Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre rings , Fibre rings....

Options
  • 19-09-2002 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Yeahhhhh baaaaby!

.....sing that subject line to the chorus of Purple Rain.......

"all I wanna see right now is a fiHHHEbre ring"

Back in the day when 3G was hot hot hot the ESB came out with this. I understand that work has progressed and that the target date for completion mentioned in the link is not very far away having only slipped a Tad when the next bit of news was released early this year.

An Bord Gáis is also completing a fibre ring which connnects Cork/Limerick/Galway/Athlone/Dublin/Cork in the next few months, they drop it in with the pipeline....smart guys the gasmen. That'll be in by the end of the year too. An Bord G had a telecomms department a number of years ago ISTR....c. 1998

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

hhmmmmm......strange we haven't heard anything since???? maybe they are planning to give away 10mbit lines to every home for free.....I won't hold my breath for this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

I actually overheard some ESB heads talking about this today at the ODTR conference! It appears to be still alive. Maybe we could go and get an official word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

One other Q for them.

You might find out who is stitching up 802.11 access to the masts (owned by the ESB entity Towerco , the other one is Fiberco) and post back, conclusively, here whether there is an exclusive agreement a la Eshat and CIE as regards providing an 802.11 service from a Towrco mast anywhere in the state or whether Towerco will play ball with anybody and provide backhaul too.

I am not jumping to any conclusions here.....

M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I heard a bit about this on the radio today (litefm news of all things). Didnt catch much of it, just that the plan seemed to be alive and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

......for our Neighbours of course not us.

Note its a 512k wireless service for €50 a month or so!

They are proposing to cover an area very similar to Westmeath in size and topology and population dispersal (rolling countryside but no mountains as such) with 5 towers or so to cover the whole of Hampshire.

Needless to say, because its in the UK, it has been announced AFTER it is switched on. This system sounds like rumours I have heard re: the ESB and its towerco section.

M

• Advertisement
Advertisement