Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good riddance Soula

Options
  • 25-08-2002 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭

Hope those Internet kiosks in Greece work out for her...
    (from www.sbpost.ie)

Eircom executive quits to join OTE

By Gavin Daly
    Dublin, Ireland, 25 August, 2002

One of the most senior executives of Tony O'Reilly's Eircom has quit the firm to take a position with Greek telecoms operator OTE.

Soula Evans, who was behind the firm's €1.5 million Use your Mouse advertising campaign, left Eircom at the end of July, a spokesperson confirmed.

Evans joined Eircom in late 1999 and was director of consumer and business markets. However, the Eircom spokesperson said Evans had recently become director of business and products portfolio after an internal shake-up.

As consumer and business markets director, Evans was in charge of developing and implementing Eircom's commercial strategy for the residential and small and medium enterprise (SME) markets. It is understood those markets accounted for about half of Eircom's €1.7 billion turnover in the year to March 2001.

Prior to Eircom, she worked for British Telecom for six years in a variety of roles in product management, marketing and strategy. She was also a regular speaker at telecoms and industry conferences.

According to a press release from OTE, Evans -- who was born and educated in Greece - has joined "top management" with responsibility for retail and corporate customers. She was recruited as part of an extensive reorganisation at the Greek telco, which is listed on the Athens and New York Stock Exchanges.

The Eircom spokesperson said Evans had not been replaced and would not comment on a likely successor or the timeframe for a replacement. It is understood that a number of close colleagues of Evans also quit Eircom in recent weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

They must have seen they jumped above Ireland in terms of broadband access and decided to do something about it. Good choice greece:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

anyone see the pattern ?

England just starts getting broadband.. Soula leaves
    moves to ireland
    Ireland starts to get broadband.. Soula leaves
    moves to greece
    Greece will start to get broadband in ..... Soula leaves

Soula = Telecoms last ditch effort to halt dsl and broadband..and keep monopoly !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭BKtje

lol i pray that your right ;)

[dreamode]
    i hope we get it as cheap as UK then in a year or so. (sooner preferably of course ;) )
    [/dreamode]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Shame they didn't let us know earlier. We could have passed the hat around. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Shouldn't be long before GOFFL kicks off....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

and I bet they'll acheive their goal before we do :(
    ooo 500 posts.. I can now proudly call myself a freak :D
    ...wait, nothing new there...

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

My congratulations/condolences on your new found status. Your country salutes you. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

hey I'm a freak too :eek: YaHooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Originally posted by hmmm
    It is understood that a number of close colleagues of Evans also quit Eircom in recent weeks.

Anyone hear who these others are? Or why they left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

.......this shower were collectively responsible for some very interesting ads....I trust they were prepared to take full responsibility for what they said in them.

Does anybody have any names of those who are being let go quietly apart from Soula who is allegedly jumping and not bring pushed.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Thank god she is going.

I have been lucky enough not to hear the mistruths and fabrications this woman spread in person but the fact she is no longer in Eircom surely is a good thing.

Someone should send commiserations to the Greeks :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Muck

Does anybody have any names of those who are being let go quietly apart from Soula who is allegedly jumping and not bring pushed.

Probably most of the advertising department responsible for the Eircom Rat series?

Actually this looks very much like a spin on a standard corporate cull. (cynical editor mode)

The firesale to the Valentia mob turned Eircom from a largely debt free operation into a rather indebted one. The main motivation now seems to be paying back loans.

Eircom's staff problems are only set to get worse. In a boom market, (the dot.com one) it was able to sustain a high level of non-productive employees. Now in the recession, it has to economise and reduce the number of employees.

A few months ago, there was a story about the IT operations of Eircom being outsourced. Taken in this light, it seems that Eircom may be trying to outsource many of its non-critical operations in a more subtle manner.

Regards...jmcc

Indeed.
    As JmCC said, "it seems that Eircom may be trying to outsource many of its non-critical operations in a more subtle manner."

That should read non-unionised at the moment, they still can't get the CWU to agree to a cull of about 3000 of their members. Meanwhile they are merrily hacking the non-unionised staff and have cut back on capex to a point where maintenance backlogs may come to the 'notice' of the ODTR (hint hint). It seems the redundancy deal has disimproved to a point where the CWU will barely discuss it never mind go along with it.

The advertising budget has been hacked big time, after the sms over landline campaign ...the queen song.. they have nothing else in the pipeline. RTÉ have budgetted for the drop in revenue already.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by Muck
    Indeed.
    That should read non-unionised at the moment, they still can't get the CWU to agree to a cull of about 3000 of their members.

The problem for the new owners of Eircom will be in going back on the deals struck with Eircom unions. Somehow I think that this will be necessary if the company is to survive and it will be made clear to Eircom employees in the most brutal terms possible.

A story in the Sunday Times a few weeks ago mentioned the prospect of the Valentia mob issuing bonds to cover debt. At first glance it looked like a junk bonds move as the terms were for five and ten years I think. It would be interesting to see the exposure of the individual Valentia investors to the Worldcom or Enron debacles. At the time it was bought, Eircom may have looked like a good deal and even Denis O'Brien wanted to buy it. Now it looks like the Valentia mob are stuck with some major problems - an overstaffed company with a shrinking market facing increased competition and a lot of debt.

Regards...jmcc

Meanwhile their 'Goodwill' has been converted into a sleazy looking Rat thanks to rather untimely advertising campaign.

Beware of Greeks bearing Gifs I say.

How dya account for that if you are a NY banker trying to get a nervous NY auditor to pass your accounts every quarter.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭BKtje

Hmmz i wonder if the Greek ban on electronic games has nething to do with her going over there. Maybe its a new kind of advertisement or something. After her being in eircom nething is possible i guess :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Sovjohn

Originally posted by Dustaz
    They must have seen they jumped above Ireland in terms of broadband access and decided to do something about it. Good choice greece:P

Suuuure...Excellent choice! I believe a place in Uganda Telecoms will suit her better...

Originally posted by ando
    anyone see the pattern ?

England just starts getting broadband.. Soula leaves
    moves to ireland
    Ireland starts to get broadband.. Soula leaves
    moves to greece
    Greece will start to get broadband in ..... Soula leaves

Soula = Telecoms last ditch effort to halt dsl and broadband..and keep monopoly !

I absolutely agree with you 100%. I hope the day when I ll be able to post "Good Riddance Soula" in our board wont be too far away..

Originally posted by kamobe
    Shouldn't be long before GOFFL kicks off....

Here we are...Only 5 months later, here we are...

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    Hmmz i wonder if the Greek ban on electronic games has nething to do with her going over there. Maybe its a new kind of advertisement or something. After her being in eircom nething is possible i guess :p

Nah, that was a sign of how considerate and smart the ministers are...However, the OTEnet statements like "There is no need for broadband when there isn't content to support it (Greek content)", or "We predict that there will be 10,000 signups for DSL by late 2002" when there isn't DSL here, should be Soula-related..

• Advertisement
Advertisement