Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artificial Harmonics

Options
  • 06-09-2002 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me how to pull one? I know the "Barly put your finger on the string" one but it doesn't sound right. Does anyone know how to get one like Pantera's "Becoming"? Do I need a proper guitar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

After much discussion on irc we decided that !
    That song doesnt use artificial harmonics at all..it uses something called a ring modulator so says the tab anyways if ya wanna build one .. http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/epeasant/projects/ringmod/trmod.html !

have fun :)

NeM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

Crud...I can't do that! Any chance of buying one anywere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

ok, my friend told me that i think natural harmoinics (mebbe artificial ill tell you on sat nite) is my putting ure thumb at the edge of the pic so that ure pic hits the strings, then the thumb. this dulls the noise. hope this helps.

slán

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

I acedently done those before...I'll try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

First try getting them on the 5th, 7th and 12th frets. Then try get it with the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

'ok, my friend told me that i think natural harmoinics (mebbe artificial ill tell you on sat nite) is my putting ure thumb at the edge of the pic so that ure pic hits the strings, then the thumb. this dulls the noise. hope this helps. '

They are called 'pinched harmonics' aka screams,natural harmonics can only happen on open strings lighty cover the 12th fret cover dont press if you get my drift and play the notes..now do the same on the 6th..the ****ers are allover the place read this -

http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/harmonics/natural/index.php -
    http://www.guitaretab.com/lessons/artificial_harmonics.php -

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/f/p/fpm108/glw/lessons/lesson49.htm

that should keep you going.

now crank it up to 11 ! and rock ! wheh wheh wheh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

On the 12th frets, put your finger lightly on any string (direclty over the metal fret itself), pluck it, and quickly remove your finger, for a natural harmonic.

For an artificial, I think you can play at, err, "non-harmonious" positions, like anywhere above/below the 12th frets, do the same as a natural, but *dig in* with the plectrum. Try doing this near the pickups, you can actually get some harmonics there, it's well cool.

One last thing you might want to try - Harp Harmonics. These are really cool. Use your playing (non-fretting) hand for this, near the 12th frets, no plectrum needed.
    Pluck open D at the 15th/16th with your pinky, and put your index finger lightly over the fret on E (lower) and pluck with your thumb, removing your index finger at the same time to play a natural harmonic there. Repeat with pinky playing open G, thumb playing A, until you play high E with your pinky, and G with your thumb. Takes some getting used to, but you can do all kinds of mad stuff with it with practise. Good luck,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

you can pull off some cool Pantera-type tricks with tons of distortion and a floyd rose bridge.

My fav is to drop the strings a few tones, hit a harmonic on the third fret and thenbring the bridge back up a good few tones. You'll get that screetching sound Dimebag gets at the end of cemetary gates. Hours of fun :-)

You can get harmonics all over the place with the bridge pickup and distortion. When you are playing the note with the pick just touch the string with your thumb right after you strike it with the pick. It's all kinda one motion but you'll just get it after messing about for a while. A friend showed it to me but I couldnt get it. Then just messing about myself I just hit a few and took it from there. You can get different sounds depending on how close to the bridge you play the note. It's not a very exact science.

Throwing a few into some of Slayers riffs sounds great also

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

Aggressivley pick the string and on the downstroke hit it with your thumb and vibrate it. All this should be done quick and fluidly. I find this get killer harmonics, Dime style. It takes practice but when you get it right it rocks. Once you master it try "Cemetary Gates" by PanterA, if you can play that properly then you can play any AH song going.

P.S: Try hitting the strings at different places over the bridge to get better harmonics.

Advertisement