Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteers

Options
  • 03-09-2002 2:39pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, now we need volunteers.

People who are skilled in PHP and who are willing to work for the sheer joy of it all (and a few pints!).

We dont have any cash (as you all know) but we do have custom tags, boards.ie email addresses and the happy feeling of giving something back to the community and being part of it all :)
    *hugz*

We're thinking that a hardcode of 5-6 people should make up the team and keep it small and tight rather then having 30 people doing nothing.

So, are you interested in being one of the few, the proud, the exploited? :)

Unfortunately we'll have to vet people for obvious reasons (security etc) so some people who volunteer cant be accepted. I dont like to turn anyone down but the realities of the situation are that we are dealing with projects like CC transactions and I need to be sure of the people I am trusting. :(

So, step forward and sign up to be all you can ummmm.. be I guess. (please!! :))

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Well, I would have liked to volunteer, but between work, study,exams, and emm fishing, I'll be too busy until October 15th..if you need peeps at that stage give us a shout...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Id' be happy to help out with project design, basic muttering and moaning, and the odd bit of code here and there, but I can't commit a lot of time at the moment.

Also note that the PHP board should be handy. It's quiet now, but it'll pick up.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Well if you need any DB help I'm more than willing to help out. I would offer coding help but I dont know PHP :(

kayos

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Im not exactly too familiar with PHP, but if you need any flash material then let me know.

I have plenty of time to be *committed* through work, mapping, VAR Mod Making, Game Editing Competitions and writing that novel about Boards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

And its underway, I remember you mentioning it at the Beer.

I'll think about it. I'm waiting for a Postgrad atm and I'm also involved in Dev for another site. I'll have a think about my time and see can I commit.

(How much time from coders are you looking for?)

Skills: Php, MySQL, HTML, some JS etc.

Basically, all the stuff boards runs on.

<EDIT>
    If its a "reasonably casual" arrangement where the coder selects when to put in time then I'm definitely up for it.
    </EDIT>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I'd like to see someone do a fantasy formula 1 system linked to the vB user base :) Go for it!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

As much or as little as you want to give.... I'm hoping that some people will be sign up for projects they are interested in and work on them specifically rather then just everyone trying to work on everything a little bit...

Example, if you are interested in the Taglines project then you sign up for it and work on it as much as you want to. There are no expectations beyond that you will do at least an hour or so's work on the project every week or whatever you have committed to doing (every project will set its own deadline etc... and lets face it, noones going to be shot if its weeks late anyway... :) )

This is meant to be an experiment and a FUN break from the run of the mill coding stuff so I dont expect it to be a big arduous weight on people...

Each project would have a project manager and they would decide if they wanted help or collaboration etc and people would sign up to do a set piece of work in a set time of their choosing...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I'm down.
    PHP/mysql blahblahblah.

Grand sign me up and I'll definitely be able to give a few hours work a week at a very minimum. If I'll be too busy at any stage I'll give plenty of notice that I'll be bowing out. For the moment I'm free anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I'll be up for it.

Perl and MySQL experience would be most useful, and sure PHP is far too close to Perl not to pick up easily enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

heheh leeroy, I think the amount of notice you'd be expected to give is more along the lines of "feck off I'm busy this week" :)

good to see people volunteering... cheers.

DeV.

Perhaps I was thinking more along the lines of - "By the time you're read this post I'll have replaced every field in the DB with 'DeV is ghey', deleted the feature, and left the country for somewhere like that place that is always your timezone when you install windows (Tijuana). ;)

Nah, if I had to leave I'd give plenty of notice.

Mental Note: Instal Windows less often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

DeV, i'm self employed atm so count me in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I would love to help out and do some testing ... pity i know ASP and not PHP though :( .. if i can help though give me a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Count me in aswell...but for the moment i'll just wait and see how this will pan out first b4 commiting to any project. i'd like to see how the first few projects come about, and how will ppl comunicate to each other. I've being involved in a few open source projects b4 and some were a pain in the arse, with someone being let to carry the can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I would be interested in participating :)
    I just finished 3rd year of Information and Communications Technologies, where we do all these kinds of things (not that I paid much attention in class :) )
    I've done a few things in PHP before, I'm pretty good in C and Java... know basic SQL, etc
    I'm not a pro, but I like programming and if you need more people I'm up for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lawnkiller

Originally posted by Winters
    I would love to help out and do some testing ... pity i know ASP and not PHP though :( .. if i can help though give me a call.

php is way easier to learn than ASP (believe me - i did it). If u know anything about scripting and o-o programming then u are in - should take about 3 hours to get to grips with the php manual.

i'd volunteer but have just started bridging studies for my degree so i can't promise any time. but if some needs something and i have it already done on other projects - i'll throw it your way for a laugh/good tearing apart....

:)

i'll pop in from time to time to see what u are at anyway...i guess

Keeks, that makes you perfect for this.... I'd be interested in talking to you about WHY those projects fell on their ass and how we avoid that. Also, the team will be different for each project and a project wont start until the team is happy that there are enough people involved to do it. Some will be one person teams and others will be multi person teams. If a project is being dumped on one person we'll just stop and recruit others if possible.

The idea is that there are only a couple of projects ticking over at any time and they will lazily work their way to completion. Its not like we've been in any rush to do stuff before :)

We are free to organise this in any way that makes SENSE to us, as formally or informally as we like. If you dont think XYZ is a good way to organise then we'll try ABC...

Talk to me online anyway as I'd like to pick your brains...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

ill help out (php/mysql)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Ill also help out (PHP, mysql, bit of perl).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I'm up for this too, reasonable PHP & SQL knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

I like the idea of a Fantasy Formula 1. If you give me an outline of what you want exactly I'll consider heading up that project. I'm very experienced in PHP/MySQL, not working though, still in school so plenty of time to waste.

Great, glad to hear about you are interested in fantasy formula one.

Can you create a development area for yourself somewhere?
    Perhaps I'll get some cheap space somewhere... in fact I know the very place :)

I'd be happy to spec the required system but I think we could make it a generic Fantasy X handler if we thought about it for a while :)

I'll start a thread on it.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Don't bother about space for the moment, I've got loads to play with :)
    A generic Fantasy Sports app sounds quite challenging. It would be very difficult to make it THAT scalable, you'd end up writing individual modules for each sport, i.e. to grab results in for different sports (unless I find some genius sports site full of XML-formatted results for every sport you can think of, not likely though :p), to update user points based on new results, which is going to vary hugely. Other than that though the basic structure would be the same, so it would be no harm to develop it in such away that it allows for future integration of soccer, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

On a related note do anyone know of any formula one results feed ?

I'm supposed to be developing a formula one fantasy league thing for a few mates, but have had it on teh back-burner for quite some time.

If there was a news source I could propagate rather than have to scrape it from a site it'd be really handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I've been known to dabble with some php/mysql modin in the past so if ye need an extra man gis a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

/me has PHP but no time at the moment, would like to be able to do a bit in the future. Will see what time I can volunteer as the projects start up I suppose.

Thanks,

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Arion

I know I'm probably bringing a thread back from the dead, but a friend of mine has recently been developing a Fantasy F1 system.

Since a few people mentioned it you might want to take a look at http://www.compsoc.nuigalway.ie/~zeppelin/gpgame

AFAIK it works on Flash and uses a phpBB backend to store for the usernames, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Sign me up guys.

Am fairly competent (I think so anyway) with PHP/MySQL/PostGreSQL

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement