Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good times in sligo Myth or Fact

Options
  • 15-08-2002 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

Intereasting stories about sligo please, c'mon someone has to have one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

a) Interesting and Sligo dont fit in the same sentance.
    b) Good times and Sligo dont fit in the same sentance.

Therefore:

Sligo is neither full of good times, or interesting.

:p

C.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Any thoughts on the Sligo-Dublin train 'service'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

You mean the 1970's Death-Mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by genie
    Any thoughts on the Sligo-Dublin train 'service'?

Yes. I want to blow it up. I was going to France and got the bus down to Dublin from Donegal, and was getting the train to Rosslare to catch the Ferry. It was to be my first time abroad and I was très excited, as they say in frog.

Got to Dublin, and got a taxi to the Station (can't remeber the name) cause I'd a ton weight in bags and had no idea where the bloomin station was. I went and bought my ticket, and went to the gate where the guy was checking tickets. I asked him which was my train and I got it. Eventually it left, with about a million people on it. Add a few chickens and it woulda been India.

Well, anyway, I was settling down and eventually the train came to the first stop. While the train was pulling out I looked to see what station it was, and saw the sign for "Maynooth". Even with my complete lack of geography I knew that Maynooth was not between Dublin and Rosslare..

So I turned to the girl sitting beside me and asked her "What time does the train arive". How disgusted and sickened I was when I heard "in Sligo?" I'll never be able to explain fully.

The train staff were very understanding - they charged me for an upgrade to Sligo :mad:

So after 4 days crossing India (or four hours crossing Ireland - I seriously have no idea how long it took cause I was so sick) I eventually landed in Sligo. There I had to wait three hours for a bus back to civilisation in Donegal.

What a lovely little triangle journey.

Got to France eventually - my parents drove me to Cork to get the Ferry so I wouldn't miss it :D

Moral of the story - drive. And don't get the ferry - it's crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Has anyone been on the 'early bird' train? You know, the one which leaves Sligo on a Monday morning at 5am and more often than not has no heating, no buffet car, and one morning when I was on it, no lights. Has anyone caught hypothermia or managed to get more than 5 mins of sleep whithout ending up on the floor?:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement