Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT - Ireland's cheapest Internet access rate

Options
  • 19-09-2002 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

Ireland's cheapest Internet access rates

With IOL Free all you pay is the price of a local call for every minute that you're on-line.

When you become an Esat BT home phone customer, you will benefit from the cheapest non-subscription based Internet access rates in Ireland. To qualify for these great rates, simply switch to Esat BT for your home phone service. Then just connect to the Internet with IOL Free.

Daytime 4c
    Evening 1c
    Weekend 1c
    http://home.iol.ie/subscribe-iol-free

This of course is no longer the cheapest rate. If you just join UTVIP's phone service alone and dial into any local rate isp you are charged .95 c/min off-peak and 3.8 c/min peak

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You'll find however that the ASAI do not classify websites as 'advertising'. Yes yes I know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

Thats a joke, they dont classify that as advertising bah. Well I got a leaflet in the door from EsatBT today and it says "still the cheapest non-subscription per minute access rates in Ireland!"

Well Thats gotta be considering advertising :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by hmmm
    You'll find however that the ASAI do not classify websites as 'advertising'. Yes yes I know ;)

What about a flyer? I got one yesterday with the form they sent me and it says "Of course you can still choose to spend more time on-line or to go on-line during the day. If you do, you will just pay for these calls on an extra per minute basis** (still the cheapest non-subscription per minute access rates in Ireland!)

** Additional Call Charges: Daytime 4c per min. Evening 1c per min. Weekend 1c per min

I'll drag up the exact text of the ASAI, but it's something to do with advertising being something that is delivered by a 3rd party - so leaflets should fall under that - give it a go, simply go to www.asai.ie and fill in a complaint. Really easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

From the ASAI Code of Advertising Standards :
    1.3 The Code applies to:
    <snip>
    c. brochures, leaflets, circulars, mailings and fax transmissions,

Covered then, feel free and righteous to file a complaint

As an aside, it also applies to
    e. advertisements carried on audiotapes, videotapes, viewdata services, the Internet and all other electronic and computer systems,

depite what they/others might say. Might be an idea to throw their own code at them if they fail to consider misleading statements/blatant lies made by Irish companies on their websites. (edit) I suppose it only applies to actual adverts on the Internet though, leaving alive the possibility that a company can just lie all day long on their actual websites as long as they keep their banner adverts "Legal, Decent, Honest and Truthful". Change required to the code then IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by dun_do_bheal

What about a flyer? I got one yesterday with the form they sent me and it says "Of course you can still choose to spend more time on-line or to go on-line during the day. If you do, you will just pay for these calls on an extra per minute basis** (still the cheapest non-subscription per minute access rates in Ireland!)

** Additional Call Charges: Daytime 4c per min. Evening 1c per min. Weekend 1c per min

Nothing wrong with that.

ok dug up their message

blah blah .....
    "An advertisment for the purposes of the Code is defined as a paid for communication the characteristics of which is that the advertiser pays a third party to communicate his message. It is not considered that the contents of a website generally comes under the Code. In these circumstances I regret that we are unable to pursue your complaint"

A typical example of someone who hasn't *got* the internet. Anyway, feel free to plaster whatever adverts you want on your website you won't have any sanction applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The rates are correct.

They apply to any local call which includes all eircom.net pops as well as iol pops and oceanfree ones

other isps are on 1890 or are not nationwide

therefore the fault is in stating that iol free is the only ISP that can be contacted at those rates.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

1.3 The Code applies to:
    <snip>
    c. brochures, leaflets, circulars, mailings and fax transmissions

If you would like, you could Probably stretch "fax transmissions" as data transmission since it turns a hard copy into data and then to paper or to another pc as a "document.." which all web pages are classed as.

If you wanted to stretch the point!? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭theking

The ASAI is only set up to regulate (on a voluntary basis) what is termed, since the Carlisle v Carbolic Smoke Ball Case (that's really the name) as 'sales puff'. Claims by the company itself, if they are a factor in inducing the customer to buy their product/service will fall under contract law. Breaches of these terms are enforceable in the courts, not the ASAI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by theking
    the Carlisle v Carbolic Smoke Ball Case

Oh, that one brings on old memories.

Advertisement