Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good tracks to aid progression..

Options
  • 23-08-2002 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Hey.

Well I bought an acoustic guitar there a few weeks ago, and things are going ok. Fingers toughening up a bit, not as much fret buzz as before, not too bad all in all. However, what I'd like are the members of boards.ie's suggestions as to what songs are good for practicing my chords/chord changes. The basic chords mind, CAGED, F major, Bb and powerchords :)

I've downloaded the tabs for some stuff i like, but tbh, I found it either a) a bit confusing and muddled, or b) That even though I'm hardly an expert, it didn't sound right, even taking into account that I'm not a good player yet. It was from fans though, so the quality could be questionable. Anyway, recommend me some tracks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

As you have only just started, it's good to try out some songs that have a bit of everything. I would recommend "Stairway To Heaven" and "Bring It On Home" by Led Zeppelin.

They are quite hard but it's always good to start off with something quite complex. I did. Stairway To Heaven and Sweet Child O' Mine are the two songs that I learned guitar with at the beginning.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Originally posted by Oeneus
    As you have only just started, it's good to try out some songs that have a bit of everything. I would recommend "Stairway To Heaven" and "Bring It On Home" by Led Zeppelin.

They are quite hard but it's always good to start off with something quite complex. I did. Stairway To Heaven and Sweet Child O' Mine are the two songs that I learned guitar with at the beginning.

Good Luck!

Cant say I would agree with trying to learn stairway after playing the guitar for 3 weeks. You are only going to frustrate yourself and give up. Pick something with 3 chords and simple strumming. Trying to change from one chord to another while keeping the correct rhythm is plenty work at the start. Try Brimful of Asha, House of the Rising Sun etc for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Stairway isn't too hard, It will be worth learning it. Try practice getting barre chords perfect too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

http://powertab.guitarnetwork.org

Visit this site, and download the program and then download some tabs for it at:

www.powertabs.net

Then you can practice by playing along to whatever songs you know and love, and learn some new chords in the process. Enjoy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

I would agree with Diarmuid that Stairway to heaven is a little advanced for a guitarist playing 3 weeks. Get the basic open chords down before you frustrate yourself.

Easy open chord songs:

Green Day - Time Of Your Life
    Eagle Eye Cherry - Save Tonight
    La's - There She Goes
    Knockin on Heavens Door (Any version)
    Monkees - Im a believer (Nice simple picking riff in that too)

Once you can play just about any open chord songs perfect power-chords and Barre chords.
    When you start picking songs you will find it much easier if you are able to make the chord shape competantly.
    Most importantly, have fun. And learn a little theory & scales before you go learning solo's. It will make it easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Thanks for the suggestions folks. On the topic, barre chords are absolutely killing my hands :) Plus I always seem to fail to hold down a string right, usually the 2nd one. Just tell me it gets easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Its gets easier :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

I suggest Sweet Home Alabama.

Its a 3 chord song but also has lots of cool little runs and stuff that you can play or not play if you want to.

Its a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Hi,

I've only been playing the acoustic guitar since christmas and the songs that I've found the best to play are as follows:

Oasis - Wonderwall
    Oasis - Cast no shadow
    4 of Us - Mary
    America - A horse with no name
    Semisonic - DND
    Stereophonics - Traffic.......(this in an absolutely amazing song)

to name but a few :)
    and they're all basic cords and fairly simple strumming too!!
    If you need the cord arrangements mail me and I'll send them to you if you like.

Good luck.

Baz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Jaicster

Sweet Home alabama - could some1 post up the chord/shapes to this song, i used to know the struming bit but i forgot it.

I have the tab for the picking version but i don't have the chord shapes i know one is D and i think the other is G but i'm unsure of the rest.
    Plz help me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Scon

Off the top of my head I think the basic chord shapes are D, A, G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

D C and G all the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

If I can add my 2 cents...

I started playing 15 years (or so) ago..

Of the first tunes I learned, the two I most learned from was Tie your mother down by Queen - great riff and it is a great rhythm trainer

The same goes for the Aerosmith version of Train kept a rollin - the perfect example of a band in a groove over a simple riff and the second half is a perfect example of an improvised solo over a repeating riff - Joe Perry is king...

If you're beginning to learn, concentrate more on playing to a rhythm - as its a lot harder to sound natural than you'd think.

Even after 15 years or so playing, I still discover little nuances so often where I can improve...

Hope this helps ...

Party on dude ... !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 82b6mush

Let me preface this by saying your either going to think im a sad old git or else find this a helpful tip........ aaaaneeeewaaay

I think I was playing guitar for about a year when I got a loan of Billy Joels Greatest Hits Book for Guitar and Piano..

Feel free to stop reading if
    A: you dont know who Billy Joel is or
    B: wouldnt be seen or heard dead playing one of his songs.

However THe book had some really great chord shapes and progressions to songs.
    To this day Those little chords have stayed with me and I think playing that book cover to cover for 6 months gave me the biggest leap forward since i started.

Mind you I wouldnt cross the road to see that Bollxx now.

Then there was the 3 years I spent in yoming under the tutelage of a blind 6 fingered banjo picker who had sold his soul to the devil at age 12 .... But thats another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 awrman

The Vines version of Outcast's Ms Jackson is incredibly simple to play.

C C/D Em D is the progression.

Really easy. Just download the track off the net or buy the Outtathaway single.

Most of the songs on their album are really easy, most notably autumn shade.

Advertisement