Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doyle to decide on price cap

Options
  • 30-09-2002 11:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

ENN
    According to the Irish Times, telecoms regulator Etain Doyle is expected to issue a decision within 10 days on whether to remove a price cap on Eircom's retail telecoms services. Eircom has been lobbying for the removal of the retail cap, which it claims is preventing it from further investment in its network infrastructure. The decision will determine whether consumers will face a major price hike for a range of telecoms services from next January.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

*rays hold his breath*

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

This would be the icing on the cake. While everyone is lobbying for cheaper internet access/broadband etc and Etain Doyle is going on about doing her best to help the situation she might actually, intentionally make it worse. Don't you just love this well run country of ours. Well, I'm off to get my application ready for the Green Card Lottery.....Again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

See what happened in Sweden when Orange tried to drag out of their Mobile 3G rollout, the regulator took no crap from them and threatened them with huge fines.

Now Orange has to do as it said it would do. This comment from the Swedish Regulator is most instructive
    the fines "were supposed to be huge enough to make them fulfil the obligations"

Said that regulator, obviously one with Cojones.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Canadian

It'll be very telling to see exactly how she rules on this one.... I've mentioned the C word before (Corruption) and got a rouse of flames in return. (Ray Burke is innocent!)

Ireland suffers from the most expensive telecoms services in the EU already - any removal of caps so the encumbant can increase prices further would indicate (to me) that the house is not in order.

=========================
    Keep the germans out.
    Vote No to Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by Canadian
    Ireland suffers from the most expensive telecoms services in the EU already - any removal of caps so the encumbant can increase prices further would indicate (to me) that the house is not in order.

If the prices rise further, I'll be most likely forced offline, because I can't afford it :( (I can just-about afford my phone bill as it is. I'm switching to UTV once I get my phone line into the new house.)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Said that regulator, obviously one with Cojones.

Balls Etain. Balls.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Nobody

This is a joke, right? :mad:

but unfortunatly this story is not. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Surely a regulator should be the bane of monopolistic telcos ?Whens the last time Eircom bitched about the ODTR ? How many court cases are ongoing ? Realistically they should be fighting tooth and nail.

In the rest of the world maybe but not here. There's probably more chance of getting ADSL access in the Caves of Afghanastan then there is in Dublin at a reasonable price. As long as the likes of Bertie Ahern are in charge this countries infrastructure will only get worse instead of better.

• Advertisement

Whens the last time Eircom bitched about the ODTR ?
    well they are complaining about retail price caps imposed by the regulator ...

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

If they remove that cap there needs to be MASSIVE demonstrations.....

It is beyond me how she can openly admit to even be considering such a stupid, and crippling move. Imagine what those moneybanks would do if they had free reign with pricing? I bet they'd even increase their DSL prices....

And her interview on the radio yesterday, almost like she was working FOR Eircom....

Something doesn't seem right with this.

- Telco's enter with (interim) plausable "flat-rate" offerings.
    - No "Flat-Rate" counter-strike from Eircon.
    - Eircon whinge about not getting a fair cut from other Telco's.
    - Eircon remove "1891" from discount schemes.
    - Etain's PK interview is Eircon sympathetic, as opposed to impartial.
    - Etain get's set to review Eircon's caps.

- Punters, & independent(?) Telco's get the "sh@ft" (possibly). :mad: :mad:

Etain is up for chairing the new commission? .... [Edited: !!!!]

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Nice bullet format there, illustrates they way things a moving nicely backward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

The decision will determine whether consumers will face a major price hike for a range of telecoms services from next January.

Just as a matter of interest. Can Eircon be made remove any existing 'Wires / Poles / Equipment etc. from your house, buisness prem etc.? If they do get their way. I for one will be getting rid of anything I have to do with them even if I have to just use Mobile Phones. It might cost a little extra but it would be worth it just to be rid of them.

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I agree, if she removes the cap we must campaign for her resignation.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

This is gotta be some sick joke, I cant believe we have such a muppet as our telecoms regulator. Just heard her on pat kenny show and she couldnt even finish a sentence without stuttering.

ODTR’s Etain to Pat Kenny: “Okay, there is a number of points I’d like to make here… erm… Ireland… erm… does have… erm… obviously it does have access to the Internet”

I agree, if she removes the cap we must campaign for her resignation
    Hmmm I think campaigning should start now, telecoms regulator needs someone younger and not as corupt as she is. Well shes either corupt or stupid.

Rags, that last comment of your's is a bit harsh... considering we all know the ODTR is toothless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It is beyond me how she can openly admit to even be considering such a stupid, and crippling move.

She can because she has to, it's her job.

I'll be very surprised if she removes the price cap. Etain may not be my ideal regulator, but she's not stupid.

adam

Can't see her removing the cap, Eircom are about as popular at the ODTR as a 'fart in a spacesuit' ...

• Advertisement

I disagree - I can imagine reasons for removing the cap such as:

- To allow additional infrastructure investment
    - To compete effectively with competitive long distance companies (on long distance rates)
    - To pass the true cost of providing service to different consumer types
    - To meet obligations of the new labour contract
    - To make changes to improve telecom service in Ireland to that of EU standards.
    - To make necessary upgrades to switching equipment to allow for future services.
    - To restructure the company to make it more competitive in a european environment.

When you're a puppet of a corrupt government, you could even claim land currently owned by white farmers.

============================
    Rid Ireland of White English Farmers.
    Vote No to Nice.

- To allow additional infrastructure investment
    - To compete effectively with competitive long distance companies (on long distance rates)
    - To pass the true cost of providing service to different consumer types
    - To meet obligations of the new labour contract
    - To make changes to improve telecom service in Ireland to that of EU standards.
    - To make necessary upgrades to switching equipment to allow for future services.
    - To restructure the company to make it more competitive in a european environment.

All very true, but as they make €174million a year at the moment, I don't think the ODTR will be in a hurry to let the make even more money. If Eircom started providing firm guarentee's about an investment program it might instigate should it be able to generate extra cash from a few price hikes etc, and proved to be trustworthy etc again, especially after the wholesale bitstream affair, the ODTR might consider it, but in light of current feelings at the ODTR toward Eircom, I very much doubt it.
    When you're a puppet of a corrupt government, you could even claim land currently owned by white farmers.
    I would argue completely differentily, that the ODTR is too independent of government, me thinks thats why the commision is replacing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

....all perfectly rational until we get to

Regrettably the muppets who work for Eircom persuaded the government to give them 15% of the company before flotation. The government did not require restructuring as part of the bargain...to our eternal regret.....now the muppets have a seat on the board. That workers seat was held by a self important kerryman named Dick Spring for a while.

If you are new to Irish politics then no, a Dick Spring is not a treatment for erectile dysfunction.

M

The government did not require restructuring as part of the bargain...to our eternal regret.....now the muppets have a seat on the board.

Tried calling them a few weeks ago .. didn't get very far, must try again ...
    That workers seat was held by a self important kerryman named Dick Spring for a while.

He got the boot at the last election me thinks, may be worth giving him a call and sounding him out ...

Just have to say that you guys are really well informed - I think I learn more about Ireland on these boards than any other place. (no joke) Also, the wit is excellent-

Too bad we have to talk about something so frustrating... My Irish education is certainly twisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Rags, that last comment of your's is a bit harsh... considering we all know the ODTR is toothless

Well considering this is the same ODTR that has released midleading reports and classified ISDN as broadband in one report and now is considering lifting the pricecap! Well ...wait your right my statement saying shes corupt or stupid is wrong. Shes corupt AND stupid.
    :D

Advertisement