Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken 4 - bit of a rip off!

Options
  • 16-09-2002 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭

Just saw Tekken 4 on sale in Xtra-vision for €70. Seem's to be a bit of a rip off considering the game is doing fairly poorly in the reviews. Anyone seem it on sale for less in Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

I've been playing it in the arcades and it hasn't progressed much from Tekken Tag or Tekken 3. The new enclosed arenas are better but there aren't very many characters. The new ones such as Violet and Combot are just Lee and Mokujin under a new guise. And there were only 8 rounds in the arcade version. Bit short!
    So €70 is too pricey, I'll wait til it goes platinum... if it ever does!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Tekken seems to have lost its way as a genre leader with games like VF4 on the PS2 now...

Glad to see it - it was never *that* great a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bugs

Its not the best game of the series. But its a complete change from the standards the game was working on for the past 3 versions. They've gone fully 3d, changed pretty much all of the games physics and alot of the old characters have been totally redone.
    Violet "is" lee you dummy, selecting him in the arcade using right punch removes the purple hair and glasses and renames him lee!

Personally, i can't see whats wrong with the style that tekken tag had but they had probably run out of things they could do with that system. As far as i'm concerned, its a new game, i've had it since the japanese release and i don't mind it. Its not great, its no tekken tag, but at least its something they can build on.

As for anyone who thinks its not much of a series of games. Its only outsold worldwide by street fighter and mostly due to the fact that when SF was selling big it had zero competition and also it has about 15 different variations.
    Tekken tag is still played in national/international tournaments all over the world, which can't be said for any other fighting game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭batman_oh

hasnt progressed much?
    thats what scrubs say, and it annoys me a lot
    tekken 4 is a totally different game to tekken tag, alas its only people who can actually play tekken that will realise this
    tekken 4 has been slated for ages by the tekken players because it is so different, but its startin to grow on many due to the fact that ttt is 3 years old and every knows it well
    dont post stuff when u have litte understandin of what u are on about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Its not so much the quality of the game that's getting on my nerves, tho it is sad when a series as good as the Tekken's have been drop in stature, it's the fact that's its 20 quid more expensive than every other new release on the PS2.

The new Turok game was also on sale and it only cost €50.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

70 notes is ridiciulous for a game. Especially a game that isnt *that* great and is little more then the standard beat-em-up fare with new backgrounds...

Its a good game but for 70 notes they can shove it.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

while trundling into Golden Discs in Waterford a few weeks back i spotted Smackdown for the PS2. i was going to get it until i saw the price tag. a whopping €78 even though it's out on platinum. that display of greed has turned me away from Golden Discs. that's an outrage

Yeah, the price is a bit nuts, i paid 55 dollars for a japanese copy when it was released. In fact, its becoming cheaper and cheaper for me to buy imports than it is to buy PAL releases. Especially considering i can pick up most of the best seller titles on the net (they're usually just out over here) for about 20-25 dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I was just not willing to pay 70.

If i see it cheap preowned or I get an exceptionaly large reward card voucher I may buy it.

I remember I gave my card to a group of friends who were going to do some serious shopping in GAME. On bought a GF3 and an Audigy Card. Others bought many many games

When I got the statement there was a £20 voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭cactus jack

i've been a fan of the tekken series since the release of the very first one but being honest unlike a lot of people who still claim tekken is the best series out there i'd have to say it's been a downwrd spiral since the great heights of tekken 2.
    70 quid is a complete joke for a game which has only recieved a few tweaks and the entry of either friends or family as new characters.
    i'd advise people to stay away from it and go for a real fighting game like virtua fighter 4

• Advertisement

ryo hazuki what happened to your challenege on ttt? i wanted to play u since u thought u were so good
    ttt was the best fightin game ever, after it was kof 98 prolly and sf2 super turbo, t2 sux arse compared to t3 and ttt, it is really limited and basic

Originally posted by cactus jack

i'd advise people to stay away from it and go for a real fighting game like virtua fighter 4

Ahhh now...the words "real fighting game" and virtua fighter in the same sentence.
    VF has really only ever stood out for the looks category. Don't get me wrong, theres a definite skill to the game but its far and beyond the ability of the human brain. They made it overly technical and while making it "real", they still haven't removed the 10 foot jumps you can float your character to in the air.
    Virtua fighter bar no other game should be getting kicks for not having changed. The game system hasn't changed really at all since the first game. Most of the characters are still there with the odd extra move tossed in. Its not fun to play (which can be seen by its total lack of play in arcades and the fact it doesn't sell well.)

As you can see, i'm not a fan, but its probably the only fighting game ever where i've paid to play it in an arcade (all 4 of them) and stopped half way thru a fight and walked away due to either boredom or the computer AI just repeatedly knocking out frame beating combo's.

I get an immense thrill playing VF4... I just don't get the same from Tekken 4... it seems after TTT they started running out of ideas... :( genuine pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

The Tekken series is still better than the DOA and VF series.

Originally posted by Spiffing
    The Tekken series is still better than the DOA and VF series.

Heh, I think a lot of us would appreciate you expanding on that point with a 'because'...

And no, 'I say so' doesn't count ;) .

DOA3 - Not really a game for fighting fans as such, but I get fun out of this game - and isn't that what matters most? The whole multiple arena concept (taken from Ehrgeiz (spelling?) I believe) simply comes into its own on two player.

Originally posted by NoelRock
    I get an immense thrill playing VF4... I just don't get the same from Tekken 4... it seems after TTT they started running out of ideas... :( genuine pity.

Thats the point tho, namco were getting alot of stick for not changing the game in any radical way for such a long time. They had just been building on a system they started with tekken 1. Tekken 4 is a new system altogether. As i said, its amusing, but its not a whole lot of fun multiplayer or after a long period of time. I'd expect them to build on this with later releases, and make it better.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Well, if anyone's interested and has access to a credit/debit card, I notice it's UK£34.99 which works out at €55.42 on play.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    while trundling into Golden Discs in Waterford a few weeks back i spotted Smackdown for the PS2. i was going to get it until i saw the price tag. a whopping €78 even though it's out on platinum. that display of greed has turned me away from Golden Discs. that's an outrage

Up until a few months ago the same Golden Discs in waterford were charging £45 (and whatever that is in Euro) for Tekken 3. What a rip off! I bought that game in '99 for £20.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Golden Disc's have always been rip off merchants. Love nor money wouldnt get me to shop there. I though only aunties and grannies shopped there :)

i have no intention of buyin tekken4 anyway
    i paid thru the arse to get a us ttt due to the intolerably appaling pal version, but t4 isnt good enough to warrant the money now that i am saving
    ill probably win it anyway in the gamesworld competition in a onth or so, ive yet to lay any1 in this country better than me on t4 even tho i dont ever play it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

E 65.00 in Argos.

Never would have thought Argos would be cheap :/
    BTW does anyone know the price of it in Smyths?

Advertisement