Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad in US?

Options
  • 26-09-2002 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Any one know if it is possible to get financial aid, scolarship, what ever to do a postgrad course in the states. I allready have degree and taking a year out to see what I want to do. I am over here in chicago on J1 and was thinking of going to college out here.

Anyone ever do this or have any advice ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jameson

Yeah I dont know what it is like where your form country wise, personally i am from ireland cork to be exact so if your from england the rules may be slightly different.

But I used a few loopholes in the system, you see you have a J1 visa which you say your on now after that you have the J2 visa now after that you can no longer go back there under student work placement programs, howeevr what you can do is get a company too sponsor you.

Bascially to make a long story short what i did was simple, i created my own company whilst still under my visa which was totally legit, then before my visa ran out i sponsored myself under the company name and hence got a sponsorship visa for myself starting after my J2 expired. So I went from owning the compnay as a student visa to a sponsorship visa ... weird and complicated i know but if you have any queries or further question just drop a line and ill reply back.

As i said could be different for different nationalities etc, also dont forget your only on J1 visa so you still can avaiol of another J2 visa unless ur finiashed your present college education be it masters post grad etc

Hope i was of some help
    Regards James

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 smeghead

Well actually, I'm from galway. I am on my J2 as well. I'm thinking of starting up my own company here anyway. So that sounds like a good idea. Was worried that if you had the same name as the person or company that is sponsering you they might stop you. How long did it take you to process all that paperwork and so forth, because I have only a month left on this visa. Naturally I could stay on longer but they are meant to be clambing down on overstaying. So would be worried it would ruin my chances of getting back into the country again.

Did you end up going to college here then by the way?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

maybe this will help, or direct you anyway..
    Education in the U.S.
    - Fulbright Commission in Ireland
    - Fulbright Scholarship
    - U.S. Department of State: American Studies

found it here:
    http://www.usembassy.ie/faq/index.html

Advertisement