Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Genre

Options
  • 09-09-2002 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Title is self explanitory really. Im going for RTS because Im a dirty strategy whore, and of course the memories of Starcraft, Warcraft 3, soon to be Medevil:Total War (Would you believe Ive never played Shogun) and so many more

/me wipes away nostalgic tear

Favourite Game Genre 74 votes

Adventure
    0% 0 votes
    RTS (w00t!)
    2% 2 votes
    FPS
    6% 5 votes
    Survival Horror
    48% 36 votes
    RPG (once again,w00t!)
    5% 4 votes
    Sigh...Puzzle (Why??)
    17% 13 votes
    Mixture (Ala GTA3)
    2% 2 votes
    Other
    10% 8 votes
    gAMeS R teH gHEY!!URe gHey!!!!!1111!
    5% 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

ah no option for racing games

i would have voted for them instead of the fps option i went for!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

FPS,clearly :)
    RPGs are prolly 2nd fave....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Brian Bennette

Parasite Eve
    SilentHill2
    Alone in the Dark

Survival Horror

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

FPS on PC

but action/adventure or beat 'em up on consoles, cuz FPS's suck donkeys on consoles (but with Goldeneye the one great exception!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Final Fantasy Style RPGs (Not Morrowind)
    And FPS on PC

Red Faction 2 looks great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

gAMeS R teH gHEY!!URe gHey!!!!!1111!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

FPS for me:) It's just a shame i don't have a fast connection to play online:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like an FPS with a good story, e.g. Half Life, Deus Ex, System Shock (1+2), Realms of the Haunting (remember that one?), Ultima Underworld etc. etc.

I'm also a bit of a platform junkie (currently juggling David Beckham's Soccer Island and Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island on the GBA).

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

I have time for a game from any genre providing it's good - FPS and RPG would have to be my favourites though. When push comes to shove I'd have to go for RPG; more depth, plotline, character development etc - and a lot of variety in the gameplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm also a bit of a platform junkie (currently juggling David Beckham's Soccer Island and Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island on the GBA).
    lol, david beckham's soccer island... that has to be a joke

i guess my favourite genre would be fps's, followed by survival horror.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Hmm went for fps's in the end,but i think its very hard these days to plump for one genre out of them all as qutie a few games these days mix other elements in.Op falshpoint being the operative example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

i think its very hard these days to plump for one genre out of them all as qutie a few games these days mix other elements in.Op falshpoint being the operative example.

Eh..the mixture option is there you know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Eh..the mixture option is there you know
    Yeah but still to general,gneres are becoming so less defined its getting odd many games are just creting new genres as they go like the gta games made the crime sim etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Wrong. The Clue for the Amiga was the first crime sim afaik...

i'm sure there were more before that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by tman

u would think so but if u go to the trouble of finding a review ....
    maybe it isnt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

The command and conquer series are class, especially the newer ones. (bar the fps effort, that was hilariously bad...). Can't wait for the new one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

fps all the way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

It's not - and despite the utterly horrific license (die, evil moronic football celebrities, die!), it's actually a really good game. The guys from Denki who were responsible for the excellent Denki Blocks put this game together, and it's a superb little platform game. Just try and forget that it's a Beckham license...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's too many pc FPS heads on boards. Since 1996 there have only been three stand out fps, Half Life, Counterstrike and MOHAA. Every other game has played exactly the same and hasn't matched any of these games. And before you start Raven are CRAP game designers.
    Give me a decent japanese rpg any day.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Littletinyman
    I have time for a game from any genre providing it's good - FPS and RPG would have to be my favourites though. When push comes to shove I'd have to go for RPG; more depth, plotline, character development etc - and a lot of variety in the gameplay.

you fuckin nerd par

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    There's too many pc FPS heads on boards. Since 1996 there have only been three stand out fps, Half Life, Counterstrike and MOHAA. Every other game has played exactly the same and hasn't matched any of these games. And before you start Raven are CRAP game designers.
    Give me a decent japanese rpg any day.

Given that boards long and full history stems from a Quake board it's entirely understandable. Without PC FPS's Boards may never have existed... SO SHOW SOME RESPECT!

As regards your other comments, well, that's your opinion, but I'd ask why you don't regard Deus Ex among that list. It's a thoroughly good game with a good storyline, excellent interaction with the enviroment, great weapons and the rpg-like elements and it's ending makes it highly replayable. Something that is sorely lacking in other singer player FPS.

Me? I like lots of genres. As I say in a thread elsewhere I am dividing my time pretty equally between Gran Turismo 1 for the Psx and Medival: Total War on my PC.

I think in terms of total actual time playing I'd have to be classified as a God game genre lover simply because of the days and nights I've wasted playing Civ2 and 3.

I seem to play a lot less driving games since I got a real-life(tm) car. But at the moment my Caddy just can't compete with power sliding a Viper through a chicane.

And of course, I like Quake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Mysterio

I love FPS's. It's like being in different world. My favourite, and I still play it occasionally is Hexen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm sorry amp. Please forgive me for forgetting deus ex. Have to say Quake 1 and 3 are probably my favourite DM games. Quake 2 sucked donkey cock though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭mrblue

FPS, although these games are often bland as hell! I still cling to the ever failing hope that someone, somewhere will top half-life & make my life complete ;)

Advertisement