Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dating etc....

• 18-08-2002 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a little advice, particularly from the females (I presume we have some on here).
    The big question is, how do girls like to be asked out? I have been out of the whole dating/asking out scene for a while (too many long-term relationships) and am just curious how it all works these days.
    The reason I need to know is that I was out with a few work colleagues at the weekend, and met a friend of a girl I work with. For some reason, I actually think I like her a lot. We talked a lot, found out we have a lot in common and basically everyone had a great night. Nothing happened, however, as she and the girl I work with had to catch a bus at the end of the night.
    On testing the water (nothing too obvious) with my work colleague, she stated that this girl was not really pushed about relationships (that she could take them or leave them)
    So this leaves me with a quandary.
    Do I ask the girl I work with to see how her friend feels, i.e., if she might go out with me if asked, or do I take the bull by the horns and just approach this girl directly(I have her mobile number). And what way should I do it? A couple of text messages followed by a call, or just ring her up and ask.
    I know I might sound a little sad, but I have been involved in about 6 long-term relationships, and they usually started without me having to make this kind of effort, so I am a bit clueless.
    Any advice would be much appreciated,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

Take it slow.... You Might call her or a few Text Messages, but dont rush. Put yourself in the situation where ye are out for drinks together again.

Dont be too obvious at the start, just be friendly.. test the water a bit more. If it seems right, ask her out for a drink and go from there. Good Luck! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

I suppose you are right. I don't want to appear too keen. However I must admit that this is the first girl I have met in quite a while who I actually like. It's weird, but I am seriously fed up of the whole club/pub scene in Ireland where every bloke seems to be in competition to see who is the loudest/funniest/maddest. Personality seems to be more of an afterthought. (Maybe I am too old)
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

animated sig > back to the newbies board you go!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

My comment is no longer relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Something

I have no comment :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Jeez Count666, as well as being an animated signature which isn't allowed, it was inducing spasms in my frontal lobes.

*shudder*

Can you change your signature please?

Oh, and advice... Just go for it and call her. Don't whatever you do bring a plaquard that has a flashing Quake logo on it and you'll be fine. Grab the bull by the horns and grab her horn by the balls... or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

well me be a gurly , an my advice would be dont ask the girl you work with anything , because well it tends to lead to the whole your mate fancies my mate thing which is seriously annoyin , yeah text her a few times just to test the water and then if she seems interested ring her up and ask her straight out , the direct approach is just a whole lot better
    good luck

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

speaking from the female point of view, I get what you mean, I also was in a couple of really long term relationships and couldn't believe how much things had changed when it came to dating!!!
    IMO, forget about asking her mate (that's what 12 year olds do) just call her up, ask her if she is free any time in the next week or so and would she fancy going out for a drink and just take it from there... if she is even slightly interested she will say yes. I see no reason for playing games, after all, we're too old for that now, I don't know about you, but I like things straight from the hip and no bullsh*t; anyway, as it is, you've nothing to loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Missy

you should definatley texted her. Talk about things in general, and then, in for the kill. I, myself, wouldn't mind a complement (something small!) or something along the lines, you could see how she reacts to that, and if positive, in 4 the kill and if its negitive, you wont end up getting rejected but can continue being friends.

you get my drift?

hope i helped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Ok, The plan is to get her number or email address from my work colleague. (I don't have her number now) Send her a mail or test and go from there. I spoke to a m8 of mine and he just said his usual catchphrase (with Roy Keane accent) 'Life's too short'. If I get a positive reaction good if not, it probably wouldn't have happened anyway, and just move on to the next one.
    Does that sound bad?
    (Hope this sig is less nausea-inducing)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Perfect!

(and so is the sig :))

Good luck matey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'd just ask her if she'd like to go out some time - a drink or whatever. Yes answer? Suggest sometime between 3 days and 7 days in the future.

I'm not particularly a dance around the bush like an idiot for six months kind of person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I will let ye all know how I get on. (Except if she refuses, in which case I will change my name and never mention it again!!)

Advertisement