Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smashing pumpkins distortion? and mini poll!

Options
  • 20-08-2002 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

hello all, i would like to know what distortion pedal does the pumpkins use at the start of zero, or is it just harmonics as my extra cool frend says? plz help, and just for kicks,

**~ what is your favorite fx pedal?~**
    mines is the pedal that goes swoosh.. i think its the flanger, its like a space ship noise....or a wah wah. thanks all!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kylereese

hey,

corgan has a serious amount of gear he uses loads of preamps and stuff but the main sound or the zero sound you can get from a boss metal zone(black pedal) but you have to tweak the eq so the sound is bassy but has a bit of treble ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boddah

He does use harmonics, the cool squeally bits you hear are made by playing a muted low e string at 2.6 3 and 4 on the fretboard (i think). Select bridge pickup for the best sound.

The best Pumpkins-y distortion pedal to use imo is the Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi, this was used by the Pumpkins in all of Siamese Dream and i think in most of Gish and MCIS. I gots one a few months ago, they're expensive but they have a really cool creamy fuzzy pumpkinsy sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kylereese

you're right the main pumpkins rythm sound was a big muff thru corgans jcm800 head, but i found that for zero its impossible to get that amount of gain & rasping bite with just a big muff ( cos well i'd say corgan had a **** load of other gates & eq's he ran it thru. i managed to get close to the exact tone with my metal zone with the bass up full, treble at 6, and both mids at 5 goin thru my valvestate with a jagmaster.......

Advertisement