Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One of the most annoying things in the world

Options
  • 25-08-2002 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Why is it IMPOSSIBLE go get depressed in public( not intentionally), and NOT get labelled an attention seeker?

For god's sake, it just shows how screwed up the world is when you are negatively labelled just because of an emotion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Depression is not something I've ever put too much thought into....

But if I were depressed, or if any of my friends were depressed, there would certainly be no labelling. Most people I know would be full of support. But this is because it would be unlike any of them, to act in such a way, unless there was something seriously wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Garóg, we've had this debate before... well, not really... you know yourself how I feel... I can't say much to you man, just, I dunno... try and be happy! Happiness is a good thing. A good thing indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i think people put off dealing with depression unless they have to. ive had at least 3 friends on anti depressants, including my boyf. I know everyone gets down at times, and with one of my friends, i completely dismissed her depression as a weakness, branded her an attention seeker (not publicly, just in my own mind) basically thought she was weak for going on anti depressants.

I understand now how wrong i was and how bad a friend i was to her for thinking that, even if i never told her. i understand now that at the end of the day, depression is an illness, and why should people be accused weak for suffering from it, when if they had an illness like diabtetes, people wouldnt think twice about them seeking help for it.

Im a pretty open minded person, so it comes as a shock to myself to know that i was so narrow minded when faced with it. But i was and i did come to terms with it, coz losing the people sufering from it was more of a wrench then not dealing with it. But some people may never be faced with it, and not have to deal with it, and be of the opinion that i had...scary, but real life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Hobnail Monkey

I mainly get depressed due to some inconsiderate or stupid actions or words from some of my friends. In cases like that, I don't give a fcuk what they say then.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Because people don't generally recognize depression as an illness and think of people who show extreme emotions as drama queens. Ignorance is the root of all prejudice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement