Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever been to the States?

Options
  • 23-08-2002 3:55pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

Share your stories here, many people are planning trips to the states now that the airline rates have dropped and your stories could help someone in making thier decisions on where to go, and where not to go :)

ever been to the states? 45 votes

yes and I plan to go again
    0% 0 votes
    yes and I hope not again
    64% 29 votes
    no but I hope to one day
    4% 2 votes
    no and I hope I never have to
    31% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Harmo

I hope to go over to florida in the next few years any idea what looking for part time work would be like?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

that's a very good question...are you moving there or just on holiday?
    How long do you plan to stay?

now having asked those questions these links may or may not help...let me know if you need any more info. and I will try to help :)

http://www.myvisanow.com/index.asp?page=v_b2
    http://www.usagreencard.com/

I have heard it was difficult for some to find work, but there is always someone that will hire you maybe "under the table" if you find the right people ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I'm going over or a year or so in Oct this year [didn't get the LC results I needed] to New Jersey to work.
    I've got family ore there.

I was over there about 4 years or so ago in NJ

I'm also hoping to go to Florida around Christmas for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Been to Chicago in May..i loved it, met someone special there :)which helps hehe, actually 2 hrs from Chicago...Champaign/Urbana where the Uni of Illinois is. So im going back there in Sept, till the end of Oct, may eventually move there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

would love to go to New york to work for a summer or a couple of months.. see if I like it, if I do, I'd probably stay...

problem is no-one i know want to go or cant financially aford it :( and I'm not that confident going by meself.
    Anyone know of any irish emigration groups/companies located in dublin which could give advice ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I went to Chicago for 3 weeks in July/August great craic, me mates are working there at the moment . Hope to go back next year and work for the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ando, dont worry bout going on ur own, once u get there, u'll find lots of stuff to do and have a great fun :D I went on me own, tho i had someone to meet me there, is there anyone u can visit there?

heres a link u can look at, enter the visa lottery, if u ever decide to move over, might be useful :)

NVAC Ireland

good luck :)

Ruu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Ruu
    is there anyone u can visit there?

no, thats the problem :( ah well, thx for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Went to kansas in January,it was feckin freezing but great city very friendly ppl. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

I've never been to the states but as soon as I get my degree (2yrs time hopefully) I'll definitely go over for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Beat,
    Do you know what Portland,Oregon is like in Feburary-weatherwise.Im going to visit friends there for 3 weeks early next year.
    Also car hire in the US do you need an International license or will my irish one do for 3 weeks?What are the rates like over there.Im looking to hire a 4x4 to do a bit of travelling ie Seattle,California etc.

hellrazer,
    click the link below and you will see the temp. forecast in every month of the year :)
    it gives you an idea of what to look for in temperature.
    http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/climatology/monthly/USOR0275

and here is a site to quote rentals for your trip in california :)
    http://www.foxrentacar.com/

hope I could help, let me know if there is anything else you would like to know ;)
    Hope you have a nice trip!

here is another site with different rental company choice's.
    http://www.foxrentacar.com/
    as far as the license, a valid signed Ireland License will be all you will need. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I've been to NY, Philadelphia and Detroit....going to New Orleans for halloween...had a great time everywhere I went to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Goin ore to Florida for 4 weeks for Christmas! GWAN!
    Should be great.

Atm, I've gotta wait a few months for my work visa to be sorted and then out to NJ for a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I've been to... (ignoring airport stops).

San Diego
    Serria Nevada
    BakersField, CA
    San Francisco (Twice)
    Orange County (Disney)
    Silicon Valley
    Boston
    New England
    Michigan (Detroit, Lansing, and various other places).
    Hawaii (Big Island, all over)
    El Paso
    New Mexico
    Florida (Disney)
    Cambridge, MA (and some various other places over MA).

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

Best. It would be a toss up between Hawaii and San Diego, although I really only went to Hawaii for a holiday. (so living and holiday differs).

Worst. Bakersfield in the middle of summer. 115F humid. I thought I was going to die from the heat. So hot you couldn't stand outside for long. El Paso was 110F max but it was dry heat so wasn't nearly as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I've been to New York, and I'm going to Florida and New York again next year. I loved NY.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Currently there at the moment (New Mexico) with the job. Nice place, damn hot and the people are mostly sound.

Have been to New York, Boston, Arizona, California (LA and San Diego). San Diego has to be the best place on Earth. The city is lovely, the people are soooo trendy (don't get me started on the women :D ) and the climate is brilliant.

Must remember to get my application in for the Green Card Lottery in October...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

been to it a lot, Calif to live, Boston/NY for work, Florida for holidays and the best snowboarding trip of my life in the Rockies in Utah.

Been shot at, made great friends, eaten bagels, attempted to explain the concept of public transport to americans and a million and one other things. Everyone should travel to the states (and other places) as often as possible to broaden the mind.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Wolf

I had a great time and meet some realy nice intelligent people and some nice ladies :D However I also meet alot of very silly poeple.
    Things like......

American: "I gota go home and study for my maths exam on tuesday.."

Me: "Oh right no probs......Wait a minuet tuuuuueeessssday?!?!?! whats that?"

American: "eh?? you know tuesday....... that day after monday?"

Me: "Oh yeah... right... nah you see we dont have that day..... cuz of the time difference."

American: "Sorry dude......."
    (siclence)

Me: "Well ill see ya on wensday....sorry i mean (deep breath) TU..SSeeday!"

I swaer this is the honest truth and iv got plenty more (such as less star signs...you know small sky :) ). Granted some of my American friends got in on some of the jokes but a hugh amount honestly though I didnt know what tuesday was. But still mostly nice people even if they can drink compared to the Irish but then who can.

Also the classic "Where you from" I say "Ireland". They say "did you drive over".

Still can wait to go back tho :D

Advertisement