Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go Scotland

Options
  • 22-09-2002 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Remember the idea of using power cables as a medium to transmit high-speed
    Internet traffic? The concept was all the rage in the late 1990s but then
    high-profile suppliers, such as Nortel/Norweb, Siemens and more recently
    RWE, pulled out the market citing regulatory issues and slow sales. As a
    result, ADSL cemented its position as the primary means to deliver broadband
    to consumers.

However the technology hasn't gone away; far from it. Scotland last weekend
    reaffirmed their commitment to develop Power Line Communications (PLC) as a
    competitive broadband access and in-home LAN technology. It's hoped that the
    technology offers an economicall viable way of deploying broadband services
    in rural Scotland.

According to Antony Lole, a Telecom Infrastructure Manager at SSE, the trial
    is still in its early stages, with just a dozen or so customers connected in
    the Crieff and Campbeltown areas of Perthshire. However results so far are
    encouraging, and guinea pigs are seeing good throughputs, in some cases
    getting a symmetric connection delivering speeds in of 1Mbps

News source http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/27221.html

Macker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

http://www.esb.ie/main/news_events/press_release26.jsp

There's a press release from ESB made back in Feb '01.

http://www.esb.ie/main/news_events/press_release106.jsp

A tad more recent, from Jan '02.

It seems their main objective is to sell their services to OLO's. But they may be considering entering the market directly themselves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Those ESB press releases are about regional fibre optic cable - nothing to get excited about. As far as I know, this project is near completion. It is not about delivery to the homes.

The stuff in Scotland is about delivering broadband to the home using powerlines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The ESB were researching PLC a while back though, I wonder if they'll start looking into it again. It still sounds to me like a way of fasttracking broadband rollout in Ireland.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by SkepticOne
    Those ESB press releases are about regional fibre optic cable - nothing to get excited about. As far as I know, this project is near completion. It is not about delivery to the homes.

What is it for? I presume that it's nothing to do with the electricity network itself..

What is it for?

Uh, communications? Hello? :)

I presume that it's nothing to do with the electricity network itself..

Nope. The electricity market has been deregulated, so the ESB has decided to spread it's wings a little; it reckons it could be a player in the comms market. And it has plenty of advantages that can be leveraged to help it along, like a pre-existing network of ducting, and plenty of experience with digging up roads and laying stuff (so to speak); so it has a jump (so to speak) on other players. And of course they can route a fair whack of their internal comms through the network. Their timing wasn't the best, but the ESB is probably in a much better position than the traditional wholesale comms companies.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by dun_do_bheal

What is it for? I presume that it's nothing to do with the electricity network itself..
    It involves running fibre optic cables along existing national power lines. Capacity on these fibre lines may be then resold to telcos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

DON'T tell the ODTR or the Dept. of Comm about this- it will just be used as another excuse to **** around, issue press releases and do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

and had to be shut down after major complaints about its effect on the British Spying Industry amongst others

Modified technology is deployed in Scotland and elsewhere and is promising.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by dahamsta
    What is it for?

Uh, communications? Hello? :)

I presume that it's nothing to do with the electricity network itself..

Duh! I shoulda made myself clearer :D I know what it is and what it does, but what is it intended for?? Is it for companies or what? I just saw that it is supposed to be laid here in Donegal and I'm kinda surprised cause nothing ever comes up this far..
    I can't imagine that there would be a great commercial demand either, but who knows. Mind you, I'm not complaining if there is a chance of possible domestic use.

As far as I can remember, and I think the press releases linked above will confirm this, the ESB intend only selling wholesale access to the network, i.e. you would need to be a telecommunications operator or enterprise business to get access. Kinda like Nevadatele and UTV.

adam

• Advertisement
Advertisement