Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mess

Options
  • 20-09-2002 12:58pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Multi Emulator Super System

I can't believe i only found this today! It's MAME only it doesn't emulate Arcade games it does all the consoles and computers systems instead:) It uses the MAME32 core also.Haven't had a chance to try games yet but it looks promising. Take a look at http://mess.emuverse.com/index.html

mess.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

"resistance is futile. you will be assimilated."

rotate shield and phaser frequencies. geordie when will the modifed photons be online? Sir the borg have locked on tractor beams, i recomend venting the warp plasma to distupt the beam.

mess probably would need the computing power of the enterprise to run it with a frame skip of one and 22khz sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

'twas quite a coup to get MESS on Emuverse. Attracted alot of traffic to the site when it was still active (Emuverse, not MESS!).

MESS is still going strong.... the guys are gearing up for another release at the moment, I think.

Oh by the way, I think you'll find that http://www.mess.org is easier to remember, too. ;)

- Dave.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Let the MAME errr..MESS Bashing commence!!:D
    TmB I only came across that site by chance it does look very promising but as DiscoStu has said MAME and anything MAME touches usually send game performance down the shute unless you've the luxury of having super computer with a USB port for your joypad;) ...Me waits and sees....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nah... most things should run on a 1GHz+ these days.
    (MAME and MESS)

- Dave.

What i'm saying is....If you play lets say Marvel Vs Capcom on
    AMD K6-2 500mhz using fianl burn it will zip along perfectly.
    Using the same spec and running it in mame you get a huge performance hit. My point? It shouldn't need a 1Ghz processor to run;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

if you can emulate a playstation at full speed on a 500mhz p3 why should you need 1ghz to run what is basically an overclocked atari st with an extra 4mhz sound chip(cps-2). emulate one or two systems and do it well thats my stance. now where the hell is species 8472 when you need em?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Mame differs in performance from game to game, but it generally runs pretty badly, you do have the odd exception but its few and far between.

Whats always really bothered me was the sound emulation. Once you turn that off the fps goes to max on my 500 on pretty much any game. Would be understandable if say they were emulating something like a q-sound generator for cps-1 and 2 but we're talking things like MK2, which just had a standard sound chip, yet it takes as much processing power as the gfx.

It could all be sorted so easily. Add support for gfx cards, in most of the high end emulators it really helps to shoulder the load, but mame seem to completely overlook it.

I've the same problem with the nasty slow down in my midway roms MK,MKII,NBA Jam on my other machine. It's just a bastard that mame's the only emu to support them:mad: Well we can hope, FBA and WinUAE are both supporting OpenGL now (To varying degree's of success) so you never know bugs...

Advertisement