Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight

Options
  • 13-08-2002 3:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Ive been on boards.ie for a bit now and ive finally plucked up the courage to post here..so here goes hehe...

Im 20/m..im bout 5"9 and im 9 1/2 stone or so. Ive pretty much stuck around that weight since 5-10 years..ive been a vegeterian for 7 years now, i dont drink, smoke or anything.. thing is..im scared i'll get fat, the reality is that im a thin as a matchstick..but im still scared, ive tried vitamins, but sometimes im afraid to eat too much incase id put on weight. ive seen a doctor and hes questioned this..he put it down to my activities in animal rights groups..saying that the ppl involved with me put pressure on me..which hasnt happened, its been me. He said if i drop below 9 stone, then im gonna get in trouble and he'd have to send me to a physchiatrist ..i think im losing weight all the time..anyone help?:confused: thanks in advance

Ruu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Try doing a little bit of weight training.
    your weight will go up, and you'll become slightly bulkier, but it will be muscle.
    Do you ahve somewhere you can do chinups?
    Get some good cookery books for vegetarians.

Not meaning to try to give you a ;solution-in-a-box', or tell you your business, but this sounds like you'll need a bit of a big change in lifestyle (not diet or beliefs etc. :) ).
    Read up on food stuffs where you cna get protein from.

You *could* keep a few chickens free range out the back if you wanted. Free eggs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Your a vegitarian, your thin as hell, and your worried about becoming fat? IMO your paranoid, you wont put on wieght nearly as fast as some people claim, if your that worried about it, just work out 3 times a week for an hour each go, then you wont have a pound of fat on you no matter what you eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Your a vegitarian, your thin as hell, and your worried about becoming fat? IMO your paranoid

gonna have to disagree with you on this one. i'm almost in the exactly same boat(but i'm 5"7)BUT i dont eat much vegetables.
    it's my opinion that some ppl are going to stay the same weight no matter what. their metabolism basically keeps them that way.

it does seem that you are a bit paranoid about putting on weight. i'd say try not to worry about it at all.
    but sometimes im afraid to eat too much incase id put on weight
    if i were you i'd seriously think about my lifestyle. you are going to have to decide is this the way i want to be for the rest of my life?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

but sometimes im afraid to eat too much incase id put on weight

if you were 3 stone heavier, you still would not be overweight! be very careful, anorexics never consider themselves too thin, you sound to me like you could be borderline, as you are afraid to eat too much (I am not a medical person) but considering that you do not drink (the thing that puts on the most weight on a person) I really don't see what you have to worry about, try to eat a little more of the food you are eating at the moment, find out which ones put on some weight, eg. peanuts.
    SyxPak's advice also sound's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Well, the best thing you've said is that you know that you are in reality rather thing, if you weren't able to accept this then it'd be a serious problem.

As it is you are afraid of gaining weight, and there is a lot of people like you, and unfortunatly many of them, after putting on weight, turn to anorexia and/or bullemia.

Is there are reason *why* you are afraid of putting on weight? Are you afraid of what other people will think or how you will feel about yourself?

Perhaps you should see a nutritionalist (spelling?) to discuss your weight and what you can/can't eat and things like that.

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

no i dont mind how i look..i jus dont want to end up like some ppl that i know of...like a big belly hehe, i jus want to stay the weight i am..I often try exercising and walking, that helps so i guess i'll try more of that. I think i need to sleep more (i dont sleep more than an hr every nite), get my mind off it, thanks for all ur replies ppl :) i appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

woops forgot to enter me password there..
    I think i need to get a dietician or something, to see what good healthy low fat foods there is, cos i havent a clue..if i had my way, id be eating popcorn and rice cakes all day :p hehe thanks guys and gals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Dude, you need to eat, full stop. There's a reason the doc is threatening to send you to a psychiatrist.

I consider myself slightly overweight at the moment - I'm 5'7 and 14.5 stone. Ok, so I'm a big mofo for my height, but I'm there's no way I'm more than 1 stone overweight[1] - and that's 2" less than yourself and 5 stone heavier... no matter how "wirily" built you are, you can still put on a coupla stone without getting "fat" (an extremely subjective term).

Get to the gym, that's a good idea, but don't just go there without also starting to eat decently.

Check out VHIs Fitness & Nutrition page.

Oh, and btw I think a couple of pints of Arthurs best every now and then wouldn't hurt :) Drink is good :)

Cheers,
    Al.

1. I'm currently in training to get myself back into shape after 3 seasons away from the front row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

You are afraid to eat incase you may end up over weight but yet you can regognise that currently, you are a skinny guy...
    Okay, so weight is not the issue here is it?

I could apply the logic here but from the above you appear to be rejecting it.

Im 6,3 (hate it) and just under 13 and would not consider my self thin but i do a lot of exercise so my time is always consumed between work, leisure and shall we say..personnel growth(?) so i dont have time for the idle hands mentality or life style, which is what you may have.

Get active (whatever floats your boat), concentrate on what you like and issues can fade away.

cya...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by chernobyl

Im 6,3 (hate it) and just under 13 and would not consider my self thin

Hehe same as me, only I consider myself to be thin and I would like to be taller actually (even if it does make clothes shopping that little bit more difficult).

Ruu, you are afraid to gain weight, but you probably need to gain some.
    You are not going to get fat all of a sudden. If you maintain a well balanced diet and exercise you will be fine. Go to the gym and get a weights program, you can build muscle and gain weight that way. And if you do this, there is no chance of you being fat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

It sounds to me that the issues re: your weight are a cover up for something else. I say this because you appear to be overly anxious about gaining weight and becoming fat (when your clearly not) and two - you only sleep one hour a night (that is not enough sleep at all). Ask yourself as to why you are afraid of putting weight and where has this fear come from. Although I am not anorexic, I have binged on food and used to obsess about food or my weight, I have since learned that my obsessing about being fat is masking some other deeper problem. Its possible this could be the case for you.

As to eating healthy foods, I was a vegetarian and you can make some really nice dishes. I make a lot of salads, for example, chop a bit of onion, cucumber, grated carrot, small tomatoes - chopped, what ever, throw in some pine nuts or sunflower seeds and then I make a marinade of natural yougurt with olive oil, salt and black pepper and toss it all together. Or you can get a baguette, drizzle some olive oil, sliced tomatoes cover with mozzarella or grated cheese and grill (hmmm). Good foods would be all veggies, fruit, seeds, nuts (not roasted peanuts) olive oils, soya products (you can get soya mince or quorn pieces which are excellent for protein). Also baked beans, eggs, cheese, yogurts (espically natural). Brown bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. Rice cakes are good, also garlic too. Great to add to a stir fry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

thanks for all ur replies which have been very helpful :) its appreciated..really

Ive tried making up my own dishes instead of following any books, im not trying to put on weight, but Im watching the foods i do eat, want them to be most healthy and less fat in em ..at least i wont starve then. Ive been exercising each nite before bed and i got my first good nites sleep in months last nite, so im working it out, thanks again all!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hey, np :)

I'm 6' even and about 14st.
    Wouldn't mind beinga bit fitter (couldn't care less how much i weight tbh) and a bit more toned ;)
    But at the moment I'm happy enough with myself.

Might go to the gym in college this eyar, get myself in shape.

Probably going to get some weights for at home too..

Doing chinup sin the rafters in teh garage atm :)

If you find anything particularly tastey and decent enough for you, please, pelase god, post on the food/drink board :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Syxer in all fairness, many have joined the gym with good intentions but have found it to be a rather silly investment, in that they do not have enough work in it;)

Advertisement