Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia

Options
  • 06-09-2002 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Has anyone heard anything about this game? It seems to be getting good reviews in the US. As far as I can see it's similiar to GTA3 but set in a 1930's city.

Game in Cork have it for SIXTY EURO, but you can order it from Play for UK£23 (E36).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Its fantastic, buy it. The emphasis is less on driving than in GTA3. More on assassinations really. It is brilliant though. PCZone gave it 92% and I normally find their scoring system pretty good.

Look for the review on www.pczone.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It'll probably be about 50-ish in Smyths with a loyalty card.

The game? Fantastic. Driving can get a bit boring (cops will arrest you if you break the speed limit -- 40mph!), but the game is great fun, graphics are FANTASTIC (amazing facial animation) and the music is brilliant 1930s style (sort of ragtime/godfather type music).

Recommended........

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Gamespot gave it a 9.3 as far as i remember. Ordered it from Play.com.

I really have no idea when i am going to get time to play all my new games...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

apparently its got system requirments that put morrowind to shanme. ive heard reports that it runs badly on 2ghz+ machines with gforce4s and raedon 9700 cards.

Yeah, if you max out all the details.

It autodetects what it thinks are the right settings for you. The game runs fine and looks fantastic on my PC, and I'm running a P3/1ghz/512mb RAM/GEForce 3.

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Il hold off till i get my new system i think(Any day now :)) Sounds like a good game to put it to the test.

P4 2.4Ghz
    GF 4 Ti4600
    512 Ram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

this game looks mad, mad, mad

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    apparently its got system requirments that put morrowind to shanme. ive heard reports that it runs badly on 2ghz+ machines with gforce4s and raedon 9700 cards.

I dunno about that.

I'm running an AMD 1.4, 512MB DDR, with a 128MB GeForce 4 Ti4200.

I'm playing the game at 1024x768x32-bit (best res my flatscreen supports) with Quincunx FSAA enabled in the nVidia driver. I have every in-game option to turned to the max.

I have no performance problems, and decent framerate.

Sure - if I had a better monitor, I could probably kick up to 1600x1280 and start killing the performance, but in all fairness - thats just overkill anyway.

jc

p.s. The game is excellent, although I'm only starting it. I'm stuck on the race :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

Wait till free ride extreme, its well good :D:D:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

I don't understand it, I have an AMD 1Ghz, 256M ram, geforce4 ti4600, XP Pro and it plays like a pig on my system. Even at 640x480 with minimum details it's still not half as smooth as I'd expect it to be. I think I need to reinstall windows :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

just got this today , have been playing for about 3hours now.
    Tis class.
    Got the game running like a dream with a tad bit fiddling in the
    options.
    All i have left to say is , i wont be putting this down for some time.

Hmmm..... going to be stuck in the race (Chapter 5) for a while, methinks...... Anyone got any tips to win it ??

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

Dont accelerate and turn at the same time :) Doughnut heaven! Same with break and turn.....

Keep an eye on the speedo and see whats the max speed you can make it round corners.

Go in straight lines, too much turning and straightening will kinda throw you all over the place.

You CAN go straight through the chicane with out flipping yourself upside down, at about 90 aswell....

Dont know if that will help, Dave, but some pointers. Persistance is the key!

I found the race fairly easy , finished the first go.
    no tips really on finishing it.

Aw yeah.... er... it was easy. I was just .... ummm... testing you. Yeah, thats it.

(OK, finished it first go this morning..... not as hard as I first thought)

- Dave.

Really getting stuck into the game now, the plot is very well done.
    Its keeping me playing anyways.
    I havent disliked any of the missions so far , bar maybe the first one and the Taxi one .
    the taxi one because there was a little too many fares.
    Am starting to love the game now anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

brilliant little turns and switches in the story too: don't think of it being gta, cos it isn't: think of it as being a movie, and enjoy the ride :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Mmmmm good.

It's a beautiful game. I was worried that I'd have problems running it (Athlon 600, GF2Pro, 192MB RAM) but it runs fairly grand in 800x600 with no AA (which is a pity because I think it's a game which really benefits from having it on).

Best cut scenes from any PC game I've ever played, period. Excellently animated and very decent voice talent.

Driving to and from jobs can be a little dull, especially if you're playing a mission over a few times, but it does build atmosphere aplenty.

The race is fairly tough but it's very satisfying to win. I'd say the best thing is to be aggressive to the first corner and try to be in the lead there. Each lap then, skip straight over the chicane. Once you're reasonably fast and careful the race should be yours. A lot easier said than done. :)

Worth saying that this game is really nothing like GTA3 to play. It's its own game completely.

K

PS: Sound seems to be largely responsible for slowdowns and jitters on peoples machines. You should try switching on/off software only mixing or disabling hardware acceleration in the control panel to see if that improves performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Got it last night.

Only had time for 1st mission which i failed :(

Tho have 1700XP G3 ti 500 and 512 ram and have setting son low to get a decent framerate havent twiddled anything yet.

Looks good need to play it more :)

Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Got this game Sunday. Had to tweak some settings, and I'm still not finished doing that cos I think I can do better, but I'm running it at low settings on an 800Mhz P3, TNT Vanta 32mb card, and SB Live, and it's nice and smooth, and still looks good.

I too believe that sound is the major prob.. the SB Live series of cards in particular seem to cause some problems, but I've also heard people running the game with Geforce 4 cards with major problems.

It's a great game BTW. I'd prefer it to GTA3 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Smooth as a baby's bottom on my rig. Excellent game. Very enjoyable. I'm all sad now cos I finished it at the weekend :(

If anyone can recommend any other good games, please do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Trried it agian quick free ride and graphic check.
    And got it on 800x600 All medium settings and draw distance set above medium and its spanky fast.
    Hmm no clue why it was slow yesterday.

Tho sound is perfect for me as with all games seems my built C Media is great for everything :)

Kdja

Advertisement