Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tg4

Options
  • 11-09-2002 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

I'm really trying to get some fluency back in my Irish, and I've started listening to RnaG but there's only so much trad music I can listen to (metaller at heart), and in any case it's the language I want. It' just too easy to turn your thoughts though, and forget about the radio.

Anyway, I was wondering if any kind soul would be able to recommend something interesting to watch on TG4. I've tried looking at TG4, but usually end up seeing an interview with some extremely old man speaking some dialect that I swear must be Welsh or something, or some cheeeesy American deanta-chun-teilifís film.

I remember once that they used to display subtitles in Irish on some programmes, do they still do it? It was brilliant for training your ear to the sound. I'm okay with the Connaught dialect and dodgy with the Munster one, but it was the Donegal one that I grew up learning and I can understand best, but I'm willing to give anything a go.

Cheers my dears

Michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

I've found that their documentaries are excellent. They do them on some very quirky alternative subjects. Look at the primetime section in the TV listings and there's one only nearly every evening.

I've found that their documentaries are excellent. They do them on some very quirky alternative subjects. Look at the primetime section in the TV listings and there's one only nearly every evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Before I begin I'll just clarify that this post ISN'T meant as a piss take! :)

I suggest you videotape the links for Cula4 during weekdays. I watched it during my lazy college days purely for the very cute presenter Sile Seoige but as a side-effect I found myself unintentionally picking up the language and now I can understand pretty much everything she's saying during her segments.

Her accent is Galwegian (I believe?) and is very easy to follow. As well as that as Cula4 is a kids show the lingo is probably that little bit easier to follow so if you're (as you say) just getting back into Irish then this might be just the thing for you.

As a bonus she's not hard on the eyes either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by Pigman
    Her accent is Galwegian (I believe?) and is very easy to follow.

It took three attempts before I stopped seeing Glaswegian instead of Galwegian - I was trying to imagine Irish with a Scottish accent :D

I'll give it a go. For the Irish content of course ;)

• Advertisement

If I could give you one reason for learning irish, Síle Seoige would be ...it.... (and Sharon Ní Bheoláin too!:D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by Gael
    (and Sharon Ní Bheoláin too!:D )

Apparently she's a proper wankerín :P

Tá sí go hálainn though...

A proper wankerín. Does that mean I might be able to get her to **** me????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Maybe for five dollah :P

zynaps
    (give her my number if you do)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 TopGun

lads lads lads, all of ye are talking bout Seoige,
    but what about the total Ride who is doin the weather some nites(AN AIMSIRE LAITHEACH)her name is SILE BRENNAN.:D

The Best looking woman on TG4
    SILE BRENNAN I would so love to give it to her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement