Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowboarding helmets and wristguards

Options
  • 11-09-2002 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Does anyone know anywhere in Dublin where I can buy a snowboarding helmet and/or snowboarding wristguards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Have you tried these guys which are mentioned in the links sticky, there are another couple of links for people looking to buy said gear if you would please have a look around :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Unless you are planning to go very off-piste (and I dont recommend it unless you have about a decade of experience under your belt) you wont need a helmet imho.

Concussion that you might get from flipping out at high speeds is not really detered by a helmet. What you'd need a helmet for is for not cracking your head off rocks that are sticking out or hidden just beneath the snow.
    Frankly, a helmet is of limited value there anyway as you are still going to have very serious or fatal injuries from a crash in that stuff. A much better idea is to spend the cash on a local guide who will know the safe areas to board off piste.
    Its your call though and only you know your abilities and the nature of where you are going to board.

As for the gloves. Essential from the day you get on the board. Dont skimp on them, buy ones with decent wrist support (as you seem to be looking for).

Personally I bought mine out in Livigno because Dublin had **** supplies and cost a fortune.

Check on the web, you might get a good deal there.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Pmc

Oh I definitely want a helmet - and I would advise anyone (especially intermediates who are picking up speed and trying harder runs) to get one. I've had one or two bangs on the head, and I've seen much worse to know the benefits. Actually, you don't really have to go off piste in the States to hit a tree - the pistes are much narrower than in Europe, and are often lined by trees. I've already got a great pair of gloves, which is why I wanted to get seperate wrist-guards. I want to get No-Gomers but am finding it difficult. I'm trying hard not to buy this kind of stuff on-line as sizes vary, which is why I posed the original question. Judging by the lack of responses it looks like I'll have to go abroad for my purchases. Cheers anyway!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Oh God yes, trees = helmets. Where I board there are almost no trees (far too high) and the runs are extremely wide with great deep snow between them.

DeV.

Advertisement