Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest sellling game of all time?

Options
  • 23-08-2002 5:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

Just happened on my old game boy a few minutes ago (OK - I was looking for it) and noticed the copy of tetris almost glued into the thing.

Set me wondering: anyone know what the biggest selling game ever is?

I'm guessing that Tetris may have had one of the biggest user bases at one time, being distributed with pretty much every game boy sold (which perhaps disqualifies it from "biggest selling") and that Tomb Raider, Ridge Racer (as the first PSX title) and The Sims are contenders.

Anyone know what the "biggest" selling game is (or suggestions)? Allowing for all formats.

Just wondering and all that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

In europe I think its the Sims...

Worldwide I would guess FF VII or FF X

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Multi Format, its Tetris. By a considerable distance. Something like 10 million copies on the GB alone (and those figures are about 5 years old).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

DUnno about PC, but on console's its pokemon.
    I'd say half life is well up there in sales.

[EDIT]
    Pokemon sold something like 6 million in the 1st week of release in japan alone quigs, it outsells tetris by a good bit :)
    [/EDIT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sims on Pc ,Tetris in all format

kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Cue shinji with his journalist hat on (complete with little 'Scoop' tag in the brim) to fill us in:)

• Advertisement

That may be so, but Pokemon is limited to one format. Tetris has been on every other console and home PC since 1988. I still think that it outsold Pokemon. And by a distance too.

Anyone out there know the answer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

GTA3 is the biggest selling playstation game of all time(including the ps1).
    and rightly so:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

This site states that super mario 3 was the biggest selling video game of all time 8 million copies in the us alone.

http://www.tomheroes.com/Video%20Games%20FS/collectnin.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Super Mario 3 is often bandied around as the best selling game of all time - it's quite possible that it is, but unfortunately there are no hard and fast figures for game sales back then so it's very hard to tell if it's true or not.

Tetris is not the best selling game of all time, simply because there are so many versions of it. When you talk about game sales, you talk about specific versions - so for example, Tetris DX is a different game to original Tetris which is a different game to Tetris Worlds.

Final Fantasy VII did about 14-16million copies worldwide, which is damn close to the record - certainly the best selling game of the PlayStation era.

GTA3 is the best selling PS2 title in the UK to date (just under 850k copies so far), and similarly for the USA (just under 3.2m copies). It hasn't done so well in Japan though - under a million copies. FFX has sold similar numbers worldwide - far far more in Japan, about half as many in the USA and significantly fewer in Europe.

Pokemon titles sell very well but again, you can't combine Pokemon red / silver / blue /gold / green / pink / orange / whateverthefúck as one product - they're all seperate games.

Yeah the million and one tetris versions make it hard to put a number on it. I'd still reckon, Tetris or Tetris variants must be the most popular game (s) in the world.

Super Mario 3, what a game, now that it just crying out for a GBA remake and I for one will be first in the queue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

I would hav ethought Monoply was the biggest selling game ever! Hell you can even get it as a computer game!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by spooky donkey
    I would hav ethought Monoply was the biggest selling game ever! Hell you can even get it as a computer game!

Smartypants:D

True though (although I was intending to limt it to PC/console/Mac/etc)

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it depends where you read it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

been that dreadful game Myst. However I believed the Sims took over the mantle(this may be just PC, however)

Advertisement