Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Broadband

Options
  • 20-09-2002 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

There was a posting here recently about a Satellite Broadband service, not Leap - it was an expensive enough service - anyone remember anything about it?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Defenistrator

educom/orbitlink by any chance?

visit them at www.orbitlink.ie

D.

just a s matter of fact, they have there services as single user and multi user. but you could buy the cheapest single user service and share it any way. it does work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

VSAT

One and 2 way systems, one way is sat in phone out

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Got it Digiweb

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by Defenistrator

just as matter of fact, they have there services as single user and multi user. but you could buy the cheapest single user service and share it any way. it does work!

You're welcome....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Tazmo

I looked at Digiweb and they do appear to be expensive.
    Since then have now considered Netsystem who appear to be much more reasonable.
    Has anyone got this service and using it successfully??
    Being out in rural Wicklow it seems broadband from space is my only option, but it is how to do it for reasonable money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

The problem with Netsystem is that it's still one-way only, and as such you'll still be paying between 1 and 5 cents a minute to Eircon -- and that can add up quickly!

Originally posted by Urban Weigl
    The problem with Netsystem is that it's still one-way only, and as such you'll still be paying between 1 and 5 cents a minute to Eircon -- and that can add up quickly!
    I was thinking of combining it with my UTVip hence €30 to UTV and €36 to Netsystem gives me offpeak higher speed connection for €66 pm. That was the theory anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭mfield

Originally posted by Tazmo

I was thinking of combining it with my UTVip hence €30 to UTV and €36 to Netsystem gives me offpeak higher speed connection for €66 pm. That was the theory anyway.

I was thinkin of doin the same myself, I wonder if it's worth it though?

mfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Hmmmmm.netsystem,you say.I've been using it for the last two months,and they seem to be getting into a bit of bother lately speed wise.It's faster than 56k alright,but over the last couple of weeks downloads have been getting slower for me.
    I've signed up for UTV but still didn't get the email(more than 11 working days now),and I'll see how things work out with those services combined.
    See http://www.netsystemusers.com/ for the best info on Netsystem.It has a forum too,that'll keep you updated,and maybe help make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by De Rebel
    There was a posting here recently about a Satellite Broadband service, not Leap

Leap is wireless, not satellite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Hmmmmm.netsystem,you say.I've been using it for the last two months,and they seem to be getting into a bit of bother lately speed wise.It's faster than 56k alright,but over the last couple of weeks downloads have been getting slower for me.

Well... i get upto 1Mb no problems there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Ya but the 1mbit isnt til after like 1am or somein. Before then its a lot slower and last week its been terrible. When I say terrible I mean around 120k.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Jabba or BoneCollector

I'm seriously considering satellite as I see no hope of ASDL for a long time where I live in Donegal

NetSystem looks attractive combined with SNL which I'm currently on, though I am thinking about moving to UTVInternet if they imnplement the 2 ISDN channels package.

Had a quick look at the NetSystem site but there are a couple of things I can't fully understand; as their enquiry line is closed for the weekend maybe you guys can enlighten me:

1) Can you use the same dish for TV and Internet or do you need a separate dish?

2) If you work off one dish, does the broadband interfere in any way with the TV (I'm thinking about the fact that you can only watch one TV channel on Sky - does this mean if you have the broadband on, you can't watch Sky TV?)

3) You have to be pointed at Astra1G - I currently have Sky, how do I know if this is the satellite I am currently pointed at?

TIA

Martin Harran

Martin
    You will find all the answers to those questions on the forums at Netsystem Users
    I have spent most of today on there reading thro the various posts and trying to suss out what I need.
    I think it will be the way to go for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DonegalMan
    1) Can you use the same dish for TV and Internet or do you need a separate dish?

You could watch TV and surf at the same time with the dish if you had a dual input LNB attached.

But:

All the Net satellite offerings (at least all the ones I've seen) are from satellites at 19.2E. The Sky Astras are at 28.2E. So you'd need either two dishes or have a motorised dish. If you had only one dish (with the requisite equipment) when using the Internet you'd be limited to TV transmissions coming in from 19.2E (which won't include any of the channels you get on Sky)

So two dishes needed unless you want your family to shoot you.

3) You have to be pointed at Astra1G - I currently have Sky, how do I know if this is the satellite I am currently pointed at?

