Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT - New Offer

Options
  • 17-09-2002 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭

today i got another form from Esat BT and a message on the answering machine. this time there was some changes

40 hours - €15
    80 hours - €25
    120 hours - €30

nice improvement but still a bit to go to catch UTV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Interesting. Obviously a response to UTV's offer.

Now, when is the Managing Director of ESAT BT's internet services going to join us here on the Boards and answer questions about the new service?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

interesting change from the original offering.

Granted that UTV's offering is better but given the comments that users have posted about the quality of the utv service I wonder will the Esat option become all that more viable?

Not meaning to bitch and moan about UTV but after having signed up and waiting for my phone number to switched over I'm wondering if I have made a wise decision. After all, I'd rather pay that bit extra/get a few hours less on the internet if the service is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I think we need to look beyond short term advantage. What do I mean by that? So what if Esat offer a product that is 'best', or if, god forbid, eircom come out with the 'best' product, these companies have screwed us around for years and we need to show as consumers that we have memories. We need to show that if a company is willing to offer us a service we demand, and is willing to interact with customers in a way as shown here recently, that they will be awarded. If UTV has a better product than Esat or Eircom, we take the UTV product. If an Esat or Eircom product is marginally better than UTV, we still go with UTV. Only if Esat or Eircom come in with a product that is far better than the UTV offering do we think about going with them.

And there's no pojnt saying "well it's just me it won't matter" - it all adds up, and there might be 10,000 other people out there thinking "it's just me" also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

after what i've read about UTV going dead and being very slow at times i'm going to go with Esat BT

• Registered Users Posts: 55,491 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I wouldn't be so quick to jump, monk. They have the best offer by far, and are obviously working flat out on their teething problems.

I'd say give it to the end of the week before making a decision.

ESAT burned their bridges with me when they sent that letter.

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Nobody

Mossy,
    Do not expect Esat's offering to be any smoother. What's happening with UTVip, at present, is a mirror of Esat's SNL startup, and... as with SNL it takes a couple of months to sort it.

Anyone who was with SNL at it's launch will have already reached the same conclusion. "Esat's "Flat-Rate" won't be any different... you're fooling yourself if you believe otherwise. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by TmB
    [B
    ESAT burned their bridges with me when they sent that letter.[/B]

They burnt their bridges with me when they disconnected me for 'changing numbers' when my mum said it was ok, that I could keep her number, while she got mine. I had the service for 2 weeks - had a few problems before hand (Esat got it working on my birthday, then the following bank holiday it refused to work :(). Took a few months to find out that they cut me off, and then they charged me for 2 bills (one for the 2 weeks, at about 13 Quid, and another for around 18 which I have no idea where it came from.) I phoned them up a month or 2 ago to get a reprint of the bill (my mum was annoyesd that it wasn't paid for after 2 years) and ask about the no limits service. The guy on the phone said that I wasn't taking advantage ofthe service, which really annoyed me. Esat will have to try extremely hard to win me back, considering what happened... And all this was before the now-infamous cutoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Think of it this way...
    at the momment esat an ercom have to sit up and take note!
    and its working.. :) esat suddenly changed its pricing structure..

WE! are now in the driving seat for a change.
    Lets force change, and move to UTV. let esat and ercom do the hard work for a change. it will make a nice change from us screeming! at them to give us flat rate, but instead them pleading with us to take it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Mossy Monk
    after what i've read about UTV going dead and being very slow at times i'm going to go with Esat BT

Just to let you know, it's been fixed and seems too be realy fast, and I've had no problems dialing in either since they solved there problem tonite, 3 hrs and 7 mins of fast connection tonite. I'm happy with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by Mossy Monk

utv internet are an incredible isp, I've used them for a few months and have had no problems with them not even a slow connection.

• Advertisement

all is well but i'll give it a few days to be sure
    also, where can i get the software for UTV's standard dial up so i can see if it makes any improvement on my connection speeds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Mark_irl

Try here and choose the Sign up online option

http://www.u.tv/internet/services/

i have tried UTV and my connection hasn't improved at all. still at 16,800 bps. i must have one of those split line thingys. i'll have to look at the telephone pole tomorrow and check for a little box :(

Advertisement