Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Errorcom Sticks Head in Ground and Bans Boards...

Options
  • 17-09-2002 5:06pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Compare and contrast our favourite ISP and UTV for a moment.

As we've seen UTV have come here and run the gauntlet of public attack and recrimination but found that people here WANT TO HELP THEM make better products and just want a fair deal.
    Interaction works great and suddenly we have 3 products where before we only had one with which everyone (including UTV) are happy with. Hurrah for us. Yay! \o/

Now lets look at that *other* ISP. Well, they just banned Boards.ie from their internal workers....

"Organizational policies prohibit access to this page. "

La lallaalaal if we dont see it, it isnt happening... lalalal..lallal

Actually I have to say, its a howl, I havent had as good a laugh as this in a while...

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

eircom.net or eircom?

and have they banned other websites? or just boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

what is this boards.ie you speak of?

just checked with someone I know working in Eircom.net:

they continue to have unrestricted access to the internet, including boards.ie

Must be Eircom themselves, the lumbering behemoth. Presumably their spare 5000 workers were all looking at boards.ie or something :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭lynchie

Eircom.net could not ban it. They are an ISP and hence would be preventing all their customer's from accessing it which AFAIK would be illegal for them to do (Unless your living in China).

Im sure certain personnel in Eircom still have access and will peep in from time to time.

I didn't mean Eircom.net banning their customers from accessing it, but banning their employees from it - different thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

If you happen to be an eircom employee and want to keep reading boards, please send me a private message.

if they can't get on boards.ie, how will they read that? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by LoBo
    if they can't get on boards.ie, how will they read that? ...

Well, if they're eircon employees, they'll have been convinced that it's ok to pay per minute for internet access at home, so that's how they do it.......

:D

good point!

/me stands corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by DeVore
    Now lets look at that *other* ISP. Well, they just banned Boards.ie from their internal workers....

"Organizational policies prohibit access to this page. "
    Can this be confirmed? If so, surely some of the journalists should have a field day with it :)

Martin Harran

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Martin, I rarely publish without checking my fact (a kneejerk reaction to the spectre of libel the admins live under :) )

That is the exact text of the page which Eircom employees see when they go to access Boards.ie.

Of course it could all be coincidence, we DO have a lot of users from the rank and file of Eircom employees (some that might surprise you all :) so this might just be a "usage" issue... or someone who didnt see the need to let people access it during work hours.

I'll hold my own council about that.

I'm perfectly happy to talk to any reporters out there who want to write about Boards regardless of the topic. :) (Indeed maybe its just me but I think Boards has a great story behind it as an anti-dot-com example). *grin*

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ps: if there are any eircom employees reading this... we've set up several other routes into boards.ie which havent been blocked and if you want to know you'll have to pm Regi :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Hi,
    when you say eircom employees have been banned from accessing boards.ie do you mean from their computers at their work, why so ?

Regards netwhizkid

N.B i edited out the other question cause it was stupid as highlighted by some replys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Eircom employees are being blocked from their work computers. There is no way that Eircom could stop their employees from accessing boards from home, even if they were all eircom.net users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Originally posted by netwhizkid
    Hi,
    when you say eircom employees have been banned from accessing boards.ie do you mean from their computers at their work or their own personal computers at their homes ??

Regards netwhizkid

Ahem, which such a nick you should know better than to ask that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

wow, Communism in our own back yard.... Isn't this pretty much the same as what China is doing to its own ppl ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by ando
    wow, Communism in our own back yard.... Isn't this pretty much the same as what China is doing to its own ppl ?
    Not really. Eircom are well within their rights to block their employees' access to boards -- they pay for the bandwidth and connectivity, as well as the employee's time. It's just amusingly symbolic of their whole "bury head in sand and hope they go away" attitude towards IoffL. Especially when you contrast them with Utv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

They've had it blocked for ages.......
    I was using one of their employees pcs there after hours before and when trying to visit any number of pages you couldn't access them because they didn't want anything TOO entertaining for the employees to look at.

Regi could you pm me the link to that webby that redirects you nps pls?

They are well within their rights to block access to whatever they please.

Today either they broadened the number of people blocked or something but people who were able to access it up until this morning found themselves locked out this afternoon.

I only comment on it because of the contrast with UTV!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

I only comment on it because of the contrast with UTV!

Yeah - someone in eircom saw the words good customer service in one of the posts, and had a fit.

No point in concepts like that propagating through the organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

Eircon have a 'Ignorance is BLISS' attitude. They actually think that everyone in Ireland it totally ignorant to what they are doing and that we are all still living in the Stone Age. Can I be a Fly on the wall when they actually find out and admit that 'They' are the ones living in the Stone Age? Come on! I'll even Pay for the privilege.!

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Martin, I rarely publish without checking my fact (a kneejerk reaction to the spectre of libel the admins live under :) )
    Took that for granted, Dev, but also assumed that you cannot always dislose your sources :)

Martin

Be clear that this is Eircom Ireland we are talking about not Eircom.net

DeVore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

What about megaproxy, anonymizer, and so forth?
    I'm sure they'd get around such fascist (if work-ethic-like and err... eircom-patriotic (don't I use too many hyphens?)) policy with some web browser proxies :)

http://www.sendfakemail.com/anonbrowser/
    http://anonymizer.com
    http://www.megaproxy.com

Unless management at eircom are efficient enough to have blocked all of them... and from the looks of things, yeah right :P

sláinte
    zynaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Krouc

Working in Eircom now and sending this post.

Yup, seems it was restored 24 hours after it was removed. Interesting, but ultimately just a diversion for the bored :)

DeV.

Originally posted by Krouc
    24/7 Net Access, 1039 Euro a month - Eircom don’t do unmetered Internet access packages but if they did it would probably be the worst unmetered package in the world.
    hehe, welcome to the fold :)

Advertisement