Astra 1G is at 19.2E. You're definitely not pointing anywhere near this with your Sky dish.

Thx Sceptre, even though you gave me the answers I was hoping NOT to get :)

Have to dig into this a bit more, AFAIR a sky mini-dish installation is only around 100-150 Euro so rough estimate of overall cost:

Installation cost using PCI modem:

Sky Mini-Dish 150
    Install ISDN, not sure think about 130
    ISDN modem estimate 120

Total installation cost about 400 Euro

Running Cost Per Month:

NetSystem Pro 42
    UTVInternet(2 isdn channels) 60
    ISDN Rental Charge less current line 18

= 120 Euro per month for unlimited off peak + call costs during peak (with 25% reduction from UTVInternet).

Not cheap but worth thinking about

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I'd pay the 120 (ex vat) to digiweb instead of 120 (inc vat) for 150hrs per month of off peak access. BTW, I was never happy with the performance of netsystem when i used it before i got 2 way sat.

Brendan.
    Originally posted by DonegalMan
    Thx Sceptre, even though you gave me the answers I was hoping NOT to get :)

Have to dig into this a bit more, AFAIR a sky mini-dish installation is only around 100-150 Euro so rough estimate of overall cost:

Installation cost using PCI modem:

Sky Mini-Dish 150
    Install ISDN, not sure think about 130
    ISDN modem estimate 120

Total installation cost about 400 Euro

Running Cost Per Month:

NetSystem Pro 42
    UTVInternet(2 isdn channels) 60
    ISDN Rental Charge less current line 18

= 120 Euro per month for unlimited off peak + call costs during peak (with 25% reduction from UTVInternet).

Not cheap but worth thinking about

Martin

Originally posted by bkehoe
    I'd pay the 120 (ex vat) to digiweb instead of 120 (inc vat) for 150hrs per month of off peak access. BTW, I was never happy with the performance of netsystem when i used it before i got 2 way sat.
    The €1500 equipment charge is bit steep for a home system where 90%+ of my access is off peak, that's why netsystem seems attractive.

I am, however considering digiweb for my business, as I desperately need a fixed IP address for a multi-site stock control system.

Are you using them and, if so, how do you rate them?

Martin

P.S. Going back to the home system, I see all sorts of warnings that satellite is useless for gaming. Is it better or worse than 56k modem, usually connected at 48Kps?

I play a bit of RTS, mainly Age of Kings on msn.zone and find that I can only join less than half of available games, when I do join my ping is usually about 300-600. What could I expect with a) two way satellite b) one way satellite plus 128K ISSDN ?

Hi,
    I'm not using Digiweb; I'm using Aramiska. If you think digiweb is expensive, you dont want to see aramiskas pricing! ;) Digiweb is the cheapest 2 way satellite available in Ireland. The Digiweb system is the same as BT use for their 2 way satellite across the UK and aparrantly works quite well.
    Satellite, both 1 and 2 way is worse than modem for gaming. Lowest pings i get on aramiska are around 600ms to EU servers....something the same when i was on netsystem. The advantage with 1 way is that you can disconnect the satellite connection when you're going to play games and get the low pings offered by modem/isdn. I've also found that one way satellite systems seem to need a few threads going to get near the advertised speed, as single thread performance, e.g. a normal download in internet explorer are poorish. I dont have problems like this on Aramiska at all. Also, web browsing is a lot faster than netsystem on Aramiska (cannot be sure about digiweb though as they use a different system), and protocols like SSH/Telnet are more responsive.

Brendan.

Hi,
    I'm not using Digiweb; I'm using Aramiska. If you think digiweb is expensive, you dont want to see aramiskas pricing! ;)

Checked their website and see what you mean :)

Why did you go with them, I assume there is something to justify the higher price?

Martin

• Advertisement

Forgot to ask....

Main use in business will be replicating SQL Server database holding stock data on multiple retail sites (10 at present, plan to double this over next 12 months).

Some of the stores in Northern Ireland have ASDL, might want them to be permanently connected to main database in Lettrekenny; most stores will dial up to Internet and transfer files to Letterkenny 2/3 times per day.

Files will be small, mostly <1mb, max 2mb.

Also email/some general surfing.

