foynes@dublincity.ie
    And this in August
    Hi, David O'Quigley, Project Manager at Oxigen is working on a shedule for ollection from apartments this week. He may be able to clarify an anticipated collection darte for you. You may contact David on 4624459 or 086 8048503. Regards, Margaret

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Did anything happen with these trials? The Oxigen website still says they don't give green bins to apartment blocks.

I live in a new apt. complex and we just had our first residents meeting. It was proposed to try and get an extra one of those big communal bins, since our current ones overflow every week. I reckon we wouldn't need it if all that could be recycled was separated out.

A green bin would be great. Fallback is to persuade people to go to a bring centre - I don't know how easy that will be.

Are there any green options with private waste collection firms? Currently, our bins are collected by DCC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement