Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ODTR Conference Speech

Options
  • 23-09-2002 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

New Market Perspectives: speech by Etain Doyle, ODTR Conference, 19th September 2002

http://www.odtr.ie/docs/odtr0281.doc

Heres some bits
    Turning to the implications of internet and information technologies for the communications sector, I should first note that Internet services involve a range of services beyond the communications sector and are not (and rightly so) regulated by the ODTR. However, access to internet is via communications networks and telecoms regulators do what they can to facilitate the necessary competitive services.

We have also witnessed in the past 5 years the growing importance of internet to both residential and business users. We have - depending on the survey – around 4 in 10 residential internet users and we have almost 9 in 10 users of the internet in the SME sector.

For big business, leased capacity is key and smaller business need a range of capacities from dial-up and ISDN upwards. Business internet connection is high at over 80% of all businesses, but it is mainly still at e-mail stage. E-mail is an enormous benefit for industry, but much more needs to be done by Irish business to reap the benefits of fully integrated information technological solutions.

At the residential level, internet penetration is not rising as quickly as in some other countries and it is important not only for the ODTR, but for industry and other public agencies to consider why and what more might be done, while not losing sight of current initiatives including forcing the pace on flat rate internet and products like DSL.

You will be aware that we have already introduced internet access codes to enable operators offer differently structured pricing packages, and more recently have been working hard on flat rate internet access which I would hope to see develop in the coming months. I am pleased to note the new services offered by UTV and Esat BT which I believe will be useful in stimulating increased use of the internet at the consumer end of the market.

On broadband, the ODTR is constantly reviewing and developing licensing frameworks, pressing for progress on pricing and access options and now wishes to help inform the debate with some practical modelling. The Ovum data to be presented later today represents what we hope will be an interesting benchmark, a case study on the network cost of rolling out a broadband network.

I believe it will provide a reasonable focus and reference point for public debate and help shape practical considerations for the future. It may also be the case that some may want to put forward alternatives – for example the mobile and/or wireless operators – which could be reviewed against this benchmark.

I must be living in a different reality.....

/me shakes head

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

On broadband, the ODTR is constantly reviewing and developing licensing frameworks, pressing for progress on pricing and access options and now wishes to help inform the debate with some practical modelling. The Ovum data to be presented later today represents what we hope will be an interesting benchmark, a case study on the network cost of rolling out a broadband network.
    For anyone who might have doubts about the success of the ODTR's policies on broadband, one need only look at the range of affordable broadband services available to consumers around the country and Ireland's ranking in many international surveys.

But credit must not stop with the ODTR. We must also thank the Government and the incumbent operator, Eircom for the unique position we find ourselves in.

Advertisement