Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pegasus Bridge

Options
  • 26-08-2002 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭

On the midnight of D-Day, British gliders landed and the men began to capture vital links. One of these being Pegasus Bridge. It took 15min for the soilders to capture pegasus bridge but once captured they were to defend the bridge against counter attacks.

I watched Longest Day and started working on a map of pegasus bridge yesterday. Here are some screenshots for your eyes...

para_pegasus1.jpg
    para_pegasus2.jpg
    para_pegasus3.jpg

A view of Pegasus Bridge on 14th July 1944:
    29-pegasus_bridge.jpg

The allied ofjective for the map will be to capture the bridge and prevent axis reinforcements. For the axis it will be prevent the capture of the bridge.

If the allies take the bridge the axis will spawn further back from the bridge. I am also gonna try and have working gliders which will crash beside the bridge at the start of the map... :)

*Winters :)

Comments

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

I like the cut of your bridge.
    Although you'll still need a sweet layout and decent sized map for it to be a general success. Can't rely on the bridge getting all the credit...

Keep it up, looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I agree with Rope/Tintin :D . The map will be pretty small if its just the bridge.

The water seems very long and esentially its a big entity so it will cause lag i'd say.

Bridge looks pwn btw nice detail. Maybe you should stick some trees or something in there just to reduce the visabilty from the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

The bridge is gonna be just one part of tha map. Since thoese pictures i have added a lot more trees and bushes and also added more details to the bridge. I have also completed the bunker at the end of the bridge.

The map is gonna be a lot bigger. The bridge is just the main part of the map as it will be where all the fighting will be.

If i do get a lot of lag ill change it so there will be less lag.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Suggestion:

Try have it so that the bridge is the main choke point where the Allies have to cross (With the Axis shooting down upon them from gun towers or something) and then through the bunker and into an underground sewage system where they have to reach the surface at the other end and plant TEH BOEMB!

(I played DoD once, so ignore me if my suggestion does not comply)

A few more pictures of what I have done.

para_pegasus4.jpg
    para_pegasus5.jpg

Does anyone know how to work the func_train commands? I wanted to have a working glider on the map which will crashland .... any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Lighting still needs work tbh..

Looks good so far, i like the little Nest thing with the big Gun in it... Try setting your light_environment pitch to something like -70 and setting the last number in brightness to like 40 or something.. from the pics i assume it's at like 200...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Well make the glider a func_tracktrain then set its first stop target to "p1" or something then make a path_track then call it "p1" and its next target to "p2". Then all you have to do is trigger the train with an aaatrigger or any trigger for that matter and it will move. Btw you can have as many path_track's as you want or you could have your last one link to the first one so its a loop.

Looking better, and as DrAkE said the lighting could use a little smack in the mouth, but other than that it's looking quite nice from whats done so far.

The reason the lighting is soooooo bright is cos there are leaks in the map so the brightness is automaticly set to loike 200..... its gonna be all dark though.

Keep it dark(ish) and moody.
    Also, maybe a tint of fog might be nice (Under the bridge maybe).
    Rain might also be a good thing, but not if it's to be a wide open map.

• Advertisement

[quick sky making tutorial]
    MAke a brush covering the whole map.
    Hollow it and texture it with the "sky" texture.

Conclusion= no leaks, but higer r_speeds and longer compile times :(

[/quick sky....etc etc]

I never use the sky box cos it really just makes things tooo laggy. I have a load of sky's over the model the keep lag down...

my problem now is that the map will not compile :( . I am now getting errors and it doesnt compile the map. If someone can explain how to use the TBCC yolk ill try compiling it in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

i wuz actually gonna make this map ages ago but decided against it on the grounds i had already eaten too much that day.

Originally posted by Winters
    I never use the sky box cos it really just makes things tooo laggy. I have a load of sky's over the model the keep lag down...

my problem now is that the map will not compile :( . I am now getting errors and it doesnt compile the map. If someone can explain how to use the TBCC yolk ill try compiling it in that.

You could try and dcc me the map.. I could give it a go at compiling, and chances are that i already have the wad(s) you are using. Won't hurt to give it a shot.. dcc it or pm me a link..

I will try and zip the map down as much as i can. The map itself (in bsp form is over 1MB) the wad file for the map is just over 3MB .... :(

Ill zip it up about a million times and upload it to my host later... atm im running off my other pc... I installed an Audigy card today :)

dont botehr with the wad..

I'll just have a look see and then i can see any problems/anything that is wrong/right with the map.. I'd give an uber compile for ya too :)

Allright. I have zipped the file up and its only 70k now :D .. Ill attach the file from the network to this post and et ya see the problem i get when compiling. All i know is that there is an error about half way down and that stops it from fully compiling.

1000 post. Party time

Advertisement