In this situation what sort of connection speed should I aim for - 256, 512 or higher ?

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

AFAIR a sky mini-dish installation is only around 100-150 Euro so rough estimate of overall cost:

That installation could be done yourself. Get a 2nd-hand sky mini-dish, drill your holes on wall, mount it, calculate elevation angle from here , angle it using a compass. Get your free sat modem from netsystem.com.
    It is that easy to do it yourself.

Personally i have just completed the above today using an old sky analogue dish with universal lnb, now i'm waiting for netsystem to sort out a few problems they had in last week regarding maintenance before i sign up.

On sat 19.2 E, the tv channels you get are just sky news, cnn and about 30 foreign language ones. As was said earlier, sky digital points at 28.2E, so 2 dishes are needed.

Netsystem is supposed to only beneficial for downloading, multi-threading is recommended. Web browsing the same as 56k, web sites with all the flash stuff load faster

netsystemusers.com has detailed stuff on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

gurramok is right.Multithreading is the way to go if you want to download anything with Netsystem.
    Also,like BoneCollector says,1 mb is no problem.Surfing at that speed is WAY ahead that 56k.Only problem is you have to be on the graveyard shift to use it,as it comes into effect between 1am and 8am.Still,it's worth the 7 euros to speed up the downloading at night.But like I said,lately,I'm not imperssed with the speeds.Maybe BoneCollector has something different to me.I was getting better results before,even at nightime.

DonegalMan,you don't need ISDN to operate Netsystem.The standard 56k dialup will do fine.But if you have it already,that's no problem too.From what I know,I don't think using ISDN is no advantage to you with a sat connection

Hi,
    The advantages with Aramiska are very low contention ratios, higher upload speeds (as well as download), and the arc box. The arc is basically a pc made by hp that runs linux and is set up to be a mail server, web caching, keep logs and make traffic usage graphs, set up incoming PPTP or IPSec connections, etc. It is also the client end of the firewall. This leads to the disadvantage of Aramiska - the firewall. You can only get PPTP and IPSec ports routed to a pc on your network. The rest are fully closed. This means that if you need to contact your network remotly that you need to set up a VPN server and 'dial' into it from the remote pc. This makes it very secure, though it could be a problem for some people. Though with Netsystem, for example, you dont get a public ip address for your pc at all and you cant connect to it when netsystem is connected, other than through the modem/isdn.

Martin, is the place you're considering satellite for the main office to which all the remote pcs would be connecting to?

Brendan.

Martin, is the place you're considering satellite for the main office to which all the remote pcs would be connecting to?

Brendan.

Basically, yes.

There are couple of other options though, e.g have a replica of my database on on a server in the North with ADSL connection with remote PC's linking to it and have only this one machine linking directly to main office in Letterkenny; could maybe use thin client solution e.g. Terminal Services which is now included with W2000 Server, to manage server in North from Letterkenny.

Martin

This discussion between Brendan and me is getting very specific.

If you think it is of general interest, I'm happy to continue it here; if you think it would be better taken elsewhere, that's no problem either :)

Martin Harran

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Keep it going!
    I for one find it interesting....

Originally posted by mayhem#
    Keep it going!
    I for one find it interesting....

I'm hoping other people do too.

Although €1000+ installation and €100+ per month puts satellite out of reach of most home users (plus latency problems for gamers) I am becoming more and more convinced that it is a potential solution for small to medium businesses who have no other chance of getting broadband in the foreseeable future.

I am very interested in hearing other people's experiences of it.

Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The Gilat sat, rebadged as Tiscali and Digiweb is actually an Israeli Military Comunications Sat with spare bandwidth.

You may take it as given that every packet thru the uplink is duplicated to Mossad in case it may be of 'Interest'.

No large US multinational will do business with you if they find out you are using the Gilat sat for 'their' data. You would also be in breach of contract with the Irish government....

See Here to find out where all these services are appearing from all of a sudden......

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Muck
    The Gilat sat, rebadged as Tiscali and Digiweb is actually an Israeli Military Comunications Sat with spare bandwidth.

You may take it as given that every packet thru the uplink is duplicated to Mossad in case it may be of 'Interest'.
    Daily sales of wooden floors in Ireland should be really interesting to them :)

Martin

Advertisement