Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTVip Telephony Questions

Options
  • 16-09-2002 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was wondering whether this deal includes telephone calls, so when I make phone call after 6 and on weekends do I pay the usual eircom rate or dont I pay if I have the utvip thing?
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

My understanding (from reading the blurb on the site http://www.utvip.com) is that telephony is a part of this package, and as such certain calls will be charged (cheaper than eircon).

There are some restrictions, but all in all it looks like a good deal. I suggest you go read the blurb for specifics.

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Yep with UTVip you still have to pay for evening and weekend voice calls.....these are billed at 0.95c per min with an additional 3.8c set up charge, ie 5min weekend local call is 4.75+3.87c (8.62c). (slighly more then eircom at 6.35c for 5 mins/min call charge).

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dromoland

I've signed up for UTVip. I've been using Eircom for my telephony and I've had premium rate numbers barred to stop others members of my household abusing my phone line.

This may seem naive to some but can I do the same with the UTV telephony.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by patrickmooney
    Yep with UTVip you still have to pay for evening and weekend voice calls.....these are billed at 0.95c per min with an additional 3.8c set up charge, ie 5min weekend local call is 4.75+3.87c (8.62c). (slighly more then eircom at 6.35c for 5 mins/min call charge).

Is the an additional 3.8c set up charge absorbed into the cost of the call?

If not - how can they claim to be 25% cheaper?

Originally posted by Cork

Is the an additional 3.8c set up charge absorbed into the cost of the call?

If not - how can they claim to be 25% cheaper?

As it's a call set up charge it's added onto every call as an "extra cost", if it where a min call charge then it would be absorbed.

Where the 25% claim comes from......perhaps it was made in relation to a min call length, for example 25% cheaper for a 1 minute call perhaps?

It's this call set up which turns me off CPS. I had an NTL salesman at the door last week claiming NTL have dropped theirs. Haven't looked into it yet.

Oh and if c for cent annoyes some posters, what annoys me is how the euro is displayed in France and Italy. In Ireland €5.35, France it's 5.35€ and in Italy it's €5,35 (comma). C is for eurocent, whilst ¢ is for US cent no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by patrickmooney

As it's a call set up charge it's added onto every call as an "extra cost", if it where a min call charge then it would be absorbed.

Where the 25% claim comes from......perhaps it was made in relation to a min call length, for example 25% cheaper for a 1 minute call perhaps?

I don't have my figures here on me, but my understanding was as follows:

That for the first couple of mins, utv was cheaper, then for the next couple of mins, eirComa were cheaper, then after that, utv was consistently cheaper - due to eirComa's use of minimum call charging, as opposed to utv's set up charge + per min. calling

No??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Your calculator (in sig previous post) is good Patrick. Great comparison tool and well wear.

Given the effects of minimum charges and call setups and other telecoms billing practices, what is the assumed duration of every internet call in your calculator?

A call setup charge becomes insignificant if the average call is 1 hour, not so if it is 1 minute...but then neither is a minium call charge from Eircom on a 1 second call.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

These set up charges worry me. If you have 2 lines going into a house - can you use one for UTV internet and one 4 your regular phone service?

Or I'm sure you can just prefix your call with 13666 to route you call back to eircom, thus avoiding trafficing on UTVip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Corko

For phone services - Who are the cheapest?

When u sign up to UTV = you must also take their phone service.

With Eircom - the offer a Discount Scheme. You need to have the wisdom of Soloman to try to figure out who offers the best value.

Eircom are pretty expensive regarding the NET. We all are all in agreement on that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Corko

All calls are subject to a 3.87 cent setup fee including VAT
    Non-geographical and mobile numbers are not eligible for 25% discount

How much are UTV charging for mobile calls?

When you buy the UTV internet package - you are buying a package. Is it better to go with ESAT BT for the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Corko
    How much are UTV charging for mobile calls?

UTV do not offer their 25% discount to calls to mobile phones, and as such they charge the same as Eircom for such calls.

Advertisement