Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ODTR: "Regulatory Challenges & Opportunities..."

Options
  • 19-09-2002 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

See HERE for full document (at http://www.odtr.ie).
    Regulator Cautions on National Competitiveness
    The Telecoms Regulator, Etain Doyle today warned that despite the developments made in a relatively short time in the Irish communications industry, growing costs whether generated both externally and internally, could erode national competitiveness if left unchecked. She made her comments today, 19th September 2002, at a conference organised by the ODTR on Regulatory Challenges & Opportunities for the ICT Sector - New EU Framework, New Market Perspectives which was attended by over 180 people representing the telecoms industry, government Departments, public sector bodies and the regions.

Was IOFFL at this event? Any news, info, etc?

Quote from main doc:
    Referring to eircom she [Etain Doyle] said that as the largest company in the market, eircom needs an active competitive telecoms market in order to continue to develop.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Read the MRBI surveys available on the ODTR website - great stuff. Based on their conclusion, Etain should now toodle off and resign as the results couldn't be much clearer. I love the way the broadband price range that people were asked to comment on were all below the Eircom price range. Why weren't people asked whether they would subscribe to broadband for €200 a month? Muppets.

Eircom should also be forced to apologise to the nation for saying there is a lack of content on the web that people want to access, the 'Agreement with Technology Statements' on the residential survey puts paid to that argument.

Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

more quotes:
    The main findings of the survey are:
    - 85% of SMEs have broadband access
    - 60% use dial-up modems, while 39% said they used an ISDN connection
    - 63% of SMEs did not know their type of bandwith
    Can anyone explain how 85% have broadband, 60% use dialup and 39% use ISDN?

What sort of cowboys did this survey exactly??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

As a matter of fact there are 2 surveys, both zipped...unusually intelligent for the ODTR that.

hmmm referred to This MRBI one but there is a zipped PDF file from Ovum too on the infamous broadband network in Ireland.

So I printed it and went for a dump a while ago to get some peace.

It is pretty dense, 80 pages with quite a few assumptions that make heavy reading and lots of juicy tech. Ignore much of it and head here.

Jump to fig 6.1 page 26.

This shows that if €ircom provided (made available in a neighbourhood) 512k connections to 65% of the population, and if less than half of those, comprising 30% of the population took it....all to occur within the next 5 years, the equipment costs to a carrier is at most €700 euros per connection for ADSL.....the copper already exists.

Then there is their notorious setup charge which gets a good slab of the cash upfront anyway, thereby increasing the €ircon time to GOUGE interval.

Eircom would make their cost back in less than 5 months and have over 4.5 years to gouge the customer thereafter

A higher availability and crucially a higher % takeup would reduce this cost to €530 per user or what Eircom makes back in 3 months with their setup and 3 months rental.

I haven't had time to check all the figures but they look reasonable.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

Two members of IOFFL attended. More news soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The Telecoms Regulator, Etain Doyle today warned that despite the developments made in a relatively short time in the Irish communications industry, growing costs whether generated both externally and internally, could erode national competitiveness if left unchecked.
    Gods, that sentence hurt to read.
    So I printed it and went for a dump a while ago to get some peace.
    Uh, more information than we required Muck. Still, at least now we know where the handle came from. :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by LoBo
    more quotes:

Can anyone explain how 85% have broadband, 60% use dialup and 39% use ISDN?

What sort of cowboys did this survey exactly??

Bit odd all right. I'm guessing they're tabulating the results in some kind of odd (inane) way.

As most of us will recall, the ODTR classify ISDN as broadband for some unfathomable reason. Eircom and the ODTR are pretty much the only organisations on the planet that do this.

Figures still don't add up, but then, someone is lying about something (yes, yes, anyone feel free to sue me because I think the ODTR are inept as an organisation, Eircom are a bunch of lying thieves and Esat don't know the difference between "prepaid NoLimits" and post-paid, making them lying chancers too - if any of the above organisations is in the mood for a court date, PM me for my address).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by sceptre

Bit odd all right. I'm guessing they're tabulating the results in some kind of odd (inane) way.

Looking at the table-maybe what is meant is that 85% of SME's have access to the ineternet...(ie it's either a typo or a brainfart..)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'm guessing they're tabulating the results in some kind of odd (inane) way.

You left out an 's' there sceptre.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Accidentally stumbled upon the office block of the ODTR today (it's around the back of that Irish Life Shopping Mall craphole right?) and I couldn't help shouting out "You suck Etain!"

Felt so satisfying :]

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I'm guessing they're tabulating the results in some kind of odd (inane) way.

You left out an 's' there sceptre.

Not the soberest at the moment so I can't see where.

kinds? ways?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Griff667

I'd hazard a guess at insane.

Originally posted by Griff667
    I'd hazard a guess at insane.

10/10 I think (thanks). I should watch more Countdown.

Back on topic now hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I'd have thrown it back at them to do it again...properly.

Unfortunately its in the public domain now and all it proves is that turkeys think that christmas is a retail opportunity!

only 5% of journalist will read the other coz its too heavy for them, I bet they'll try to rationalise the fluff tomorrow.

jawsus.

Advertisement