Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets do a test.

Options
  • 19-08-2002 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

Right, alot of ppl go on about leitrim and words like narnia, myth and bog hoppers come to mind so here is my challange, if you decide to take it then that is up to you.

What is the most intereasting fact about Leitrim that you are willing to share with the www.

Lets start the ball rolling

1. Leitrim has the shortest coastline in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well Nanook, Mr. Moderator sir. Off the top of my head I can think of some more interesting facts.

2) The county with the fewest inhabitants is county Leitrim with just 25,032 inhabitants at the last estimate.

3) The most sparsely populated county in Ireland is Leitrim, with a mere 15.8 inhabitants per square kilometre at the last estimate.

4) There exists, in Leitrim, Creevelea Franciscan Friary. Founded by Owen O'Rourke and his wife Margaret in 1508, it was the last Franciscan friary to be founded in Ireland before the Suppression of the Monasteries.

... umm I can't think of anything else, my mind is a bit goggled..

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

5) Leitrim is only one of two counties outside Ulster that borders with Northern Ireland. The other county that borders NI is Louth.

6) Leitrim has the largest suicide rate in the country

7) Ballinamore is the biggest ****hole in the country

NOW FOR YA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Right the ballinamore one i will give you but i am not going with the suicide rate, will have to shut that one down 1999 figures are not permissable as evidence, :D , but ballinamore, I have to say you are a brave person putting ballinamore down but hey you know what you are doing lol.

For anyone who know's leirtrim then you will know what i am on about up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

8) No-one is ACTUALLY from Leitrim. Many people have heard of this county but no-one has actually seen it.
    It's a government conspiracy,they fool us into believing that there is a leitrim,but there is not.like an Area 51 in reverse.

Seriously i have *never* met anyone from leitrim. sure it's in connaught..but i have never seen the place :confused: not any of the inhabitants

• Advertisement

it did take a while but we have our first muppet.

Ruaidhri it wasn't going to be long before anyone came out with the no one is from there routine, so i have to to congratulate you on being the Origional Leitrim flamer Muppe.

Congratulations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

i was actually trying to be serious in the second part of that post there. i'm not basahing Leitrim,it's just that i have NEVER met anyone from Leitrim..so i dont have an opinion of the county.i dont know of anything that has come from leitrim and i dont know any business based in leitrim.

i will keep an eye on this board to pick up some information though.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Originally posted by Ruaidhri
    .i dont know of anything that has come from leitrim and i dont know any business based in leitrim.
    MBNA?
    Got a credit card?

Well done condor, I have to say that MBNA is a magnificent building on the dublin road out of carrick.

They promised alot to the community of carrick before getting the permission to loctate there and it seems that the majority has come to light so far, Rumor has it that they are expanding with an increase to existing employment

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Originally posted by nanook
    Well done condor, I have to say that MBNA is a magnificent building on the dublin road out of carrick.

They promised alot to the community of carrick before getting the permission to loctate there and it seems that the majority has come to light so far, Rumor has it that they are expanding with an increase to existing employment
    Yeah looks like they are building another building opposite the lovely one they have already :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ballydung

Just came back from around Dowra a few weeks ago and im just recovered. Many a late late night in some of the local establishments there ( Oh yeah i pissed in the shannon also or did i fall in ?? oh well)

ahhhhhhh dowra
    home of the warm pint and the cold stare.

Did you go into mels or gildea's

Mels and the one next door and "boogies" there by the bridge.
    Ah the stare I experienced that alright

ahhhhhh

aggie buggies

what a spot
    did it have sawdust on the floor

No sawdust but plenty of glass and toilet floor was covered in piss

But I know what you mean I heard it was quite a place, but its been re-opened and its very nice inside, but the bar jutts out and when there are a few bodies in there it gets very tight, but thats ok if your next to one of the nice ladies. If only all pubs had sutch nice surroundings and more importantly did'nt give a toss about closing time.

Ruaidhri wrote: »
    i was actually trying to be serious in the second part of that post there. i'm not basahing Leitrim,it's just that i have NEVER met anyone from Leitrim..so i dont have an opinion of the county.i dont know of anything that has come from leitrim and i dont know any business based in leitrim.

Where exactly are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Where exactly are you from?

Um. When is this thread from?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Dont think he noticed the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

muffler wrote: »
    Dont think he noticed the date.

He should've read it though. Then he would've noticed he already posted in it six years ago:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Time flies when you're having fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭cronndiesel

Ruaidhri wrote: »

sean mac deirmada-"the mind of the reveloution" 1916 rising

james gralton

fionn mac cuil was a regular there got some elexer of power/energy er... stuff on slibh an iareann
    (sorry about this awful spelling)

o donebhann beara (of the famous long march) ended his march there was taken in by o rourke and given refuge in drumahaire castle

largest irish expatriate commuity in US (donegal has second largest)

largest coal mine in ireland

oldest iron mines (circa pre 2000bc)

last narrow gauge railway to close (1957)

part of europes oldest and largest stone age "necropolis"

higher standard then sweden iron products made there for a while

St Patrick founded some monestarys and holy wells that are still around

all i can think of so far

Further readiing: leitrim guardian/a lifes catch/sean mac diarmada: "mind of the reveloution"- sean mac atanacsy/leitrim observer archives/sligo champion archives/I.T sligo school of archeology dept

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Isn't the register of births and deaths in Leitrim?

I like Leitrim, I know a few people from there and they're all great. But it really is the back-end of nowhere. I assume it comes from the Irish for Liath something - so it's grey.
    Smallest number of vehicles registered in the country have LM reg, although I am not sure that this makes it exclusive

Advertisement